• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Favourite 20th Century Coins

AndrewSL76

I may have mentioned previously, but I am in the middle of a project to collect a coin for every year of the 20th century. I am looking at coins from all over the world and trying to pick the best and most beautiful ones. The idea is to pick rare, where possible, and one which has precious metal content so that this project teaches me a thing or two and also results in a potential profit in the future if I decide to swap a silver coin for a gold coin (or even a common gold coin for a rare silver proof) as money becomes available.

So, in a bid to tap into your amazing minds and knowledge, what is your favourite coin of the 20th century?

Is it the 1989 Proof Double Sovereign? Is it the 1902 Silver Proof Sixpence? Maybe it is the 1921 Peace Dollar or the 1929 2 1/2 Guilder? Perhaps it is the 1990 Silver Kookaburra? 

For me, so far, the nicest (and cheapest too!) coin I have sourced is the 1942 'one dot' Threepence from New Zealand. It is tiny, but very cool.

Very much looking forward to your answers!

1 minute ago, KevinG said:

The Japanese Dragon Yen

Thanks for this! That’s a great call and not one that was on my radar. Just done some checking and it seems this was minted up to 1914.

Should be fairly easy to get a good example too. 

2 minutes ago, shawy2510 said:

Not got many to compare myself but its either my 1937 1/2 Sov or this 48g 22ct beast.

Yup, I think the half sovereign from ‘37 is a great call too. Financially, that may be a difficult year to complete for a while!!!

A much cheaper option for 1937 would be to get a nice George VI Coronation Crown (50% Silver, a good one is no more than about £30).

I like the Wreath crowns of 1927-1936 and the George V Silver Jubilee Crown of 1935.  Wreath Crowns are rare and thus expensive, but a good 1935 'Rocking Horse' crown is £25 -ish.

Other options for UK Silver would include the Edward VII 'Standing Britannia' Florin of 1902-10.  Cheapest will be 1902.  Sterling silver.

Worth also looking at the Lion on Crown Shilling designs of Edward VII and George V, 1902-1927.

The Acorn design sixpences of 1927-36 are nice too.

Hope it helps!

For 1901, you could get a Victoria Crown (George & Dragon design), or a Half Crown, or a Florin (my personal favourite of these Veiled Head designs) or a Shilling.  If you are including 1900 in your 20th century list, get a different denomination from the above list for 1900!

2 hours ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Here is a picture of the 'one dot':

image.png.5f51e4aef5e10a1da5a481c12f690f0c.png

New Zealand has had some great designs. I obviously favour the Kiwi Florin

IMG_1838.PNG.99c6d353e2f01fc5efab3c5867c0e207.PNG

many great designs are from the beginning of the 20th century. 1916/1917 Type 1 25c, 1912 2 Lei, 1910 2 Leva, Fatman Dollar are all great and you might see something else you like in this thread

Some great responses! Thanks so much!! I think I have the early part of the era sorted for British coins (most of those already suggested!) and am looking for different countries and ideas. I can list what I have so far with the pictures and will do so tomorrow.

@augur absolutely love the ‘33 Florin and am going to have a look for one tomorrow!

Thanks @Stuntman for the 1/2 £ and other recommendations. Money is tight at the moment and I’m going to have to save and hold off on the year 1952 for the time being! I’d rather go big on the interesting years. So far I’ve managed to get some lovely coins at good prices (got a 1993 Kangaroo for £22 the other day) and hope to get the bigger ticket items at coin fares rather than EBay.

3 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

That’s stunning. I’m listing it for ‘52 and will start saving!!! (Presuming they’re not ridiculously priced...)

It was a little costly...almost twice the cost of a full Sov. Hard part is finding one. I haven’t come across another one in over a year and a half, but I haven’t been looking frequently.

10 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Some great responses! Thanks so much!! I think I have the early part of the era sorted for British coins (most of those already suggested!) and am looking for different countries and ideas. I can list what I have so far with the pictures and will do so tomorrow.

@augur absolutely love the ‘33 Florin and am going to have a look for one tomorrow!

The Kiwi Florin was produced up to the reign of Queen Elizabeth. Instead of a Young Head Sovereign you could always get a cheap Young Head Kiwi...

Archived