• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

closed Wood burners

On 29/08/2019 at 20:52, MikeG1978 said:

I dont think it's worth listing g all the prices but at present stock starts from 300 

Or a sovereign  😁

Any questions I am happy to help

I am in the process of reclaiming a Morso from my father in law's house before my wife sells it. It seems to be delevoping some rust around the flue connection, what's the best way of dealing with this issue?

I guess it's due to being used very intermittently for the past 15 moinths, just to heat the hot water occasionally when we've been there overnight.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, MikeG1978 said:

I agree anyone with a wood burner wouldn't go back the savings on gas and electric is so good plus the warmth the fires gives out is so good 

Totally!

But some info   FYI people thinking of getting one

Ive heard that, the bureaucrats, are going to impose restrictions on purchase of wood/multi fuel fires with a back boiler attached! 

This form a supplier  in the Lakes

As soon as next year!!

you can purchase the fire box

then purchase the back box separately -  and have them fitted together!  - = same thing!

This is the nonsensical approach of the good old EU!!!

I think it's crazy this wood burner rules

I mainly have defra approved fires so as to future proof 

The main issues I see is people burning all sorts of stuff in them like plastics and chemically injected wood etc

No matter how economical they would be producing more harmful gases

Banning the sale of wet wood goes a long way 

I think the government is bothered the fact the fuel is untaxable/off grid

14 minutes ago, MikeG1978 said:

Banning the sale of wet wood goes a long way 

I think the government is bothered the fact the fuel is untaxable/off grid

100% Agree on both these points. If theres no money to be made, it must be banned.

Having a multifuel stove helps, Smokeless fuel can be used as opposed to logs. If we ever get a visitor, I always have a bucket of Smokeless by the side of the fire, just incase.

30 minutes ago, MikeG1978 said:

I found a good supplier of logs which helps 

I hate paying for logs 😁 

Luckily I have a decent amount of logs at the moment, about 2 years worth. Gives me plenty of time to find more.

My only problem with a boiler stove is, it eats logs.

I probably go through about 5/6 bulk builders bags a winter. Not sure if that is a lot but at £65 each I’m sure the total spend is much less than when we were on gas boiler/traditional radiators only. If it was upto me we’d go through maybe 2/3 but the wife whinges when the thermometer goes below 30 and i get evil eyes if suggesting putting on a jumper when sat there in just a t-shirt

20 minutes ago, Cornishfarmer said:

Bloody hell im too cheap, I let people have them for a £15 donation to the school

It's nice to see someone still doing bargains I do the same with my fires 

Everyone I have I would fit in my own house in fact I fancy a change 🤔

I can say hand on heart I would never go back the heat they give out and the atmosphere when on it so nice

They also add value to property 

I found I was saving around £60-£70 a month and dont use mine religiously 

Mine owes me nothing and would still sell for good money

I would say research the kw you require  I am happy to assist if required either just advice or can set you up a deal

3 minutes ago, Spannerman said:

Been thinking of changing my gas fire to a wood burner for a while, how much do you guys that have them, save on your gas bills? assuming that when using these you open the internal doors to warm the whole house..

A "FORTUNE" - 

I run my VERY LARGE STONE house on a mix of logs with smokeless cobs - Constantly from end of October onwards at a TICK OVER RATE!

I then tweak the gas central heating to supplement - on ONLY the coldest days/periods

This may not be accurate for more modern properties - my house is three story's and solid COB /Stone  - - 2 foot thick walls  - NO CAVITY!

If i maintain a steady input of heat as ABOVE - - the Walls are my "STORAGE radiators " in effect

Downside here is that if I let them cool down - It takes a shed load of "input" to get back to comfortable!

Just some nfo for you to think about!  Hope it helps

3 minutes ago, Spannerman said:

Thanks for the info @MikeG1978 wanted one for ages but trying to persuade the wife to have it changed as we have a nice marble fireplace etc..

Feel free to use my pics of a "SAND STONE" fireplace  - to persuade where required! - - I had exactly the same issue with ER in DOORS

Sandstone is far more porous than marble - marble IS A DODDLE to CLEAN! by comparison!

Added 0 minutes later...

IMG_2021.thumb.JPG.337193ac3e1eb23946237551307ef352.JPG

7 minutes ago, 5huggy said:

A "FORTUNE" - 

I run my VERY LARGE STONE house on a mix of logs with smokeless cobs - Constantly from end of October onwards at a TICK OVER RATE!

I then tweak the gas central heating to supplement - on ONLY the coldest days/periods

This may not be accurate for more modern properties - my house is three story's and solid COB /Stone  - - 2 foot thick walls  - NO CAVITY!

If i maintain a steady input of heat as ABOVE - - the Walls are my "STORAGE radiators " in effect

Downside here is that if I let them cool down - It takes a shed load of "input" to get back to comfortable!

Just some nfo for you to think about!  Hope it helps

Thanks for the info, we have an ex council house which is well built so not paper thin like the new ones.. will have to look in to it 🙂 

Archived