• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014.ย Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topicย posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :)ย happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads.ย 

Silver storage for collection type coins.

RoughDog

How do you store your collector style coins to avoid the dreaded tarnish and millk spotting? ย ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿค”

I have thought of purchasing a box for the complete set of lunar series 2 one oz silver coins. ๐Ÿ“ฆ๐Ÿ™‚

Currently they are stored in their capsules inside individual sealed plastic bags with the air squeezed out. ๐Ÿ˜‘๐Ÿคจ

Hopefully without tempting ill fate this seems to work OK.ย  Obviously not the best way to appreciate the artwork of the collection. ๐Ÿง๐Ÿคฉ ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฑโ€๐Ÿ‰๐Ÿ๐Ÿด๐Ÿ

ย 

So do I purchase a box and hope for the best or do I leave them as is.ย  Leaving them as is seems counter intuitive to me.ย  I can't help thinking that after โŒ›โณ it will end up being ๐Ÿง๐Ÿ˜ฏ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜ฅ

What is the point of paying an extra premium for beautiful looking things to not look at them?ย 

ย 

Thoughts?

ย 

ย 

ย 

I keep them in their capsules, put an anti-tarnish stripe and a silicon gel in the box and hope for the best! ๐Ÿ™„

But all the above can't prevent milk spotting, it seems to be totally random. I don't think Lunars tend to spot often though.

Instagram: gildeon_67

If a coin is going to milk spot there is absolutely nothing you can do to prevent this.
To avoid tarnish you have to try and excludeย surrounding air that contains traces of smoke ( sulphur is the primary culprit ) so no smoking, open fires, BBQs garden bonfires etc.
Unfortunately this is sometimes impossible if in summer weather your neighbour's BBQ blows indoors.
Good tight caps are best and maybe store in a ziplock bag or tupperware box with a sachet of silica gel.

NOTE - I am concerned about some black inner rings that you find in some capsules.
Some of my coins in these caps are rapidly tarnishing around their rims whereas theย same coins in non-ringed caps are not.

I've also noted in my early dated Britannia proof sets, tarnish appearing mainly on the smallest sized coins and these have the black rings inside their caps from the Royal Mint so I guess there is some chemical agent causing tarnishing.
ย 

So to summarise it seems as tho buying silver collector coins is not a good idea.ย  The greater the premium paid the greater the risk.

Brits, bars and poured silver seem to be the only thing that makes sense to me.

ย 

Archived