• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Hello All!

JonCL

Hi all,

I’m new to all this, having just started collecting silver coins since the start of this year. I’m probably average in that I’m interested in an aesthetically pleasing collection rather than big stacks of identical coins. I’ve also not got much interest in (or money for) proofs or low mintage coins per se- although I’ll buy newly released low mintage items if I like them- such as the Black Flag and SA Big 5 series, and I’ll buy proofs if there’s no choice- such as the 1997 Britannia with which to complete the set. Generally I don’t stray too much beyond the retail price of somewhere between spot price +30-100% (currently £20-£30). 

At the moment my collection is a bit random and having found every year of Britannias I moved onto the various Canadian animal sets as they’re relatively easy to source (with the exception of the 2017 Bison, which seems a bit thin on the ground. I had to buy a gilded one in the end). I’ve also got Somalian Elephants, Ghanaian Leopards, Royal Mint Chinese Lunar Years, South Korean Chiwoo Cheonwangs, a few lunar landing anniversaries, Nautical Ounces etc, etc. I’m trying to find inaugural years of collections I’m not interested in finding in their entirety. 

If anyone has ideas for interesting sets to collect, I’d be glad to hear them. I’d also like to ask your opinion on removing coins from mint packaging to put in my own capsules. The three Nautical Ounce coins I’ve bought have all turned up in hermetically sealed plastic pouches with the Rwandan bank logo at the top. I guess collectors would rather buy unopened coins but the plastic envelopes look a bit rubbish, don’t fit into my 47mm trays and, aside from being airtight, don’t offer much protection.

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded intro, it’s nice to be here- thanks for having me. 

1 hour ago, Tickety said:

Hi and welcome to the forum, have you considered the queen's beasts series?

Oh forgot them! Yes thanks, got the seven of those so far and looking forward to the imminent release of the White Lion of Mortimer. Hoping it’s better than the image posted on this site’s thread.

Looking for the release date was how I found this site actually.

Hi there.

Pandas are relatively easy to find and numerous so you could always start with them and either ignore the earlier ones or pick them up piecemeal.  They always seem to do well and are cheap for very recent years.

Perth mint coins also tend to be good quality and better looking than a lot of other mint's coins.

I'd leave your coins sealed if you're worried about tarnishing otherwise store them how you prefer.

• Founder & Administrator

Hello and welcome to The Silver Forum :) 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Archived