• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

PayPal Buyer "Non - Protection" for Gold

Pete

I imagine this subject may have been discussed some while ago but I was reading the small print w.r.t. Paypal Buyer protection and copied the page for readers to see clearly in black & white that gold is not covered. That means, I assume, when you buy a gold sovereign, for example, from a fellow member on the forum, or eBay and it doesn't arrive or is not as described etc. then having paid using PP you are not covered. See paragraph 16.

951077711_Screenshot2019-12-18at11_31_21.thumb.png.7266329e9cdecbe7ae552a044b76556d.png

I remember it was discussed when PP announced the new terms and there was great angst concerning it. However I'm sure one or two people were saying they were still honouring the protection; not sure if this was based on practical experience or asking them directly.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

8 hours ago, Pete said:

I imagine this subject may have been discussed some while ago but I was reading the small print w.r.t. Paypal Buyer protection and copied the page for readers to see clearly in black & white that gold is not covered. That means, I assume, when you buy a gold sovereign, for example, from a fellow member on the forum, or eBay and it doesn't arrive or is not as described etc. then having paid using PP you are not covered. See paragraph 16.

It's not really explicitly clear in my mind. What do they count as gold? If I buy a watch with a gold case, am I covered? What about a gold necklace? Is a Sovereign classed as gold or a collectable coin? What about if the gold coin costs double spot, is it still just gold to them? So many rhetorical questions! 😂

7 hours ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

I wonder how much cover there is with ebay's own buyer protections. Also how does that work if you receive a counterfeit item? It seems pretty crazy to me given the amount of scammers out there that they would wash their hand of all protections concerning buying gold.

Seems to me like you've just described exactly why they've washed their hands of all protection concerning gold! 😅

1 hour ago, Melon said:

Seems to me like you've just described exactly why they've washed their hands of all protection concerning gold! 

but these scammers exist everywhere, not just with gold sales.

PP is in the position of being able to control the payment; when they allow it to be released and being able to recoup the money.

There is no reason IMO to treat gold any differently to other sales. It's similar to the Royal Mail refusing to insure PMs, it's an easy get out for them.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

4 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

but these scammers exist everywhere, not just with gold sales.

PP is in the position of being able to control the payment; when they allow it to be released and being able to recoup the money.

There is no reason IMO to treat gold any differently to other sales. It's similar to the Royal Mail refusing to insure PMs, it's an easy get out for them.

There you go, you cracked it! :)

Why not other PM’s, I guess that is to follow....

And its not just ebay, this would also include dealers / online shops etc that take Paypal as payment. 

Some process card payments via PP for goods / services, can you claim back via the card company as if you paid directly using a card.

Archived