• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2020 Una and the Lion

3 minutes ago, Paul said:

Royal Mint may be reading this thread :( .............sssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !  dont give them any ideas

The overseas territories and crown dependencies will start minting more to meet demand. I'm sure RM will do a big 2039 release if the interest is still there. 

I expect that the next coin in the series will have a bigger gold release. 

6 minutes ago, Paul said:

Royal Mint may be reading this thread :( .............sssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !  dont give them any ideas

I don't think they'll need any direction from us. They'll be fully aware of how much the Unas are selling for and will be planning their next marketing as we speak!

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

14 minutes ago, Paul said:

Yes, i totaly agree with you - I used current restrike price to show how crazy these prices are at currently.

We are already sat on a +400-500% profit of original RRP where do you draw the line where you are happy to cash in your chips ?

Thing is...the very low mintage comes into play here....it really looks like the strong collector demand is outstripping the supply, and hence we have this appreciation situation. Every serious gold coin collector of these type of coins would like to own one, if they are wealthy enough. And there's a fair amount of such wealthy collectors around..

14 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

Thing is...the very low mintage comes into play here....it really looks like the strong collector demand is outstripping the supply, and hence we have this appreciation situation. Every serious gold coin collector of these type of coins would like to own one, if they are wealthy enough. And there's a fair amount of such wealthy collectors around..

This is what gives me an urge to just hold on and hope for the best.  Still no shortage of cash in the world. 225 isnt really a big mintage at all.  

Just what made the orignal go from £20k to £200k in 10-15 years and now to £500k+ this past week?

With fiat debt tokens of paper money being printed into oblivion year on year, the uber rich will park their wealth into things that cannot be created out of thin air like fine art, classic cars, high end property, fixed supply rare gold coins

I remeber I was at a Sothebys rock pop memorablia London in mid-2000s and Beatles handwritten lyrics came up, bids went crackers for like over just over £100k, well above estimate guide, just a couple years later, the same lyrics sold in USA in NYC similar sales for $1.2m.  A million dollars is nothing to a hedgefund manager who ants to own what noone else has, heck they might not even be a Beatles fan! To the savvy person who paid £100k got x10 their cash

Edited by Paul

18 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

But wealthy collectors don't generally collect modern restrikes, they buy the originals

7 minutes ago, Paul said:

This is what gives me an urge to just hold on and hope for the best.  Still no shortage of cash in the world. 225 isnt really a big mintage at all.  

Just what made the orignal go from £20k to £200k in 10-15 years and now to £500k+ this past week?

With fiat debt tokens of paper money being printed into oblivion year on year, the uber rich will park their wealth into things that cannot be created out of thin air like fine art, classic cars, high end property, fixed supply rare gold coins

I remeber I was at a Sothebys rock pop memorablia London in mid-2000s and Beatles handwritten lyrics came up, bids went crackers for like over just over £100k, well above estimate guide, just a couple years later, the same lyrics sold in USA in NYC similar sales for $1.2m.  A million dollars is nothing to a hedgefund manager who ants to own what noone else has, heck they might not even be a Beatles fan! To the savvy person who paid £100k got x10 their cash

I watched Numistackers video on the 1834 Sixpence, so when we talk about rise and fall I looked over the Heritage site and found another 1834 sixpence sold in 2010 in PF66 for $3500 hammer, 1 year later the exact same coin sold for $1000 less, the same goes for any coin we own, prices rise and prices fall, same with stocks and shares, so everything is risk, it's knowing when to take your profits and be happy is the most satisfying part, again, I equate this to crypto, lots of people were hodling thinking bitcoin and their alt coins were just going to keep on going, then it dumped from $20k to $2800 in a year, so hodling is dangerous as well as selling at the wrong time, I know what I'd be doing if it was my coin right now.

2 hours ago, Cornishfarmer said:

Don’t see grading will make a difference, I’d sell now, the royal mint are a business and there to make money.   They have shown with plain edged sovs and privy sovs that they will exploit the market.    No reason why they won’t release 500 X 2021 unas.    

Graded 70 Silver Unas seem to do very well... around 800€. 

Of course the RM is a business company and they want to make money as any companies. They can try to find ways to get more money playing with hype, but they are not stupid as they know how to keep a product "unique" without shooting themself in the foot.  If they release a second batch of Unas, they would kill what makes it so special and unique then kill the confidence. 

There has been a lot of special designs, and I don't see any new release of specials  Sovereigns (1989, 2017...) or Britannias (2014...) despite the hype for these designs. 

Anyway if they would do it one time, they would not do it twice.

Edited by Frenchie

2 hours ago, Frenchie said:

Graded 70 Silver Unas seem to do very well... around 800€. 

Of course the RM is a business company and they want to make money as any companies. They can try to find ways to get more money playing with hype, but they are not stupid as they know how to keep a product "unique" without shooting themself in the foot.  If they release a second batch of Unas, they would kill what makes it so special and unique then kill the confidence. 

There has been a lot of special designs, and I don't see any new release of specials  Sovereigns (1989, 2017...) or Britannias (2014...) despite the hype for these designs. 

Anyway if they would do it one time, they would not do it twice.

I agree to an extent but look at the Kew Gardens 50p. I don't think RM are likely to issue more anytime soon but, as I said earlier, a 2039 release seems likely. They can also sell the die to British Virgin Islands etc. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they realised a full Great Engravers set at the end as well but with a later year date. Remember that originally the website had 20 gold and silver held back. This only changed once they started selling like hotcakes. 

On 13/01/2020 at 10:04, Paul said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/bfl/viewbids/303441903449?item=303441903449&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Well its been live for less than a day, x4 unique bidders, all bidding over the start bid of £13,500 

Look like we cannot follow the bidder/IDs/feedback scores as the seller has made it a "private" listing

https://www.ebay.co.uk/bfl/viewbids/303441903449?item=303441903449&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

http://www.watchcount.com/mw2.php?bkw=una+lion+gold&bcat=0&bcts=&sfsb=Show+Me!&csbin=all&bslr=&bnp=&bxp=#serp

x112 wacthes on the Gold Una & Lion fleabay UK auction now 

£19,000 current price with 2 days left to run 

x6 unqiue bidders on it 

Popcorn ! chomp chomp 

I am going to receive my long and eagerly awaited Gold Una today. Among the lucky guys who were able to get it, I am on the fence with my doubt about selling or keeping it.

I guess that all the Gold and Silver Unas are now despatched and I would expect prices  going down, see stagnating at best (it would be a good sign) with these new Unas appearing on the secondary market. However, my sense is that the  hype at these levels (for the gold) has not been created out of thin air. Of course there could be a bubble but I try to understand why some big dealers buy these coins at these high prices. What do they know that we don't ? They can have deep pockets, but they know their market and their business and I imagine that, at these levels of engagement, their positions are wisely calculated.

225 coins is tiny mintage and what will be interesting next is to see what the rate of resales (weak hands) will be on the secondary market and how it absorbs these sales at these price levels.  

Edited by Frenchie

5 hours ago, Frenchie said:

Of course there could be a bubble but I try to understand why some big dealers buy these coins at these high prices. What do they know that we don't ? They can have deep pockets, but they know their market and their business and I imagine that, at these levels of engagement, their positions are wisely calculated.

They won't be buying them unless they have customers ready to sell to. They may keep the odd one in hand.

I know of dealers who have sourced dozens of these coins to order. This demand is unlikely to last forever, how long is anyone's guess.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

13 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

They won't be buying them unless they have customers ready to sell to. They may keep the odd one in hand.

I know of dealers who have sourced dozens of these coins to order. This demand is unlikely to last forever, how long is anyone's guess.

It depends if the demand is more or less  than 225 worldwide !

Royal Mint must have finished the backlog of gold Una & Lion, who have magiced onto eBay with actual picture & COA numbers in past 24 hours

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=una+lion+gold&_sacat=0&_sop=3

£30,000 the asking price - now gulp !

Sellers are GreedisGood and that Osbourne chappy ID

8 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

Got it :) 

More pictures to come in the "today I received" sectionP1540607.thumb.jpg.057bd0edfa80bec0a8ee623e52bdabd6.jpg

are you in love with it yet ? are you wowed ? what did you say to yourself when you opened it ? did you feel like a kid on Christmas day again ! ?

3 minutes ago, Paul said:

are you in love with it yet ? are you wowed ? what did you say to yourself when you opened it ? did you feel like a kid on Christmas day again ! ?

Did I say wow ? No  I did not say anything, I slowly opened the parcel ...very slowly . Yes Una was there ! This is the most stunning and beautiful coin I have ever had, (even higher than the Britannia 2014...and the level is already very very high) . Santa  treated me nicely last year (yes, I have been kind and a good boy) , first with the 6 gold coin proof set Britannia 2014 at almost spot , and now ...this beauty.... OK,  Now I can say  WOOOOOOOOW !!! :D 

2 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

Did I say wow ? No  I did not say anything, I slowly opened the parcel ...very slowly . Yes Una was there ! This is the most stunning and beautiful coin I have ever had, (even higher than the Britannia 2014...and the level is already very very high) . Santa  treated me nicely last year (yes, I have been kind and a good boy) , first with the 6 gold coin proof set Britannia 2014 at almost spot , and now ...this beauty.... OK,  Now I can say  WOOOOOOOOW !!! :D 

" Sell Sell Sell !!! " they shout, but they just dont understand , do they ! ?