• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

closed Sigma

jonrms

5 minutes ago, jonrms said:

It's funny,  because they have never lost their value.  They are still as expensive as they were when I started looking. 

Despite my joshing earlier - - IN reality , to justify those costs -

one would have to be dealing with an enormous amount of traded PM's

as an individual - - As a business it could be offset against as "essential" equipment"

1 hour ago, 5huggy said:

Despite my joshing earlier - - IN reality , to justify those costs -

one would have to be dealing with an enormous amount of traded PM's

as an individual - - As a business it could be offset against as "essential" equipment"

The way how I see it is it is worth the investment. The stacking or collecting is not just for 1 or 2 coins, or 1 or 2 months. Throughout years the amount and value will increase, and it will be a disaster to get bitten even for once. The investment of such a machine is for a peace of mind for what you have paid with hard earned cash. Whenever you buy anything, you can check the goods instantly when you receive and also provide evidence if it is not legit. Yes, buying from reputable dealer should give some insurance of products, but it has higher premium than if buying from private or auctions, and less variety to choose from as well. In my own opinion , it eventually will pay out for such a machine.

I buy in X amount of gold and Silver every year. Now buying ALOT more due to ACE Bullion.

But still I am looking for the first gen to at least be on the safe side. I have seen them a bit cheaper than above. And I know how to use one. A friend has one but its a pain to keep transporting it 20 ish miles each way to run through X amount of bullion at a time.

So I know that gen 1 is good up to a point and the Pro version is much better as it can handle deeper bars. So it would be good to actually buy one. I will have to think about it. Perhaps ACE Bullion will buy a new toy for 2020 to ensure its up to date.

Who knows.

@jonrms I would definitely consider the pro, it looks amazing.

I have the beginnings of an idea - please let me know if you think it has any legs. How about we crowdfund or purchase a pro together on the silver forum? It could be looked after by a very trusted member. Those who contribute to the purchase have access to send in their coins and have return purchase paid (up to their donation value) and continued use (paying for postage) afterwards. Or even other members could send in stuff to be tested for a small fee which could subsidize the postage of those who originally contributed to the purchase.

Apologies if this takes the thread too much off-topic, and I am sure that a business such as Ace Bullion would want its own machine, but it seems like a good idea perhaps for the loyal and trusted forum members to maybe be able to band together to get one to share for £10, £20, £whatever each?

I would love to but I think there is already s few members with one. 

So not to shoot down the idea, but I think it won't be used or have much interest. 

I plan on saving up for one and will verify anyones coins etc free of charge because that's who I am. 

I need to look around and see if I can get a good deal. The pro is the way I will eventually go for, but I don't want to ask for anything,  it's not who I am. I can sell some gold or silver if i really wanted one or stick it on my credit card.  But i rather wait and save up. Who knows it might drop in price or a better version shows when I am ready to buy it. 

Thanks for the feedback Jon and sorry to derail your thread, I think it may have legs but should really start a new thread.

It would be a totally profit free endeavour to my mind, for the good of the forum members, and so for that reason it must be someone totally trusted here. The 'keeper' (also with a verified forum-approved trusted back-up in place) would video the unpacking and process each delivery (for proof) and then return the items (while not being liable for postage costs). For their time and effort with the videoing etc they would have the benefit of having the machine to hand for their own use whenever they wish, so that would narrow down who might be interested in setting it all up. I think it's a reasonable model and there would certainly be 'enough' interest on here to make it viable. But not for the likes of yourself or @BackyardBullion who are already flat out with their businesses. Once I move (in the works) I may revisit this idea. Cheers and can't wait to see which version you get and how you get along with it! :)

Just out of interest to anyone who owns one, how often do coins show up as not legit or lower in gold content then they should be? And has anyone ever tested coins that are fake but looked and felt legitimate. I guess I'm trying to ascertain the level of 'risk' out there.

Similarly, apologies for derailing the thread.

On 27/09/2019 at 14:28, kimchi said:

I have the beginnings of an idea - please let me know if you think it has any legs. How about we crowdfund or purchase a pro together on the silver forum? It could be looked after by a very trusted member. Those who contribute to the purchase have access to send in their coins and have return purchase paid (up to their donation value) and continued use (paying for postage) afterwards. Or even other members could send in stuff to be tested for a small fee which could subsidize the postage of those who originally contributed to the purchase.

IIRC someone suggested this a few years ago when these things first came out. It attracted a few comments but I don't think anyone could work out it would work in practice and the constant postage costs would be a problem.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Hmmm, wouldn't the import charges be more or less the same as if it was sold direct over here with the higher VAT rates we have (?).

Could always get a friend in the States to buy one and then send on as a gift or somesuch, or if you go there on business :ph34r:

13 hours ago, jonrms said:

I am not concerned with import charges.

And @kimchi bud, I would love one asap. But to be honest, I can't ask others. 

Anyway,  I will get one after Xmas

Yes, I think having one's own and not having the additional headache of verifying things for others - particularly in a busy business like yours or BYB (which is why I mentioned him) is the way to go :)

I wasn't suggesting anything that would benefit the 'buyer' at any further expense to contributors though! :)

1 hour ago, sovereignsteve said:

IIRC someone suggested this a few years ago when these things first came out. It attracted a few comments but I don't think anyone could work out it would work in practice and the constant postage costs would be a problem.

I'm not surprised, it could easily work, I've worked out a practical (no-profit) approach but you are right it would be a right hassle (mainly for the 'holder' unfortunately). Ah well, a Sigma for each of us for Xmas it is! :D

3 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

You want one ? 😁

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

@kimchi I would love one, but atm I am about to remove my old CNC, and I have found 2 new ( YES BRAND NEW) ones that I am choosing from. 

I am trying to get those mold making side sorted, alot of work,  but then I can make molds CUSTOM!!! 

Make my pens,

And pour my silver. 

Having a Sigma tester would be a dream come true, but I guess it's not priority atm. 

Archived