• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Really!! A fool and his money....

silversurf

IMHO this is a fancy item just for the rich. Other that that, and due to the "Now charges" it may be useful for some one who buy a lot of precious metals in several different countries.

I bet it will be famous by some clients in Dubai...lol

39 minutes ago, MickB said:

Easy way to lose £18k when you lose your wallet and I bet even if the wallet was handed in, this card wouldn't be there.

To be fair the moment you lose £17k will be at the point of purchase. Try reselling it for £18k, it's practically guaranteed not to happen considering the name on the card and the associated account will be in your name plus the gold contents will be nowhere near that price.

Unfortunately for those who can afford this, the idiom that “a fool and his money are easily parted” does not apply.

I imagine for people like Arab sheikhs and Chinese billionaires, £18k is pennies.

Also, these people don’t move in our circles, so they don’t risk losing these cards in public spaces like we might.

This card is no different than any other high society luxury article - catered for the likes of those for whom money breeds money 😀

Just now, westminstrel said:

Unfortunately for those who can afford this, the idiom that “a fool and his money are easily parted” does not apply.

I imagine for people like Arab sheikhs and Chinese billionaires, £18k is pennies.

Also, these people don’t move in our circles, so they don’t risk losing these cards in public spaces like we might.

This card is no different than any other high society luxury article - catered for the likes of those for whom money breeds money 😀

I know, and my mate calls me a snob for using one of these.

Sterling_Silver_Chip_Fork_G113.thumb.jpg.da4f00a4ec909d1801287a78b80745c8.jpg

Nothing wrong with making a ridiculously expensive item if there is a market for it and someone is willing to pay.  Can't fairly place a value on it based on the gold content.  Since someone who would theoretically purchase this item is gonna be a whale that spends a lot of money, the justification for the high price is the "no fees", and the access to the concierge services that holding the card entitles you to.  If it provides a source of revenue for The Royal Mint, more power to them.

2 minutes ago, SILVERFINGER said:

One thing that gets me also, cards always have an expiry date on them don't they ? does that mean this thing is going to go 'off' in two years time.

Yes.  I've seen similar products from goldmoney iirmc.  There is an expiration date.  I think on the one I saw before, once the card expired, the card issuer would offer to buy the card back at some % of gold value or offer a credit value towards a replacement card.  I can't remember exactly.  But it makes sense from a business perspective to have it expire at some point.  The issuer can't offer no fees and other services indefinitely and make a profit in the long run.

Archived