• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Buying Monthly....

Peterc2609

Hi All

Found this site after a Google search!

I've decided to buy Silver on a regular basis (i.e. as an investment).

I'm not really interested in fancy coins (for the fanciness)... I just want silver but don't want to be a coin collector

Any recommendations on what I should buy? Bars, specific Coins etc...

Although if certain coins are worth considerably more as coins rather than silver then I'd be interested.

Thanks for helping....

If you're in the U.K. silver is a bit expensive due to VAT. 

If you like the idea of owning physical stuff bullion coins such as Britannias are exempt from Capital Gains Tax so they are quite a good bet in my opinion, they are also often the cheapest.

Perhaps consider avoiding fancy coins unless you do a great deal of research. Their value beyond the silver is hugely dependant on a number of factors not just mintage numbers. 

Check out the EU mint group order thread on here. It's the cheapest place I've found so far, with far less risk of buying a counterfeit. 

Ok, be wary of eBay, if you dont have calipers, a digital scale, rare earth/neodymium magnet you'll have a hard time telling the real from the fakes.

The group buys on here, facilitated by BackYardBullion, are really worth it, although this months may be the last because of Brexit. Time will tell what happens to those i suppose.  This forum also has a for sale section, which is a good place to pick up small  (or large, i dont know your budget) amounts of silver bullion.  Ive bought from a couple of sellers (ive never sold, i cant see why i would sell my stack) 😂

Good luck, you've picled a good way to prepare for whats coming in the global financial system, precious metals like gold and silver are a great hedge against financial ruin.

Thanks guys.

I've had a look at groupbuy, great idea!

Also checked out EU Mint. I did a search for Brittania but nothing showed up.. am I missing something?

Added 0 minutes later...

Ignore me... Would help if I actually spelt Britannia correctly!

4 minutes ago, Peterc2609 said:

So the Britannia coins are 17.45 euro each. But the price of silver today is 15.10 per ounce??

So is it right that I'm buying at a loss already?

Yep, welcome to the world of silver stacking. If your playing a long game silver should outstrip gold. If it's medium term , I.e. At least 5 years your better off with gold, lower spreads. F your want a quick punt, try something else. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

5 minutes ago, Peterc2609 said:

So the Britannia coins are 17.45 euro each. But the price of silver today is 15.10 per ounce??

So is it right that I'm buying at a loss already?

The spot price is practically the raw material price, not the buying price in general. Although sometimes deals can be found close to or at spot, this isn't the rule. It is like comparing the price of diesel in the gas station with the closing price per barrel.

Instagram: gildeon_67

Any scammers big time will be noticed very quickly. Probably best to deal with established members with good trading scores initially. Group buys are good for smallish type orders.

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

2 hours ago, Peterc2609 said:

Hi All

Found this site after a Google search!

I've decided to buy Silver on a regular basis (i.e. as an investment).

I'm not really interested in fancy coins (for the fanciness)... I just want silver but don't want to be a coin collector

Any recommendations on what I should buy? Bars, specific Coins etc...

Although if certain coins are worth considerably more as coins rather than silver then I'd be interested.

Thanks for helping....

Your strategy should devote itself to collecting 10 oz., Kilo and 100 oz. bars. I would pay attention to coins to some extent as if you're aware, you'll be able to recognize which have great appreciation potential. Good luck, it will require a lot of discipline to acquire silver purely for ounces. The fancy stuff is quite appealing.

@ Peterc2609 since you are in the UK, gold would be a good bet, small steady regular purchases, that is unless you are loaded. As for silver there will be loads of different advice. I have bullion coins form the major mints, US, Canada, UK etc. I don't bother with capsules these are purely stacking coins, put in tube's. Also pre 1947 silver as others have said.  I think the secret is long term investments. I hope this helps.

Andy

IMG_20190808_142820.jpg

IMG_20190808_144739.jpg

IMG_20190808_145319.jpg

IMG_20190806_181440.jpg

IMO silver is a buy now the silver gold ratio is high.  Buy from Europe if you live in the UK the VAT rules are better there on silver.  If you live in the UK buy Britannias mostly if not make sure you buy Government mint coins that the bullion dealers know eg maples eagles etc.  You can get good deals on here sometimes.  

Hi all 

I'm new to the forum and was thinking the same as Peterc2609 collecting silver as an investment but after buying some Britannia coins and admiring one of the coins I'm now finding myself looking at every possible online shop like an obsessed magpie. Especially liking the 2014 JC Britannia which as you will all know is not good £££ per ounce or ouch lol.

Guess my plans are getting a bit sidetracked 😁

On 11/08/2019 at 17:13, Notafront4adragon said:

Also old British (and lots of other countries) coins have silver in them and can sometimes be the cheapest option. UK Pre 1947 ones 50% Pre 1921 are 92.5% (sterling) silver. 

US Coins it's 1964 and older, they're 90% silver (1965-1969 half dollars are 40%, then they stopped).

Good luck!

Fixed for you ;)

Remember that silver tarnish with time (easy to deal with) and get milk spots (not so easy to deal with), so your "investment" might be returning very long time just to get back capital putted in it. Premium on silver is high comparing to gold and needs bigger increase in metal price to cover that. BUT silver has a special charm and is very addictive 😋

regular means to say, when there is a spot price drop of say >$1.00

or when there is a sales promotions, eg 50 cents over spot for mobile apps users etc

members need urgent cash and selling for spot

certain bars can be bought much cheaper as compared in different countries locations etc 

etc

Archived