• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Monitoring Thread £ GBP only

Paul
Message added by ChrisSilver

This topic is to discuss price action in GBP, to discuss price action in $ USD, please see this topic: https://thesilverforum.com/topic/19962-gold-monitoring-thread-usd-only/

📌 For general non PM chat there is the Hangout topic here: 

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

2 minutes ago, PapaLazarou said:

JD Vance at 240/1 is now worth a punt.

Unlikely in my view, but I viewed a second attempt as unlikely too, so perhaps I should add a couple quid on Vance just to lay off the risk on my bet.

New profile pic to support the current thing, because it's current year.

Just now, silversky said:

Unlikely in my view, but I viewed a second attempt as unlikely too, so perhaps I should add a couple quid on Vance just to lay off the risk on my bet.

I didn't or 3rd       I can only see100/1 for Vance on Paddy Power

I'm alright, Jack, Keep your hands off of my stack

5 minutes ago, silversky said:

Unlikely in my view

Mine too, but nor 240/1 unlikely.

Even if only as an excellent trading opportunity. Use Betfair.

Edited by PapaLazarou

‘Let all the poisons that lurk in the mud hatch out.’

I saw a second attempt as very likely, unfortunately. And I still wouldn't rule out more, especially the way the US press are trying to portray him as 'a threat to democracy', so I don't know that this will move the market much. An actual assassination, however, would trigger huge political instability for years, IMO, (especially if Harris then went on to win) and so cause gold to rise a lot further.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

25 minutes ago, silversky said:

I thought you were going to post a blue haired land whale....  hehehe

Well since you asked about hair... :ph34r:

Here are the odds expressed in digital format on the betfair exchange.  (other bookies are available)

A couple of things to notice... JD Vance has odds which express him as being far more likely (not likely at all) to win the election than Tim Waltz, if something were to happen to either of their lead candidates.  Basically this means that the betting public don't consider that Kamala has a threat to her life, and or that if she did drop out for any reason then Waltz is un liked and might not even be the standby candidate.  Vance would certainly be supported by Trump supporters.  I don't think the same is true of Waltz.  Also, note that Biden is at 1000 which means that the public believes that Biden is out of the running no matter what happens.  Obama and Hillary are both still in the running (in the minds of the betting public) if anything were to put Kamala out of the race.

image.png.2770aa2b110d7a4355ae2ed7b597abe8.png

Edit:  Trump was up at 2.18 earlier this afternoon.  I bought some at that price some hours before the attempt and the price fell before the attempt.  (Lower price means the gamblers think he has more chance of winning.  2.0 is even odds)

Edited by silversky

29 minutes ago, PapaLazarou said:

Mine too, but nor 240/1 unlikely.

Even if only as an excellent trading opportunity.

The chance that some loony succeeds now is extremely unlikely IMO.  As the weeks pass by, this ticket will move towards worthless so I don't think it will be an excellent trading position.  It won't be a tradable by election day.  Possibly it's not even a tradable position today depending on the rules.  I don't think the states can change the names on the ballots, so it might even be ruled that a candidate would be considered to have won if the public vote for him even though he was deceased.  I don't know.  Have to read the small print on bookies tickets very carefully.

50 minutes ago, BLOOMMAN101 said:

image.thumb.png.60b95855258d8fbc7c03e13cf2bd9622.png

There's a sense of chaos in the USA imo. Up at the open.

8 hours ago, CDH said:

I saw a second attempt as very likely, unfortunately. And I still wouldn't rule out more, especially the way the US press are trying to portray him as 'a threat to democracy', so I don't know that this will move the market much. An actual assassination, however, would trigger huge political instability for years, IMO, (especially if Harris then went on to win) and so cause gold to rise a lot further.

I wouldn't rule out more attempts either. The US establishment is running out of options for stopping him.

As I see it it has to be one of three possibilities

1. A rigged election (been done before - probably wont work a second time)

2. Start WWIII   - Definite possibility.

3. A successful assassination using a useful idiot as a patsy. 

The implications of a successful assassination attempt however are somewhat worrying as so many in the Trump camp - probably all of them in fact - would see it as a deliberate move by his opponents - which it very possibly would be - and the consequences of that could not only destroy the US in civil war but pull the rest of us into it too.

Gold holding well at £1966.81

Edited by flyingveepixie

What strategy would leaders take when they know their country is very likely to go to war and the war physically taking place in that country?

Start moving the county's wealth out of the way...

Secretly sell or move their gold out of the country?

Move the very wealthy people (the recent plumber on the news from the UK) out of that country by introducing new higher tax rules and moving that wealth to safety without them knowing the real reason behind the hike in tax?

Does anyone remember the emergency test message that was sent to all UK smartphones a few years ago, driven by the leaders?

Seriously, are we gearing up for war and I mean to be physically involved and see it unfold from within the country we live?

I really hope we don't.

That would make the gold coil spring back further and gold to skyrocket.

Gold pulling back slightly at £1,960.

Edited by GoldenGriffin
Remove blabber

18 minutes ago, GoldenGriffin said:

What strategy would leaders take when they know their country is very likely to go to war?

Start moving the county's wealth out of the way...

Secretly sell (move) their gold out of the country? 

Move the very wealthy people (the plumber from the UK) but more importantly, their wealth out of that country by introducing new tax rules to safeguard that wealth but make them believe it was their decision based on new changes in tax rules but in reality it was a strategic move to keep it covert and 'low key' driven by leaders. 

Does anyone remember the emergency message that was sent to all smartphones a few years ago, driven by the leaders?

Seriously, are we gearing up for war and I mean to be physically involved and see it unfold from within the country we live?

I really hope we don't.

That would make the gold coil spring back further and gold to skyrocket.

Gold pulling back slightly at £1,960.

Unless all sides agree not to use Nuclear weapons it's difficult to see how WW3 could happen without mutual assured destruction.

I can only see a continuation of the current hybrid War.

Also Western nations seem regard large sections of their own populations with contempt which seems an odd way to get people to fight against Russia or China.

Personally I'm more concerned about Starmer than Putin.

J D Vance's odds of winning the US election have fallen by over a third in less than 24 hours - from 240/1 to 150/1.

JDV.png

Edited by PapaLazarou

‘Let all the poisons that lurk in the mud hatch out.’