• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Error on coin

gazer

I have a 1843 gold shield sov that as numeral used Roman 1 instead of the second Letter in the word Britanniarum is it worth more, I had a look around but no information on pricing. Grade around fine. It would have been much better if the reef section was an error, at the bottom of the shield.

20190810_131714.jpg

20190810_142541.jpg

What I read it's a reversed Roman 1Numeral instead of the second Letter. I double checked and did see a difference. But I check again I'm probably just getting my hopes up, but if checked a few times. I think the best example I saw was on the GoldSovereignExpert site, Rare reversed 1 instead of I Hope I'm right probably not. By the way you were right I sent the other sov back to the Mint 

29 minutes ago, gazer said:

What I read it's a reversed Roman 1Numeral instead of the second Letter. I double checked and did see a difference. But I check again I'm probably just getting my hopes up, but if checked a few times. I think the best example I saw was on the GoldSovereignExpert site, Rare reversed 1 instead of I Hope I'm right probably not. By the way you were right I sent the other sov back to the Mint 

A reversed Roman 1 will be the same as a normal Roman 1 as the figure is symmetrical. There is a reversed Arabic 1 that sometimes masquerades as a normal 1 or as a letter i

most Roman 1 errors you see are actually Arabic 1 over reversed Arabic 1, true Roman 1 instead of 1 in the date are actually very rare.

Actually these errors are probably misnomers, they are probably just capital letter i not Roman I which look the same. Put it this way they didn't use true Roman number 1 punches after William  but capital i are used extensively, if in fact there is a difference.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

4 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

A reversed Roman 1 will be the same as a normal Roman 1 as the figure is symmetrical. There is a reversed Arabic 1 that sometimes masquerades as a normal 1 or as a letter i

most Roman 1 errors you see are actually Arabic 1 over reversed Arabic 1, true Roman 1 instead of 1 in the date are actually very rare.

Actually these errors are probably misnomers, they are probably just capital letter i not Roman I which look the same. Put it this way they didn't use true Roman number 1 punches after William  but capital i are used extensively, if in fact there is a difference.

Thank you for the information. I'm learning every day.

When I read this I thought that sounds unusual a r replaced by an I.  Then I saw the pic and thought that's just a normal coin before realising you didn't mean the second letter but the second i even though I still couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. 

Archived