• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2013 1oz silver maple

Duane

The standard 2013 silver 1oz maple shouldn't command much of a premium at all - there were over 28million of them minted so there's no shortage out there. There are a number of privy maples from that year which will command more of a premium and the "25" ones were also out that year which have a slightly higher premium.

The only standard 1oz silver maples that you should expect to pay a higher premium for are from around the mid 90's. In particular 1997 as that has the lowest mintage by far at 100970.

That's what I thought but bullion by post are awaiting stock at £38.40 per coin (quite a bit higher than similar dates) and Chards have them in stock at £34.60. Just thought I was missing something.

I'd recommend keeping an eye out on eBay just ensuring you can spot the difference between the real ones and fake ones on there. Alternatively you can set up a wanted ad on here. I see what you mean about Bullion By Post's prices...  they are all over the shop for those 1oz maples. I find the price of the 1997 one especially amusing as I've seen that coin sell for more than that on eBay numerous times due to the demand that exists for it.

I had the same problem when I wanted to buy some silver Pandas from Bullion By Post and found them way more expensive than at Chards and Atkinsons. In fact, all the premiums on their gold and silver coins are way more expensive than what you would find at any other bullion dealer. That’s still the case even when you factor in the cheap lighthouse capsules, postage and glossy booklet they include with every purchase. Not surprisingly, I ended up buying my silver Pandas from Chards.

I know that bullion by post are usually one of the most expensive but the fact that Chards,who are usually much more keen on price,are also selling them at a very high premium is puzzling.

Hi TonyS,

Thanks for the offer but I recently bought some maples without knowing the dates beforehand and it turned out that 50 of them were 2013. 

After checking the going rates for the different dates I got,I was surprised and puzzled by the high premiums of the 2013. Hence the question.

25 minutes ago, Duane said:

,I was surprised and puzzled by the high premiums of the 2013

25 minutes ago, Duane said:

I recently bought some maples without knowing the dates beforehand and it turned out that 50 of them were 2013

Thats why the high premiums, sounds like you own most of the 2013's :lol:

I’ve checked the Royal Canadian Mint’s annual report for 2013 but can’t find anything special about that year. Around 28,222,061 Silver Maple Leaves were minted. In 2014, however, new security features were introduced: radial lines and a micro-engraved laser mark. Also the obverse was affected by this. The premium at £14.58 is exactly the same for all of the Silver Maple Leaves at Chards.

https://www.mint.ca/store/dyn/PDFs/RCMint_Eng_New_Logo_May_2014.pdf

The Silver Maple Leaves at APMEX are priced as low as $2.29 per coin over spot at $19.92 which makes the price hike, £34.57, for the 2013 Silver Maple Leaves at Chards all the more inexplicable. That is an unfair comparison, however, because of the inclusion of VAT on silver coins in the UK. Now, that’s where we notice something interesting - the earlier Silver Maple Leaves are priced lower at £28.81 because of a Special Scheme including VAT. The link below to an article on the scheme by Chards explains why.

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/special-scheme-gold-and-silver/259

Archived