• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Antique silverware

StackSellRepeat

Evening guys, I’ve come across a Georgian period set of sterling sauce ladles, hallmarked 1800. Would anyone know what they’re worth ?

I’ve been told they’re worth not much above spot, That can’t be right they’re bloody older than 200 years.... The pair have history & definitely must had replenished many souls :) 

Very nice clean hallmarks for a piece of this age, Appreciate any info in advance.

Yas

643CE6F7-1AED-4F76-9FCE-4726C441FAC8.jpeg

1898FADB-FEC0-43DF-AA53-78DCF132B2D4.jpeg

0EF61FD4-E7E6-49DB-9BFC-9DF7CB2A9C02.jpeg

A MAN OF FEW WORDS.....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are lovely, and still usable in this day and age and of a design that does not look out of place today,  and not worn from the state of the hallmarks, they aint scrap, an ebay auction with a reserve will find out, I seen items like this when I visit antiques centres going for anything upwards of £80 depending on condition and weight.

1 hour ago, SILVERFINGER said:

They are lovely, and still usable in this day and age and of a design that does not look out of place today,  and not worn from the state of the hallmarks, they aint scrap, an ebay auction with a reserve will find out, I seen items like this when I visit antiques centres going for anything upwards of £80 depending on condition and weight.

Honesty I may consider keeping them love history & collecting old pieces, They’re in superb condition I can see my face on them clear as day, plus they haven’t been polished in a while as I do see some patina. Very happy with my pickup :) 

A MAN OF FEW WORDS.....

2 minutes ago, SILVERFINGER said:

Is the engraving on them initials or a crest ?

Initials look like CB?

5EDE4A29-308F-499F-8BDA-4C39ADB4821E.jpeg

Added 0 minutes later...
1 minute ago, musketsmoke said:

correct me if i am wrong looks like ML

Yup looks like a ML I haven’t done any research on the makers as of yet. 

A MAN OF FEW WORDS.....

1 minute ago, SILVERFINGER said:

Hang on you say sauce ladles, how long are these ?  are they tiny ?

Just a little over 5 inches the handle.

Added 0 minutes later...
2 minutes ago, musketsmoke said:

MONTAGUE LEVYSON maybe

Hmmm different style makers mark 🧐

A MAN OF FEW WORDS.....

11 minutes ago, musketsmoke said:

this makers mark is a real mystery mmm intriguing 

its defo London can't find it though 

might have to send them in to get the maker properly could  be very rare pieces

Might get in touch with a few antique dealers they could hopefully shed some light, if not possible London Assay could but have no clue if they share records with the public 🧐

A MAN OF FEW WORDS.....

My Mum likes a good silver spoon and says her magic book says Matthew Linwood, but apparently he was a Birmingham registers silversmith - not to say he didn't register with London too, but unlikely.

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Archived