• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Leaving the EU - SOTD Sovereign

creative

The retailers are taking the risk here. If the coin had been a flop, who is honestly going to buy a coin because they feel sorry for the the retailer and it would be nice to help them out. The retailer consequently then gets stuck with thousands of pounds of stock they cant shift.

Yes surging can be annoying but we all had the opportunity to buy early at reduced prices, so we cant really complain if the coin is popular and the price goes up. Try booking an airline flight to Europe when an English team makes a European football final. The clever ones get in early and take a chance.

In hindsight, a wonderful thing, who wouldn't have sold their granny to get in at the cost price for a gold una but who was going to risk 4k on an off chance.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What the CC is doing is a legitimate way of controlling demand. In cases of popular coins like these with strictly limited mintage, and many more interested buyers, there comes a stage in the selling process where the volume of sales have to be controlled, especially if only a few coins are left. Then higher prices weed out the majority of buyers and let those who are most serious about getting one have one. It's classical supply and demand, and these actions also have a positive influence on the value of the coins for owners. They appear more exclusive and sought after, and that is what many collectors want. 

If anyone is serious about getting this coin at the original price, they certainly can by either be very early or by arrangement beforehand with the dealer to keep one, which is possible.

10 minutes ago, silversurf said:

The retailers are taking the risk here. If the coin had been a flop, who is honestly going to buy a coin because they feel sorry for the the retailer and it would be nice to help them out. The retailer consequently then gets stuck with thousands of pounds of stock they cant shift.

Yes surging can be annoying but we all had the opportunity to buy early at reduced prices, so we cant really complain if the coin is popular and the price goes up. Try booking an airline flight to Europe when an English team makes a European football final. The MAD ones get in early and take a chance.

In hindsight, a wonderful thing, who wouldn't have sold their granny to get in at the cost price for a gold una but who was going to risk 4k on an off chance.

Corrected your typo there ;)

Imo the RM took a risk and absolutely took the pish on price and mintage, and it's paid off for them handsomely. This coin is obviously quite unique and so very hard to judge. I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few were gifted, quite possibly to politicians. Even if not, how many affluent staunch Brexiteers are there? Must be quite a few there are loads around here in London commuter belt!

I bet the likes of our friends H & B would have had a field day with this one, being able to cite the Una :(

This does throw a couple of possible spanners in the works for SotD collectors. I know a few on here who may not have posted. It's not Sovereign or monarchy related so at this price and at this mintage I think some of them may have persuaded themselves out of this one and are now either gutted (could be temporary if lots are dumped by flippers) or quietly pleased but perhaps worried about the prices of future issues.

Personally I am very relieved that I never got sucked into to what at first looked like quite a nice little SotD collection, I would feel absolutely shafted by the Mint. I very much hope others don't, that's just how I would feel. There's been a gradual pushing of the limit on these by the Mint and it's now gone too far imvho. I'm very glad that the only ones I went for were Sov (Pistrucci) or monarchy (Coronation) and so sit 'properly' within the premium Sov issues for that year (I know some 'purists' will disagree here).

Tldr; I'm glad I stuck to the 'essential' (in my eyes) issues and worry what lays ahead for the series.

I wonder if the face mask companies ramped up their prices upon massive demand? Somehow I think yes they have.

People are queuing in the streets of HongKong for a 😷 Basic economics dictates higher demand leads to higher prices.

Just be thankful we have the choice of buying a coin or not or sending it back if you change your mind. It’s not a health issue it’s private business.

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

16 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Personally I am very relieved that I never got sucked into to what at first looked like quite a nice little SotD collection

While never pretending to know that much about these SOTD releases, IIRC the first one was in 2012 for the Diamond Jubilee (Accession to the throne). Closely followed by one in 2013 for the 60th anniversary of the coronation. These were both bullion issues but as they did an issue for both anniversaries, I suspected this was their new in thing and they were going to milk it.
The next year with the release of a little George 1st birthday, it was obviously going to be the case. They did upgrade to BU at this point but IMO the writing was on the wall, these were simply commemoratives and not a collection to get into IMO. They were going to manufacture anniversaries left right and centre and dilute out any interest. So it has proved.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

13 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

The next year with the release of a little George 1st birthday, it was obviously going to be the case. They did upgrade to BU at this point but IMO the writing was on the wall, these were simply commemoratives and not a collection to get into IMO. They were going to manufacture anniversaries left right and centre and dilute out any interest. So it has proved.

Easy to say now I guess and surely even the most ardent critic of the Mint could never have predicted a Brexit 'Sov' at such a mintage and price - ?

I fear the sad thing for modern sovereign collectors is that successful sales of today's SOTD at £800 will only encourage the RM to hike up the price of the next regular proof sovereign. No doubt with yet another privy mark dreamt up and thrown in to try to justify how special it is.

8 minutes ago, GoodAsGold said:

I fear the sad thing for modern sovereign collectors is that successful sales of today's SOTD at £800 will only encourage the RM to hike up the price of the next regular proof sovereign. No doubt with yet another privy mark dreamt up and thrown in to try to justify how special it is.

I fear the same thing, but then I'm deeply cynical and critical of the Mint.

Hopefully for my SotD buddies this news means the only way is up, just as sell outs for the gold proof 50ps have been (imo) good for me :)

14 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

2021 - Queen’s 95th birthday

2022 - 70th Jubilee of Accession

2023 -70th Jubilee of Coronation

Yeah, I’m sure the RM has their roadmap planned for at least the next three years. And as collectors we’re totally screwed.  

Someone posted the 2020 Sov list we have had so far (it may have been your good self, perhaps?), and it's both absolutely ridiculous and imvho there is more to come.

I don't understand the Mint's 'strategy' here at all - if it's to start minting silly price silly mintage pieces for certain non-traditional market 'events' then they have got off to a good start.

:wacko:

2 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Someone posted the 2020 Sov list we have had so far (it may have been your good self, perhaps?), and it's both absolutely ridiculous and imvho there is more to come.

I don't understand the Mint's 'strategy' here at all - if it's to start minting silly price silly mintage pieces for certain non-traditional market 'events' then they have got off to a good start.

:wacko:

At this rate we will have a coin when Prince George has his first girlfriend. Then another strike on day for when they breakup. 

If all these SOTD and proofs sovereigns are too dear, just buy another low premium gold coin in its place.

20 franc, a 1/4 lunar, 8gram panda, $5 gold piece, a kangaroo, pescos, buafflos, ducats, alternate britannia designs, queens beasts, £2 sovereigns of variant designs, gold 50ps. thats just off the top of my head

or just search out what is best value deal  for gold on day of pruchase

No shortage of getting a bit of variety in your stack without it breaking the bank 

6 minutes ago, Rgcoins said:

At this rate we will have a coin when Prince George has his first girlfriend. Then another strike on day for when they breakup. 

Love this.

What about a SOTD Sovereign for when he pops his cherry. There could be a cherry privy and it could be packaged in a condom wrapper in a condom box.

9 minutes ago, Paul said:

If all these SOTD and proofs sovereigns are too dear, just buy another low premium gold coin in its place.

20 franc, a 1/4 lunar, 8gram panda, $5 gold piece, a kangaroo, pescos, buafflos, ducats, alternate britannia designs, queens beasts, £2 sovereigns of variant designs, gold 50ps. thats just off the top of my head

or just search out what is best value deal  for gold on day of pruchase

How would a completely different gold coin sit in a modern premium Sovereign collection? :wacko:

Just now, kimchi said:

How would a completely different gold coin sit in a modern premium Sovereign collection? :wacko:

It would reflect the Royal Family's modern approach to life in general. Why not have a saucy American Eagle in amongst the Sovereigns......? There are already loads of Danish and German coins.......

3 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Well its simply the case, either pay the totally over the odds price for the RM offerings or dont

Your term "modern premium Sovereign collection" may be in for a very rude awakening when you come to cash in & the dealer only offers you spot for the gold 

13 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Love this.

What about a SOTD Sovereign for when he pops his cherry. There could be a cherry privy and it could be packaged in a condom wrapper in a condom box.

I would buy this, at £800. But by the time that happens SOTD will most likely be £1,800 a pop. At the current rate things are going.

43 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

2021 - Queen’s 95th birthday

2022 - 70th Jubilee of Accession

2023 -70th Jubilee of Coronation

Yeah, I’m sure the RM has their roadmap planned for at least the next three years. And as collectors we’re totally screwed.  

Yes, I've been well aware of the 2022 and 2023 dates, but well done to you for coming up with an answer for next year.

6 hours ago, danmc82 said:

I know they do, but my point was how can they be allowed to get away with it?

Prices of precious metal based coins are fluid and dynamic. Even ebay buy it now pricing for these coins is dynamic via the ebay API. HGM and Atkinsons are Dynamic. The CC strategy is the same as APMEX one of the largest in the world. Every one knows PRE-ORDER and you get the price that is the lowest and carry some risk of a dud... You want to buy at the cheap price when you know in your head you have a flippable success? My question to you is  - are your ethics on this any better than CC?

8 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

It would reflect the Royal Family's modern approach to life in general.

I did notice that recently the Daily Mail emphasized that the Queen saw the statement from Henry and Rachel...I mean Harry and Meghan, soz...on her iPad and then switched on her television, so I would say the monarchy is already pretty modern :)

It would have been so much easier if only they knew each other, or otherwise had some form of contact!

I am a big fan of Celebration Sovereigns (aka SOTD) and my view is that the RM have gone too far with pricing. Most people here did not buy one it seems and that is probably very understandable. I managed to get one at about 12:45am when the mint came alive again. TBH i am as surprised as anyone that they sold 1500 at £800 but if you think about it what have the mint seen? 

They read this forum... they look at ebay... and you can imagine the convos... What are our Unas Selling for? £25,000 gold £400 silver - oh terrible we thought we had it sussed but we gave away the family silver. How about the SOTD? not as easy as sales in the secondary market are thin.... most dont want to sell them... but say 2017 SOTD with 1817 mintage sells at £850... Hmm that's a £300 profit we should take some of that.. Ok lets do £700 - no that's a bit low lets go all in 1500 coins at £800 and see what happens.. If it works it becomes the new norm if not we can adjust.

What this all proves is that they were spot on and we were all for the most part wrong. They judged quantity and price and the taste and news worthiness of Brexit better than we did.

Archived