• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold, Silver & Platinum Cubes

Serendipity

I was going to call this topic “Platinum Lion of England” but it branched into an interesting discussion on gold, silver and platinum in general. Sadly, the magnificent and collectible Queen’s Beasts series comes to an end next year with the White Horse of Hanover and White Greyhound of Richmond. I’ve managed to collect all the available 1/4oz gold bullion versions along with the 1oz gold bullion Lion of England.

I’ve avoided collecting the two-ounce silver Queen’s Beasts because I prefer to stack 1oz and 1/4oz gold and silver coins with the exception of the 30g gold and silver Pandas. However, there is a 1oz platinum bullion Lion of England available which interests me. It would mean diversifying my stacks from gold and silver to platinum. I don’t mind because the Lion of England is such an exceptionally beautiful coin.

Anyone who owns both 1oz gold and silver coins soon realises their 1oz gold coins are much more smaller and compact than their 1oz silver coins yet weigh exactly the same. Gold with its relativistic and quantum properties reminds me of Doctor Who’s TARDIS which is bigger on the inside than the outside. I’ve not really looked into the science behind platinum but the 1oz platinum Lion of England seems to have exactly the same diameter and thickness as my 1oz gold Lion of England. 

I read somewhere that all the platinum ever mined can be cast into a cube which can fit in the middle of your bedroom with room enough to spare for your bed. Gold would be a much larger cube that would fit in the middle of a tennis court. Silver would be an even larger cube which would just about dwarf the Statue of Liberty. Anyone who stacks and/or collects gold, silver and platinum is a collective owner of those precious metal cubes. Sobering thought.

4AACF71D-DB90-4389-B42E-1315F034DEAD.jpeg

I don't think you'd regret purchasing a Platinum Lion if you just wanted to add a piece of Platinum to your stack.  As well as it being the iconic first Queen's Beast, it's also numismatically interesting (well, slightly...) as it's the first ever UK 1oz Platinum Bullion coin.

Especially if you happen to think that Platinum is currently both relatively and absolutely undervalued, as some of us on here do.

Might be quite difficult to find one now though?  Can't remember where I read it, but I think the official mintage was 4135.

Edited to add: Platinum is denser than gold.  The coin is the same diameter, but it is thinner.  I think the relative densities are 21.45 and 19.3 grams per cubic centimetre.  Silver is 10.5, and water is 1.

So at today's price at the RM, that would be £1080 delivered.  
That's quite a toppy price, but might actually look cheap in a few years' time.

(I paid £829 for one from the RM, including the VAT, about 15 months ago when the price of platinum was very low.  I bought a 2018 platinum Britannia from Bullion By Post for £890 (again including the VAT) a couple of months earlier).

@Serendipity Platinum metal appeals to you then should buy it.

Lots of Q&A sessions where Platinum discussed with Lynette Zang on ITM YouTube Channel discussed at 11.30 minutes into the Q&A https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGIy8z7af6M

From pure speculative trading perspective discussion on Platinum https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1LMq3Ubpvs

Before buy physical Platinum metal research into exit strategy and if you had to sell the coin back to a dealer what would they offer you? Do all your due diligence and try ascertain as much information as possible before invest into any of the precious metals and be aware of the risks and pitfalls.

I like the QB platinum coins and compared to getting hold of a Lion in silver or gold the Pt version is still relatively affordable, particularly if you think the metal itself is going to climb in the long run.

The Perth Mint Lunar III Pt coin might also be worth a look as the first in a new series.

Personally I also like the old Platypus coins but that's just me - no reason to think they'll gain semi-numismatic value vs QBs or Lunar IIIs.

Archived