• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Monitoring Thread £ GBP only

Paul
Message added by ChrisSilver

This topic is to discuss price action in GBP, to discuss price action in $ USD, please see this topic: https://thesilverforum.com/topic/19962-gold-monitoring-thread-usd-only/

📌 For general non PM chat there is the Hangout topic here: 

On 11/05/2024 at 09:33, Bratnia said:

China prohibits exporting gold, whilst the West is permitting gold to be exported to China. With 123 times more paper gold than physical gold at some point physical gold in the West will become scarce. Western savers will have to rely more upon paper gold and the additional risks that involves - that if there is a gold-rush, sudden/high demand for physical delivery they'll be in a queue of 123 for each claim to one ounce of gold - highly likely being disappointed (lost their money). Indeed left as-is China may very well at some point opt to initiate/drive such a gold-rush, however instead as that risk rises the West (US) may very well look to impose changes such as prohibiting the export of gold, and when such policies are introduced they're more inclined to be accompanied with other conditions, such as the amount of physical gold individuals can own/hold. In part that is already evident in the higher taxation that the US applies to Americans holding gold.

Totally lost , 133 times more paper gold than real gold ??? what’s paper gold ??? How do you get it , and how do you cash it in ??? as in change it into cash , thanks 

18 minutes ago, treetop1280 said:

Totally lost , 133 times more paper gold than real gold ??? what’s paper gold ??? How do you get it , and how do you cash it in ??? as in change it into cash , thanks 

Member in the tuck shop at primary school when you put in an IOU to pay back the 55p it cost for a tin of coke, 3 packets of crisps, 2 freddos and a Lambert and Butler?

Did you ever pay it back? That's paper gold

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

7 hours ago, Thelonerangershorse said:

So, it's Sunday morning everyone, lets have predictions for next weekend's close.

Just tell em what they want to hear - my prediction for next week is 70 quint million zillion

A new ATH might be hit before the end of the month, either this week or next, but equally I don't think it's sustainable

I'll go for a close of £1927 next week but I'm stick to anything above $2400 is too hot for this time of year. Look to September for the rocket launch

• Founder & Administrator

Some posts moved to the hangout topic, please use that topic for general chat and not the gold monitoring topic.

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/86368-📌-premium-members-hangout/page/297/

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

16 minutes ago, Thelonerangershorse said:

Just watched this, I call BS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xh7ZRWUmMw

He's pushing the narrative that once the stock markets and USD collapse, the central authorities will be forced to revalue all debt and currency into gold and by extension, silver. If you do those calculations you can put gold at an insanely high price (think if the US revalued the $35 trillion debt + $35 trillion assets into gold) and thus for a limited period during the currency revaluation transition, you could buy a house for a few ounces of gold or 75-100 ounces of silver

I agree it's highly speculative but it's fun to think about. I could buy an entire street with my stack 😂

42 minutes ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

He's pushing the narrative that once the stock markets and USD collapse, the central authorities will be forced to revalue all debt and currency into gold and by extension, silver. If you do those calculations you can put gold at an insanely high price (think if the US revalued the $35 trillion debt + $35 trillion assets into gold) and thus for a limited period during the currency revaluation transition, you could buy a house for a few ounces of gold or 75-100 ounces of silver

I agree it's highly speculative but it's fun to think about. I could buy an entire street with my stack 😂

Debt is (fiat) money so with around $300 trillion of total global debt and around 200,000 tonnes of gold you could peg fiat money per troy ounces of gold at around a $46,666/oz rate in order to move to a gold standard. From a US only perspective 35 trillion debt and 8000 tonnes of gold holdings = $140,000/oz price would be required, near three times higher than the global figure, or a.k.a the US dollar/debt would need to fall by around 66%. Nowhere near as bad as the Wall Street Crash when prices halved, halved again and halved yet again (-87.5% decline) ... so obviously everything is fine.

32 minutes ago, Bratnia said:

You can generate a form of 'dividend' from gold with Options/Futures as the price includes a element of time-value, reflective of interest that might have been earned/paid over the length of time of the contract

The "element of time-value, reflective of interest that might have been earned/paid" to which you refer is generally referred to as "cost of carry" as regards a futures contract. This is the term used whether the underlying product be either a physical or a financial product.

Options prices are based on the futures price and, as such, the "cost of carry" is already inherent.

"Time value" per se is a term used specifically to refer to that part of an option price which is not "intrinsic value". It is fundamentally a gauge of the expected value of the strike price of the option upon expiry. 

There are, of course, further elements involved (eg implied v actual volatilty) but they are relatively insignificant as a rule. 

‘Let all the poisons that lurk in the mud hatch out.’

5 minutes ago, treetop1280 said:

I take it is for the big traders,  so your average person would prefer the actual gold in there hands rather than a piece of paper to cash in , thanks 

Each standard Option is 100 ounces of gold, so north of $236K value at recent price levels. There are however E-mini alternatives that are 50 ounces of gold around $118K recent value. If you owned that much gold you could offer it up for delivery in say a years time for a particular price, and receive some interest as well (time-value). Or use Futures to do similar. So depends upon your definition of average person, whether $100K odd in gold is a lot or not. For someone with say 3 400oz standard bars they might hold a combination of gold price exposure methods, some in-hand, some in Options or other such paper-gold methods. Each method has its own distinct form of risk/benefits (such as perhaps being able to be traded 24/7 via a few mouse-clicks).

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Bratnia said:

If you owned that much gold you could offer it up for delivery in say a years time for a particular price, and receive some interest as well (time-value)

The easiest way to think of the"interest/time-value" is to imagine yourself as an insurer. The price at which you sell the option (call in this case) is the insurance premium you receive. As long as the option expires worthless then you keep the entire premium.

If the option expires "in the money" then you are liable for potentially huge losses.

The allusion to insurance is not coincidental, hence selling an option is often referred to as "writing" (cf "underwriting") that option. 

Edited by PapaLazarou

‘Let all the poisons that lurk in the mud hatch out.’

8 minutes ago, PapaLazarou said:

The easiest way to think of the"interest/time-value" is to imagine yourself as an insurer. The price at which you sell the option (call in this case) is the insurance premium you receive. As long as the option expires worthless then you keep the entire premium.

If the option expires "in the money" then you are liable for potentially huge losses.

The allusion to insurance is not coincidental, hence selling an option is often referred to as "writing" that option. 

Thanks PapaLazarou

We've been in a low interest rate era for many years now, in higher interest rate periods it was more common to eek out additional benefits/interest via the likes of Futures/Options, much less so since 2008/9 so its many years since I last looked at/traded Futures/Options. You clearly have much more insight that myself, guess you work(ed) in that field rather than me just being a regular investor. My use used to be having a pre-known price/amount of a asset that I'd be happy to sell at and then add on contracts to yield a bit more rewards/earn 'interest' on top.

In more remote places in India, not well served by regular banking systems, I believe its quite common for individuals to save using gold. There are also money lenders that will typically lend up to 70% of the spot gold value of a individuals gold, for a 7% type pro-rata rate of interest. So someone with some gold might deposit that with a money lender in return for cash, spend that cash on whatever, and then maybe a week later once they’ve been paid pay off that loan and get their gold back. Something like a 0.13% interest cost amount to have borrowed the cash for the week (borrow £100, pay back £100.13). Both parties happy, as the lender has gold and receives up to 7%/year interest on top, individual gets cheap access to cash, and if the borrower defaults the lender has more gold on their books in effect acquired at a 30% discount price.

Just methods to potentially make your capital work that bit harder.

Surely bounces to da moon now that this BullionVault advert...., ahem, article in DM is out.  (no investment advice). B)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/mailplus/article-13406865/As-world-lurches-crisis-crisis-experts-share-24-carat-advice-GOLD.html

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

On relevant things check out this video below. Start at 5:20. It's super boring and conservative but 100% on the money IMHO. Pay attention to their predictions for gold and silver the rest of the year. Mirrors what I've been saying. This summer until late August/early September will be consolidation, not wild appreciation. If gold goes above $2400 it will fall back again until we get to September. The last 4 months of 2024 will be hot for gold and silver and will continue to remain hot until the end of 2025 at the earliest if not 2026. I predicted that in the middle of 2023 BTW and have consistently said the earliest I would sell would be late 2025, if at all

... for the US

Much capital flighted to the US due to uncertainties/wars. The S&P500 has been pulled up a lot by the Magnificent 7. As fear subsides so might capital flight out of the dollar to ... wherever 'better' returns might be seen to potentially be made. The UK's FT All Share index has lagged, its PE is around half that of the S&P500, as money leaves the US so might the price of gold in dollars rise, as might a strengthening Pound be additional rewards for US investors who bought Pounds to buy the UK's FT All Share. If a American gives 1.25 USD to buy a Pound, and the FTAS index they buy increases by 15%, and the Pound strengthens to buy 1.35 USD, then the Americans reward is over 24%

Historically stock price only (FT Composite/All Share) to gold ratio has broadly seen the two provide similar returns. Stocks obviously pay dividends on top, however we might use that price only / gold ratio as a input into Robert Lichello's AIM - which in turn provides a indicator of how much gold weighting to start each year with in a stock and gold asset allocation/portfolio

spacer.png

Historically that yielded better results than just simple 50/50 yearly rebalanced stock/gold, reduced the 30 year SWR risk and in some cases scaled up the rewards considerably.

In short, what might be a case of stocks down, gold up ... for American's, needn't be true for a British investor who could see stocks up, gold down. AIM had 2024 start with just 7% gold being indicated, i.e. is suggesting that stocks may start to do well, the price of gold in Pounds may presently be relatively high.

AIM has done a reasonable job in the past, for instance with reference to the second chart in the above image late 1960's was a relatively poor start date for retirees, stocks struggled, as was the late 1990's. AIM at those times was suggesting relatively high gold weightings. In the early 1980's after large gold gains and after which gold yielded relatively low/poor returns up to the late 1990's, AIM indicated relatively low gold weightings. Again more recently it is flagging relatively low gold weightings.

Perhaps by year end 2024 the Ukraine and Israel wars might have been resolved, fear being replaced with greed, stocks up, gold down. To recent the AIM indicated 7% year start gold weighting (so 93% stock) has been a relatively bad outcome, gold has done well, stocks have been flat, so obviously it is not a great indicator across all of time and time periods, but more broadly it does tend to do a OK job of indicating reasonable/appropriate allocation weightings.

Edited by Bratnia

2 minutes ago, Chronos said:

If you're going to start taking investment advice from Reddit, can I also suggest the NBS.

"To get to where I need to be, I start by walking away from where I am."

4 minutes ago, Chronos said:

To be fair, the global economy has been on life support since 2008. It's never recovered and never will. It's over due another fatal event. But they've been kicking that can down the road for years. 

2 minutes ago, Thelonerangershorse said:

If you're going to start taking investment advice from Reddit, can I also suggest the NBS.

We are straight up lit on the NBS :D 

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/