• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver Brands

KDOT

Hey guys,

I've just come across the website and was looking for a little knowledge & advice.

When purchasing silver bars does it make a huge difference which brand you buy?

I've been looking for Engelhard or Johnson Matthey but unable to find any availability.

I see alot of PAMP available but not sure if the brand makes a difference.

I did find a website who had Engelhard available ( https://silvergoldbull.co.uk/1-oz-engelhard-silver-bar )  however the bar doesnt have a serial no on the pic so i assume its fake.

what are the best brands?

also, why are some prices so over the spot? I would of thought 7-10% is reasonable but i see atleast 40-50% which is ridiculous. any way around this?

thanks in advance.

Not all Engelhard an JM bars came with a serial number: https://allengelhard.com/definitive-pages/engelhard-1oz-class-2/

Those bars command a higher premium since they are no longer produced and some can be quite rare.

"When purchasing silver bars does it make a huge difference which brand you buy?"

Yes and no. It depends what your stacking goals are. Before you buy anything I encourage you to do alot of research and formulate a strategy for stacking and an exit plan if applicable...

https://www.jmbullion.com/investing-guide/

33 minutes ago, KDOT said:

why are some prices so over the spot? I would of thought 7-10% is reasonable but i see atleast 40-50% which is ridiculous. any way around this?

In UK and almost all of UE 20 % VAT is applied on silver, exception been Estonia.

16 minutes ago, STONE said:

Not all Engelhard an JM bars came with a serial number: https://allengelhard.com/definitive-pages/engelhard-1oz-class-2/

Those bars command a higher premium since they are no longer produced and some can be quite rare.

"When purchasing silver bars does it make a huge difference which brand you buy?"

Yes and no. It depends what your stacking goals are. Before you buy anything I encourage you to do alot of research and formulate a strategy for stacking and an exit plan if applicable...

https://www.jmbullion.com/investing-guide/

I appreciate your feedback. I will do more research before I commit to buying. 

goals for stacking is a very long term hold to keep as an asset and potential sell 10+ years down the line. 

also invest on a monthly basis. 

you stated that branding depends on my goal, can you give alittle more insight, if poss, thanks 

Added 0 minutes later...
12 minutes ago, daca said:

In UK and almost all of UE 20 % VAT is applied on silver, exception been Estonia.

Ah yes, this slipped my mind. Thank you! 

"you stated that branding depends on my goal, can you give alittle more insight, if poss, thanks"

If your goal is just PM weight to hold and sell in bulk to a dealer, then you are better off getting the cheapest regardless of brand. 

If you plan to be more active, selling for profit to add weight in the long term, then getting a desirable brand that might be collectable and command higher premiums in the future might be a better way to go. 

4 hours ago, Stacker2020 said:

"you stated that branding depends on my goal, can you give alittle more insight, if poss, thanks"

If your goal is just PM weight to hold and sell in bulk to a dealer, then you are better off getting the cheapest regardless of brand. 

If you plan to be more active, selling for profit to add weight in the long term, then getting a desirable brand that might be collectable and command higher premiums in the future might be a better way to go. 

Thank you for this information! Makes sense!! Thank you.

I've been told that the Johnson Matthey bars get a decent premium due to them no longer being produced.  Something that nobody here has brought up is that serial numbers themselves can increase the value of your bar of silver, if you have a 1 ounce bar of silver with the serial number being all ''8''' - as 888888888, or all ''3'' - as in 333333333, or a combination of ''8'' and ''3'' - lik 883383833, those sort of serial numbers could make your one ounce bar of silver worth an absolut fortune especially if it's from a well knoswn brand like Johnson Matthey - the Chinese would have a bidding war for 1 ounce bars of silver from well known brands with so called ''lucky numbers'' ''8'' and ''3'' being the luckiest numbers to them just Google the worlds most expensive licence plate who owns it and what it is, it isn't a number plate that sort of spells out a word, it's a number plate that is all 8's as in 8888, and it's owned by a Chinese person, by the way the number ''4'' which in Chinese is the same word as ''death'' is considered to be an extremely unlucky number and Chinese people will actually pay a premium for silver bars with serial numbers that don't have the number ''4'' in them.

As a buyer if your not superstitious gold and silver bars can actually be bought for less than their spot price in Asian countries, predominantly Chinese countries or countries with a predominant Chinese culture, population of Chinese people, if the bars have serial numbers with the number ''4'' in them, the more 4's the serial number has in it, the more discount on spot price you will get.

Archived