• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Monitoring Thread £ GBP only

Paul
Message added by ChrisSilver

This topic is to discuss price action in GBP, to discuss price action in $ USD, please see this topic: https://thesilverforum.com/topic/19962-gold-monitoring-thread-usd-only/

📌 For general non PM chat there is the Hangout topic here: 

2 minutes ago, bobski said:

And if you walk into any pub in a working class area, you'll have the same conversation skewed to the leave vote

You are getting me wrong Dude - I am not trying to skew the result one way or the other- I am merely pointing out that:

1. The referendum itself was a manifesto pledge by the Tory party which they themselves did not believe would ever lead to us leaving the EU. The whole concept of a referendum was nothing more than a political stick Cameron dreamed up to beat the Labour government of the day with owing to the underlying murmurings of discontent with the EU (real or media-stoked) with the general public - it was a useful political tool for PMQ's. When it then duly became a manifesto pledge of the Tories and they actually got in to power (albeit as part of a coalition with the LibDems) they squirmed like fury to get out of it but ended up 'hoist by his own petard'.

2. Whether we like it or not - the rules being what they were: that every legal voter has a vote and a straight majority wins the day - we voted to leave. We can sit and reflect in despair or rejoice in ecstasy it matters not a jot - we can point out technicalities of who should have or could have or maybe might have if they were not yet dead or unborn -  we voted as a country to leave. That's it. terrible happens. We now must make the best of the hand we have.

3. I couldn't give a rats-ass who thinks what down the pub, what their perceived class or socio-economic status is or whether they voted Reform or Stalinist. I was driven out of pubs years ago by the  tobacco natzis and prohibitive alcohol duties.

8 minutes ago, ArgentSmith said:

If you participate you are part of the problem. Just a thought.

If you don't participate, the problem will eat you. Just a worry.

6 minutes ago, Dalriada83 said:

3. I couldn't give a rats-ass who thinks what down the pub, what their perceived class or socio-economic status is or whether they voted Reform or Stalinist. I was driven out of pubs years ago by the  tobacco natzis and prohibitive alcohol duties.

Interestingly, said tobacco natzis don't even frequent pubs.

New profile pic to support the current thing, because it's current year.

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Dalriada83 said:

I am not sure where you are getting 'non-binding referendum' from - a referendum of the plebiscite in this country means "a direct vote by the people on a proposed law or political issue' for a direct decision  - anything else is called a 'poll' of opinion.

image.png.16548f20e94e84a85cbc51a9aee9bc27.png

I really don't like to talk politics because people usually are blind and they can see only what they believe is true for them but...

image.png.9cdc7e809b7d817989e00e4e6f8cd71a.png

''The simple answer to the question as to whether the EU referendum is legally binding is “no”. In theory, in the event of a vote to leave the EU, David Cameron, who opposes Brexit, could decide to ignore the will of the people and put the question to MPs banking on a majority deciding to remain.

This is because parliament is sovereign and referendums are generally not binding in the UK.

European Union referendum polling day – as it happened

Read more

An exception was the 2011 referendum on changing the electoral system to alternative vote, where the relevant legislation obligated the government to change the law to reflect a “yes” vote had that occurred. No such provision was contained within the EU referendum legislation.''

Edited by theman73

More silver coins on my website  

dancu.co.uk

4 minutes ago, silversky said:

Interestingly, said tobacco natzis don't even frequent pubs.

An illustration of the terrifying power of the sanctimonious w****s who police our 'public opinion'. Beware the tyranny of the 'majority' (real or perceived).

15 minutes ago, Dalriada83 said:

You are getting me wrong Dude - I am not trying to skew the result one way or the other- I am merely pointing out that:

1. The referendum itself was a manifesto pledge by the Tory party which they themselves did not believe would ever lead to us leaving the EU. The whole concept of a referendum was nothing more than a political stick Cameron dreamed up to beat the Labour government of the day with owing to the underlying murmurings of discontent with the EU (real or media-stoked) with the general public - it was a useful political tool for PMQ's. When it then duly became a manifesto pledge of the Tories and they actually got in to power (albeit as part of a coalition with the LibDems) they squirmed like fury to get out of it but ended up 'hoist by his own petard'.

2. Whether we like it or not - the rules being what they were: that every legal voter has a vote and a straight majority wins the day - we voted to leave. We can sit and reflect in despair or rejoice in ecstasy it matters not a jot - we can point out technicalities of who should have or could have or maybe might have if they were not yet dead or unborn -  we voted as a country to leave. That's it. terrible happens. We now must make the best of the hand we have.

It sounds like you're arguing against all of your previous points lol

Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants, and debt is the money of slaves

11 minutes ago, theman73 said:

I really don't like to talk politics because people usually are blind and they can see only what they believe is true for them but...

''The simple answer to the question as to whether the EU referendum is legally binding is “no”. In theory, in the event of a vote to leave the EU, David Cameron, who opposes Brexit, could decide to ignore the will of the people and put the question to MPs banking on a majority deciding to remain.

This is because parliament is sovereign and referendums are generally not binding in the UK.

Read more

An exception was the 2011 referendum on changing the electoral system to alternative vote, where the relevant legislation obligated the government to change the law to reflect a “yes” vote had that occurred. No such provision was contained within the EU referendum legislation.''

When you explicitly tell the whole country, that you will abide by the decision of a referendum, you have nowhere else to go. It would be dangerous to go back on such a momentous guarantee 

Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants, and debt is the money of slaves

13 minutes ago, theman73 said:

Read more

Jeez, it’s 8 years ago. People voted. That’s how it works, you don’t get to keep having a vote in this country until it goes your way like Ireland and the Netherlands.

A little known fact that collecting Spoons was therapeutic for the Special people in society to keep them calm. Dickens 

1 minute ago, NGMD said:

Jeez, it’s 8 years ago. People voted. That’s how it works, you don’t get to keep having a vote in this country until it goes your way like Ireland and the Netherlands.

May the Netherlands smash your back windows in on Wednesday 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

2 minutes ago, James32 said:

Sinn Fein enters the chat

3 minutes ago, James32 said:

You Scottish now?😄

A little known fact that collecting Spoons was therapeutic for the Special people in society to keep them calm. Dickens 

HonestMoneyGoldSilver and Dalriada83 are typing...

Oh sweet Jesus, what have I done?

2 minutes ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

And may the other Orange Army do your windies in tamarra 🙏

Off to Brighton with ya.

1 minute ago, Dalriada83 said:

I don't know where you pasted this stuff from mate but in this country (as indeed in most countries) if a government holding a referendum of the plebiscite says' this is a legally binding referendum and we will respect the will of the people' then that's generally what they are held to - remember this result was challenged in the Supreme Court (Miller v Secretary of State for Exiting European Union) - the Supreme Court decided that the Secretary of State would have to pass a bill in Parliament to enact Article 50 of the Treaty of the EU (ie, leave the EU) which he duly did. The Supreme Court did not say that he referendum, or it's result, was illegal - it stated that for it to be passed into law it have to have the weight of an act of Parliament - which was duly forthcoming as it is hardly surprising as the government which had held the referendum could hardly refuse to ratify the mandate which it itself has called for.

The w****s who desperately tried to thwart the result of a referendum of the people (and God knows I did not like the result myself) took multiple cases through the courts - all of them failed for one very simple reason: if a duly elected government of this country holds a referendum of the people and says it will respect the result as legally binding then that is exactly what will happen - no ifs, no buts, no 'I had my fingers crossed behind my back', no 'half the electorate couldn't understand the paperwork' - that is it. Anything else pisses on the memories of our ancestors and I will not agree to that.

Exactly.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Dalriada83 said:

I don't know where you pasted this stuff from mate but in this country (as indeed in most countries) if a government holding a referendum of the plebiscite says' this is a legally binding referendum and we will respect the will of the people' then that's generally what they are held to ...

The w****s who desperately tried to thwart the result of a referendum of the people (and God knows I did not like the result myself) took multiple cases through the courts - all of them failed for one very simple reason: if a duly elected government of this country holds a referendum of the people and says it will respect the result as legally binding then that is exactly what will happen - no ifs, no buts, no 'I had my fingers crossed behind my back', no 'half the electorate couldn't understand the paperwork' - that is it. Anything else pisses on the memories of our ancestors and I will not agree to that.

Agreed. But the Labour threw the rulebook out in Australia as well. We held a federal referendum on 'the Voice' late 2023, and the result was a resounding 'NO'. Every state and NT, with the sole exception of ACT, voted against the referendum, it was overwhelmingly rejected by Australians.

The Albanese government just shrugged and hoisted the task on State level govts to implement the change. Nothing we can do. The left does not play by the civilized rules anymore.

Which should worry everyone regardless of political persuasion, really.

Edited by jultorsk
incorrect date

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

1 minute ago, jultorsk said:

Agreed. But the Labour threw the rulebook out in Australia as well. We held a federal referendum on 'the Voice' earlier this year, and the result was a resounding 'NO'. Every state and NT, with the sole exception of ACT, voted against the referendum, it was overwhelmingly rejected by Australians.

The Albanese government just shrugged and hoisted the task on State level govts to implement the change. Nothing we can do. The left does not play by the civilized rules anymore.

The farther left they go the more authoritarian they get. Da Komrade, enforce DEI and 15 minite cities, ban ICE vehicles, confiscate their gold, tax them on the tax they already paid. Free speech = hate speech, gulag for you, Komrade

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

Clear advantage in number of individual votes to RN. Oh well.

Screenshot 2024-07-07 at 6.22.50 PM.png

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

2 minutes ago, jultorsk said:

Agreed. But the Labour threw the rulebook out in Australia as well. We held a federal referendum on 'the Voice' earlier this year, and the result was a resounding 'NO'. Every state and NT, with the sole exception of ACT, voted against the referendum, it was overwhelmingly rejected by Australians.

What the hell is going on in Oz mate? Why do the people keep voting for a crowd who seem to be torching every concept of democracy while enjoying the protections it gives via the democratic process? Why do the people just vote the buggers out? I know it takes years for a parliamentary term to run but wtf!?

5 minutes ago, Dalriada83 said:

What the hell is going on in Oz mate? Why do the people keep voting for a crowd who seem to be torching every concept of democracy while enjoying the protections it gives via the democratic process? Why do the people just vote the buggers out? I know it takes years for a parliamentary term to run but wtf!?

Because it's illegal not to vote.  The stupidest and least informed are weighted exactly the same as those who have served their nation and care deeply.  Normally the stupid are lazy and tend not to vote, which means that their influence is less.  But when you mandate their vote, you enable the very worst forms of electorate bribing by grifter politicians.

New profile pic to support the current thing, because it's current year.