• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Bimetallic coins

RacerCool

What do you guys think of them? I won't buy any coin that doesn't have either silver or gold in it, and certain bimetallics have silver. Such as these. I think it's something different, and I'm considering collecting these and adding them to the stack.

The large 100 pesos have about 20 grams of sterling in the middle.

bimetallic 1.jpg

bimetallic 2.jpg

bimetallic 10 pesos 1.jpg

bimetallic 10 pesos 2.jpg

You rang? 😉

It all comes down to price and liquidity. How much do they cost? And how liquid do you expect them to be? I expect that they won't be very liquid.

20 grams is approximately 0.64 troy ounces. With silver at $16.47, melt value is $10.59.

Therefore I would look to get these for something like $12.71 each, or less, which is 20 percent over spot. 20 percent over spot allows for the high premiums on small volumes of silver, and the novelty of these coins. I'd need further justification to pay more than 20 percent over spot for these.

9 hours ago, Bimetallic said:

You rang? 😉

It all comes down to price and liquidity. How much do they cost? And how liquid do you expect them to be? I expect that they won't be very liquid.

20 grams is approximately 0.64 troy ounces. With silver at $16.47, melt value is $10.59.

Therefore I would look to get these for something like $12.71 each, or less, which is 20 percent over spot. 20 percent over spot allows for the high premiums on small volumes of silver, and the novelty of these coins. I'd need further justification to pay more than 20 percent over spot for these.

I think of it the same way: I want to pay only a smaller, reasonable amount over spot, especially for silver.  The bummer that I've seen with most Mexican commemorative issue coins is that they tend to go for significantly more than spot.  Even various onzas and libertads, which makes them harder to collect without paying way too much.

With these bimetallics, I'll just keep an eye out for a reasonable price on a full set.  Buying individually is just too expensive when factoring in shipping charges.

Archived