• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Which 1/4 coins to chase for stacking ??

Becca

Interesting the premiums on coins there does not seem to be a ceiling on what people will add on. Two sovereigns last week two dealers pitched next to each other one 2% over spot and the other £560 the reason he could give was it was a special one because some mumbo jumbo (both bullion).

So given the 1/4 gold coins carry a premium whether they be 1/4 size or weight which are the more accessible and sit closest to spot on average of course.

Which are the ones to stack in your opinions?

B

In my opinion, Britannia is probably your better choice if considering 1/4oz size, as it is a British coin and CGT free so most people like it. It does have some special designs in some years and those carry higher premium as well. 

Sovereign does have a lower premium in general, except for those key dates ones. Common sovereigns are more easily accessible and to liquidated when required.

If you are in the UK, want to stack coins with about 1/4 oz gold content, want to buy 'new', and want the most gold for your fiat currency, then it's bullion sovereigns all the way.

The pure gold 1/4 oz coins are nice, but the premiums are significantly higher.  I would rather save for longer and buy a 1 oz gold coin at a similar premium to a bullion sovereign.

Occasionally you can get new 1/4 oz coins at better value from dealers when they have a sale on.  Currently I think the 2019 Gold Standard 1/4 oz coin is the cheapest new one - on sale at Royal Mint Bullion for less than a new 1/4 oz Britannia.

I have 10 1/4 oz gold bullion coins, but when I finish the Queen's Beasts series this year I doubt it I will buy (m)any more.

Take a look at this great site, it lists the cuurent price of common bullion gold coins and the percentages above spot price from most of the main dealers. http://www.goldprice.eu5.net/ (Kudos to site builder and member @Darr3nG )

You can quickly see that the sovereign is going to difficult to beat, given its availability and general ease of purchase and resale.

It’s interesting that you categorise sovereigns as 1/4oz gold coins because that’s exactly how I perceive them. I don’t know if we’re doing anything wrong by categorising them that way. I stack both 1oz and 1/4oz gold coins including sovereigns. I would never pay £560 for a bullion sovereign. In fact, I’ve got a stack of over eighteen different 1/4oz world bullion gold coins and never paid anything close to £560 for them. We’re talking about coins as exotic as Somalian Elephants and Libertads in my collection. However, I have no issues at all with numismatic sovereigns such as the Edward VIII sovereign which sold recently for a million pounds. It’s really difficult to single out which 1/4oz world bullion coin in my collection is worth stacking price-wise because of my eclectic tastes.

3 hours ago, Stuntman said:

The pure gold 1/4 oz coins are nice, but the premiums are significantly higher.  I would rather save for longer and buy a 1 oz gold coin at a similar premium to a bullion sovereign.

I buy both 1/4oz and 1oz gold bullion coins. Yes, I’ve found that the premiums on the 1/4oz coins are much more higher than their 1oz equivalents. One explanation that is sometimes given for this is that the manufacturing costs for 1/4oz coins is greater than for 1oz coins. However, one of my suspicions is that more stackers buy fractional gold coins than 1oz gold coins under the false impression they’re better value. I’ve bought eight 1oz gold bullion coins ranging from the mundane Britannia to the exotic Somalian Elephant. Their premiums were significantly lower than their 1/4oz equivalents which I had bought over the course of a previous year.

For pure stacking, then it has to be the cheapest Sovs available.  

For quarter ounce in the UK then Brits.

I have a few quarter ounce coins but can’t justify the premium when compared to Sovs.  

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Archived