• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Safes and PM storage

tallyhojim

Most burglaries happen during the day when your at work but even if it did happen at night and you live in a dark enough place to use night vision how long are you going to have to get all dressed up?

What's with the headphones as well?  I don't think I'd like them compromising my ability to hear my environment properly in a burglary.

Ablist the funny thing is pit bulls are supposed to be banned, or near enough, over here yet they are by far the most common dog type owned by neds.  Poorly trained ones that run amok without being under control or on a leash are far too common as well. 

There was a recent case where a staffie type ran into someones flat when they opened their door and attacked the owners dog

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/woman-mauled-aberdeen-flat-out-18950056

This kind of thing seems increasingly common and you don't even get a sorry from the dogs owner.  It cost me around £500 when my poor little dog was attacked by a dog that was left unleashed and repeatedly chased and attacked dogs.  When the local authorities visited the owners after a second incident to ask them to keep their dog leashed the owners appeared outside my house half an hour later with the dog running loose again and jumping up on my outside wall trying to get to the window when it saw my dog.

Another time when I had a Dobbie a staffie tried to attack it but he was a very quick dog for his size so he pinned the staffie by the back of its neck until the owner came.  The owner and his friends didn't like that his dog had been so easily pinned so they waited until I had walked away and turned my back before letting the dog loose again so it could attack my dog from behind while I had him on a short leash.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Murph said:

Most burglaries happen during the day when your at work but even if it did happen at night and you live in a dark enough place to use night vision how long are you going to have to get all dressed up?

What's with the headphones as well?  I don't think I'd like them compromising my ability to hear my environment properly in a burglary.

Excellent point...can’t do anything other than employing other mitigation techniques, when not at home. Would’t necessarily get all “jocked” up for engaging an intruder in the house...a ballistic helmet with night vision can be donned within a couple of seconds...the comms are Peltor and pretty good for hearing ambient noises...kind of like high end Bose. NVGs...exploit any little advantage if you have it. A little red dot on the target from the rifle’s laser designator works well too...😁. At the end of the day, yes, this may be considered over kill (no pun intended) but there are other applications for these. Night hog hunting is one. SHTF, insurrection of the hordes the other (yeah, I know, highly improbable).

1 hour ago, Murph said:

Ablist the funny thing is pit bulls are supposed to be banned, or near enough, over here yet they are by far the most common dog type owned by neds.  Poorly trained ones that run amok without being under control or on a leash are far too common as well. 

There was a recent case where a staffie type ran into someones flat when they opened their door and attacked the owners dog

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/woman-mauled-aberdeen-flat-out-18950056

This kind of thing seems increasingly common and you don't even get a sorry from the dogs owner.  It cost me around £500 when my poor little dog was attacked by a dog that was left unleashed and repeatedly chased and attacked dogs.  When the local authorities visited the owners after a second incident to ask them to keep their dog leashed the owners appeared outside my house half an hour later with the dog running loose again and jumping up on my outside wall trying to get to the window when it saw my dog.

Another time when I had a Dobbie a staffie tried to attack it but he was a very quick dog for his size so he pinned the staffie by the back of its neck until the owner came.  The owner and his friends didn't like that his dog had been so easily pinned so they waited until I had walked away and turned my back before letting the dog loose again so it could attack my dog from behind while I had him on a short leash.

I get it. I felt much the same way when one of my dogs was attacked by incompetent owners unleashed and uncontrolled dogs. I had the neighbors from hell about 10 years ago. I’ve learned the hard way so now I have acreage, multiple layers of fencing etc. So fortunately for my neighbors, their dogs, my dogs and myself these things are not a concern anymore. I understand that isn’t always the case though.

When using a hidey hole, consider what will happen in a fire, wind storm, flood.  If it is low premium stuff, fire and water should not affect it much.  Wind/tornado/hurricane can cause the valuables to disappear from their hidey hole.  Best to have it stored in something fireproof bolted to the floor or buried under it.

On 19/08/2019 at 03:34, Murph said:

When I was little, I remember we had a neighbour that was a retired old school steel worker. The estate like many estates had problems with "problem" families (code speak for scum). He and his Wife used to have a tiny little Yorkie that would happily and quietly scoop about their front garden whilst he would be using one of those little axe things (forget their name) that had the axe blade on one side and a point on the other, to make kindling for their aga cooker.

We used to have these problem families (read again as scum) that had Pittbull Rottie crosses that were always allowed to roam around the estate unleashed and uncontrolled. Whenever these dogs were seen loose, Mums would go nuts in getting their kids inside. One day these dogs were loose and caught scent of my neighbour's little Yorkie. The fence they had around their front garden was about waist high, so was reasonably sized to keep most animals out. Didn't stop these Pittbull Rottie crosses from leaping over and making a bee line for their Yorkie. My neighbour knew they were coming as he was alerted to their deep grow as they approached at speed to his fence. Over they leapt. His Yorkie naturally hide behind it's owner who was ready and waiting for these Pittbull crosses with one arm outstretched like he was holding a shield, with the other holding the small axe ready to strike.

The first Pittbull naturally went straight for the outstretched arm and as soon as it reared up to bite he brought said little axe right down on top of it's skull. Pittbull No 1 was dead before it even hit the ground. Pittbull No 2 was now almost on top of him so as the 2nd Pittbull came up over him exposing it's belly, he used the pointy axe end to effectively eviscerate it from underneath. Now that 2nd Pittbull screamed like you wouldn't believe. In fact it was that 2nd Pittbulls scream that I remember most of all.

After it was all over with, Police came round to take statements etc. And here's the kicker - the owners of those dogs had nothing done to them. Luckily for our neighbour nothing happened to him either, but it didn't stop the owners from beginning a campaign of intimidation against him - which didn't last that long either.

Turns out this old mild mannered retired steel worker we all liked and knew was a Korean War vet and had ample experience in dealing with Chinese attack dogs!

I've often wondered why the dog owners campaign of intimidation only lasted a very short period of time..........

46 minutes ago, tallyhojim said:

Even after all these years, I still feel sorry for the Pittbulls, as it wasn't their fault they were the way they were. But on the flip side, they would have ripped someone limb from limb eventually......

Ironic as your name suggests, I lived in the countryside and had lots of people lost their cats to the hunt dogs, pet rabhit etc and yet never was anything done to those hounds or the hunt itself...a dangerous dog is sometimes in the eye of the beholder or owner.

Question: for all who stash PMs all over the house in secret little places, how do you keep track? Do you stash it and forget it? What happens if you really forget it and sell your house years later with the forgotten stash in it?

My aunt, who has worked all her life, was the sort who would stash extra money in hiding places... Years later, the time came to downsize and sell the house to move to a smaller one, and while packing, she found several thousand dollars of stashed money she had completely forgotten about? Some of it was in the oddest of places, such as inside a folded pair of socks. She still has no idea if she left some money in the old house for the new owner to find.

10 minutes ago, verorl said:

Question: for all who stash PMs all over the house in secret little places, how do you keep track? Do you stash it and forget it? What happens if you really forget it and sell your house years later with the forgotten stash in it?

My aunt, who has worked all her life, was the sort who would stash extra money in hiding places... Years later, the time came to downsize and sell the house to move to a smaller one, and while packing, she found several thousand dollars of stashed money she had completely forgotten about? Some of it was in the oddest of places, such as inside a folded pair of socks. She still has no idea if she left some money in the old house for the new owner to find.

Encrypted/password protected "SPREADSHEET" is the equivalent of "treasure map" Only tell  TOTALLY trustworthy Family members how to get to this and follow the  trail!

minions what GIF

9 minutes ago, verorl said:

Question: for all who stash PMs all over the house in secret little places, how do you keep track? Do you stash it and forget it?

I would suggest keeping an encrypted list on a password accessed memory stick (actually two, in different and separate locations) and if you have a retained Solicitor where your house deeds etc are kept put a hard copy there (in some kind of code) as well, and/or a less-coded note with a relative (don't tell them what it is, no matter how trusted, for their own safety as much as anything - say something like 'if I ever have an accident, these are my final wishes').

There's a very interesting thread on here from a few months back where a chap found a gold bar in his garden and then proceeded to get a digger in with a metal detector and start to dig the whole thing up in case there were more. Not sure what happened in the end but he was talking about maybe taking his house apart brick by brick too 🤣

Brilliant thread on so many levels (not least the twist when he 'sold' the bar back to the refinery!) hopefully someone can link it :)

3 minutes ago, 5huggy said:

Encrypted/password protected "SPREADSHEET" is the equivalent of "treasure map" Only tell  TOTALLY trustworthy Family members how to get to this and follow the  trail!

minions what GIF

Not sure whether it is best to use one of those encrypted containers or an encrypted spreadsheet.

Some applications create a cached version of a file in case the application closes without saving.

Those containers can contain any type of file and it can be a good way of grouping lots of files together with one password.

Anything on PC I would use a device that's always offline to create 'treasure maps' unless you know how to definitely wipe everything clean before ever connecting (personally I think I do the best job I can but as a cynical sod I don't trust PCs at all, after all they have a sticker on the keyboard of laptops saying 'Intel Inside'!). Mobile phones, tablets - forget it.

If you have a garden you could just bury the instructions and instruct loved ones that if you go you want the plant you put over the top dug up by next of kin before the Will can be administered/executed. Easy.

Just thought of another great hiding place mentioned on here before - in big tins of paint etc in a garage/workshop.

Archived