• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver to Scotland

Scottcamsilver

Hi everyone,

I hope the collective knowledge here can help me out. I am travelling from boston to scotland next month and had a few questions.

Can i bring Silver to scotland W/O paying Vat or tax? I wanted to bring some unique bars ( 1oz,5oz, maybe 10oz) and some US coins.

Morgans, Peace dollars, walking liberty's etc.

I want to trade for coins or bars that my be unique to scotland/UK. 

What coins should I look for etc?

Thanks everyone. All feedback is welcomed!

scott 

1 hour ago, Scottcamsilver said:

Thanks I lovesilver

Any suggestions on coins to look for?

Well I am not sure there is much out there - but I really dont know - its usually the same pre 20 and pre 47 British silver coins. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

The only difference i know of is we use different bank notes in Scotland.

Apart from that all the coins we use come from the Royal Mint, we get the same Stephen Hawking, Paddington Bear coins etc as everyone else in the UK.

There are people pouring their own silver bars but apart from that i cant think of any Scotland specific coins, but im no coin collector so i might be wrong.

Enjoy your time here ( in Scotland) regardless :)

2 hours ago, Scottcamsilver said:

Thanks I lovesilver

Any suggestions on coins to look for?

Will be honest - you will be better off taking orders for some stuff from guys like me and @StackSellRepeat and bringing it over and we getting you British stuff that you like that is interesting and figure out how we post to one another (if you have family in Scotland maybe?)

Or maybe we take a day trip. You will be much better off as the buyers in Scotland shops not going to pay you much, and will charge you a lot more for stuff than you can get from us :) Also this way no disappointments and you arent lugging stuff over only to be told you will get 90% value lol. For example I would happily trade a whole bunch of 64 Kennedys for British silver. Spot for spot :)

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

Ilovesilver 

Thanks! great feedback! I will be travelling all around the highlands with my wife, so Im not sure there will be time to meet up.

Its unfortunate what you say about the coin shops.    What you are suggesting ( spot for spot) is exactly what I am looking for. I dont have any family there, but my great and great great grandfathers were both born in Glasgow. I will likely bring a few pieces just for the fun of it...I appreciate the feedback 

Queen's Beasts- Unicorn of Scotland?  Available in 2oz, 10oz Silver bullion- there are also Silver Proof Unicorn and Gold- 1/4oz and 1oz as well as Proof in Gold.  You can also pick up some nice looking modern cupronickel, Silver proof & Gold 50p's, £1's and £2's with a Scottish theme.  

If your interested in historic coins- these sites are very interesting:

https://www.predecimal.com/p12scottish

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/scotland-1.html

https://museumcrush.org/ten-rare-scottish-coins-that-tell-the-story-of-scotlands-monarchs/

And if you want to take some Scottish bars back home:

https://www.purescottishsilver.co.uk

In that case i would maybe look into some clan related silver objects, most likely will be 925 silver though. You could maybe track down a Sgian Dubh which is a knife traditionally worn with a kilt, or even just get a Campbell clan kilt :) There might even be family crests or something but i dont know the market for that kind of thing. Im sure you will find something though.

https://kiltsandmore.co.uk/clan-products/by-clan/clan-campbell/clan-campbell-sgian-dubh-:k1-1101C23:c662:len.html

• 2 weeks later...

Coin shops in Scotland are very expensive and very few of them. Priced to within an inch of their lives for most coins. Some of the really old stuff such as groats can be had at reasonable prices and they are scottish too rather than UK. Bairds do a scottish stag round too.

Archived