• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Claiming back VAT on silver from the EU after Brexit

HighlandTiger

Just been reading a news report on what will happen after a no deal brexit, and this sentence caught my eye. Is this a possibility of claiming back the VAT paid on silver bought in the EU. Interesting I think

A no deal would mean the return of duty-free and the right of British travellers to claim a refund of VAT paid on goods during their stay in the EU. 

I think realistically its hard to imagine them imposing duty/VAT on goods coming in from the EU in a no deal scenario simply because I don't think they have the resources to do it. There is also the optics of it. Boris is currently sprinkling money everywhere because a general election is likely not far off. It seems highly unlikely to me that he'll want to enrage voters by suddenly enforcing VAT / Duty payments on goods coming in from the EU. I personally think they'll be avoiding that at all costs. As usual though...  we shall see.

Even if there's no deal there'll be a deal. And for some areas there will be an instant interim agreement, VAT being one of them.  That's why the horrific consequences of no deal, as pushed hard by the media, is a ridiculous scare tactic. 

On 06/08/2019 at 09:08, savoyard said:

My mate told me that, if there is a no deal Brexit, lager will go down to 50p a pint.

Only because all that will be available will be Carling. I wouldn’t pay 50p for that tasteless bad today, never mind on 1 November. All the other hipster brew dog nonsense will remain at £6 for a 330ml can...

On 04/08/2019 at 09:05, HighlandTiger said:

Just been reading a news report on what will happen after a no deal brexit, and this sentence caught my eye. Is this a possibility of claiming back the VAT paid on silver bought in the EU. Interesting I think

A no deal would mean the return of duty-free and the right of British travellers to claim a refund of VAT paid on goods during their stay in the EU. 

But the European sellers wouldn't charge you VAT in that case surely?  Just as UK companies don't charge VAT to people from outside the EU who buy goods here in many cases.

Also that's for travellers and how many people are going to travel to buy some silver.  

Buying it online and having it delivered would be just like buying it from the US or Australia, for example, now and you'd be hit with all the fees involved - VAT, handling fees and possibly duty.

I see some posters think the government wouldn't do such a thing, either because there would be too much added work (lol, as if they ever worry about that since it isn't them doing the work) or they wouldn't want to upset the populace.

I really don't think that many people buy goods online from the EU often enough that the government would worry about it or would give up the chance of gathering a little more tax.

Archived