• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign Measuring Tolerance

Slowhand

I found this forum while searching for Sovereign information.  I have fallen in love with the coin.  I have primarily put all my money into American Gold Eagles.  But Sovereigns allow me to scratch my collectors itch at bullion prices with their great history and different designs.  I can spot a fake AGE a block away.  I’ve handled hundreds of them.  But I don’t have the same experience with sovereigns. 

I bought a dozen from JMB so I don’t doubt their authenticity.  I’m curious how much variation there is in weight and diameter. How far away from a diameter of 22.05mm and a weight of 7.988 is acceptable?

I have a pair from the 80’s that measure:

21.93mm and 7.982g

21.94mm and 7.981g

Thickness is a little trickier.  1.5 and 1.51mm. 

I wouldn’t expect newer coins that haven’t seen circulation to be undersized.  But like I said, I just don’t have experience with these.

I have about 100 sovereigns dating from 1879 to present.
The weight ranges from 7.94 for worn Victorian to 8.02 grams for newer with the average 8.00 g
The newer sovereigns also have a very high sheen, a totally different colour from the older less lustrous gold.
The specification is a minimum of 7.98g
Thickness is a difficult measurement and never measure just the rim which can protrude by different amounts.

15 hours ago, Pete said:

I have about 100 sovereigns dating from 1879 to present.
The weight ranges from 7.94 for worn Victorian to 8.02 grams for newer with the average 8.00 g
The newer sovereigns also have a very high sheen, a totally different colour from the older less lustrous gold.
The specification is a minimum of 7.98g
Thickness is a difficult measurement and never measure just the rim which can protrude by different amounts.

how would you measure how thick a sovereign should be , I have always measured from the rim .

9 minutes ago, darrol said:

how would you measure how thick a sovereign should be , I have always measured from the rim .

The rim can be very misleading.
When the die presses the blank the gold moves and sometimes is extruded a bit more around the rim.
A protruding rim can give a false indication of thickness.

I make a couple of measurements using a micrometer ( shape of a "G" ), avoiding the rim.
The jaws on my micrometer are small enough to permit this.
I use vernier callipers for diameter but they are no use for centre thickness measurements.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 01/08/2019 at 11:12, Pete said:

The rim can be very misleading.
When the die presses the blank the gold moves and sometimes is extruded a bit more around the rim.
A protruding rim can give a false indication of thickness.

I make a couple of measurements using a micrometer ( shape of a "G" ), avoiding the rim.
The jaws on my micrometer are small enough to permit this.
I use vernier callipers for diameter but they are no use for centre thickness measurements.

100 sovs, now we know why there's none left for the rest of us lol

Archived