• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Monitoring Thread £ GBP only

Paul
Message added by ChrisSilver

This topic is to discuss price action in GBP, to discuss price action in $ USD, please see this topic: https://thesilverforum.com/topic/19962-gold-monitoring-thread-usd-only/

📌 For general non PM chat there is the Hangout topic here: 

Screenshot_20240722_171438_X.thumb.jpg.7b823c6819597b8468359ba866ff65d3.jpg

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/

40 minutes ago, VGfine said:

What does this mean? 

TL:DR version: The BoE wants banks to use long-term repos amid a liquidity drain to ensure that banks have stable, long-term access to funds. This helps manage liquidity risks, stabilise the financial system, and support the BoE's broader monetary policy goals (control interest rates/inflation)

A liquidity drain is much like it sounds. There are less cash and cash-like equivalents in the wider banking system. If a drain turned into a blockage, people could struggle to get their money out of the bank, causing panic and bank runs. Banks could also struggle to lend to businesses, and businesses to other businesses. 

A repo agreement = Repurchase Agreement. They are commonly short-term with the "overnight repo rate" being an often quoted metric. As the name suggests, these are lending agreements with a duration of 24 hours or less. Generally repos are short-term instruments with a maturity in hours/days/weeks

The BoE wants banks to use long-term repos, i.e. longer than weeks (months/years). With repos, one party sells an asset - government securities (Treasuries/Gilts) are the most common followed by MBSs (Mortgage Backed Securities, REITs, sometimes CMBSs), AAA corporate bonds and gold - to another party with an agreement to repurchase them at a later date for a higher price

Typically repos are utilised over shorter horizons so when the BoE is telling banks to use longer maturity repos due to a liquidity crisis, it's a solid indication that something has gone badly wrong in the banking system - systemic risk factors

EDIT: Should theoretically be good for gold but spot is basically doing nothing

Edited by HonestMoneyGoldSilver
Gold

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

14 minutes ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

TL:DR version: The BoE wants banks to use long-term repos amid a liquidity drain to ensure that banks have stable, long-term access to funds. This helps manage liquidity risks, stabilise the financial system, and support the BoE's broader monetary policy goals (control interest rates/inflation)

A liquidity drain is much like it sounds. There are less cash and cash-like equivalents in the wider banking system. If a drain turned into a blockage, people could struggle to get their money out of the bank, causing panic and bank runs. Banks could also struggle to lend to businesses, and businesses to other businesses. 

A repo agreement = Repurchase Agreement. They are commonly short-term with the "overnight repo rate" being an often quoted metric. As the name suggests, these are lending agreements with a duration of 24 hours or less. Generally repos are short-term instruments with a maturity in hours/days/weeks

The BoE wants banks to use long-term repos, i.e. longer than weeks (months/years). With repos, one party sells an asset - government securities (Treasuries/Gilts) are the most common followed by MBSs (Mortgage Backed Securities, REITs, sometimes CMBSs), AAA corporate bonds and gold - to another party with an agreement to repurchase them at a later date for a higher price

Typically repos are utilised over shorter horizons so when the BoE is telling banks to use longer maturity repos due to a liquidity crisis, it's a solid indication that something has gone badly wrong in the banking system - systemic risk factors

EDIT: Should theoretically be good for gold but spot is basically doing nothing

What a joke, the financial system is all just smoke and mirrors!

2 minutes ago, VGfine said:

What a joke, the financial system is all just smoke and mirrors!

It has been artificially manipulated in historically unprecedented ways since 2008, with the modern "system" as we know it beginning circa 1999 (GLBA '99/CFMA '00)

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

9 minutes ago, Thelonerangershorse said:

£1855.55

Al least it seems to have stopped dropping.

(Famous last words)

It was £1900oz last Octember when I last looked :(

35 minutes ago, Paul said:

It was £1900oz last Octember when I last looked :(

I think the ATH was around £1955 around March/April

"To get to where I need to be, I start by walking away from where I am."

From the moment you are born, the number of people in the world who are older than you only ever gets smaller.

1 minute ago, Thelonerangershorse said:

I think the ATH was around £1955 around March/April

£2000 very soon, I've no doubt

once it hits $400oz first as Wonga said 

it'll be at £2000oz again before we know it....

then...... to da mooooooooooooon 🚀 🚀 🚀

Don't forget it's COMEX option expiry on Thursday and OTC options expiring on Monday - same drill at the end of every month as these technical market factors take over. Expect prices to stay around big round numbers (in $ terms) - meaning around $2400 on gold and $29 on silver until after then, barring anything dramatic in the world. 

3 hours ago, Bogart said:

I should stop reading this thread as am understanding less and less.

A lot of folk who have been here since the start of the thread have been thinking the same since 2015 😔 

7 hours ago, Bogart said:

I should stop reading this thread as am understanding less and less.

Upgrade to gold membership then go read the NBS,

Trust me, this thread makes perfect sense.

"To get to where I need to be, I start by walking away from where I am."

From the moment you are born, the number of people in the world who are older than you only ever gets smaller.

2 hours ago, Thelonerangershorse said:

Upgrade to gold membership then go read the NBS,

Trust me, this thread makes perfect sense.

The New British Standard thread? I bet that's amazing. Full of intellectuals and burning issues of the day. 

Bank of Canada Cuts Rates For Second Consecutive Month, Says "Reasonable" To Expect More:

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/bank-canada-cuts-rates-second-consecutive-month-says-reasonable-expect-more

Bank of Canada Restarts Overnight Repo Market Liquidity Injection Signaling Financial System Liquidity Issues:

https://jensendavid.substack.com/p/bank-of-canada-restarts-overnight

Edited by Chronos