• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The White Lion Cometh!

Serendipity

I’ve chosen to postpone all my gold buys until September when the next Queen’s Beast - the White Lion of Mortimer - comes out. By then I’ll have saved enough not just for the 1/4oz White Lion but also for two 1oz gold coins. 

The dilemma I’m facing are what two 1oz gold coins to buy in September along with the 1/4oz White Lion. I’m even toying with the idea of purchasing a 2oz gold coin. Both Chards and BullionByPost have a 2oz gold Lunar Pig available. 

To complicate matters even further the 1oz Mona Lisa gold proof coin offered by the Paris Mint has also caught my attention despite vowing to steer clear of proof and numismatic coins. One Silver Forum visitor to the Paris Mint described their coins as numismatic which is essentially true. I’ve got to decide what to do before the White Lion Cometh!

A 2 oz gold coin would have such a nice feel to it but as usual you need to think about selling before you think about buying. You are looking at a £2.4k price ticket now - good value gold but when it comes to selling it on the other side it  will likely be more - perhaps a good deal more and it isn't going to be as easy to sell and get best price.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Just now, sixgun said:

A 2 oz gold coin would have such a feel to it but as usual you need to think about selling before you think about buying. We are likely looking at a £2.4k price ticket now - good value gold but when it comes to selling it on the other side it isn't going to be as easy to sell and get best price.

Exactly. Maybe two one ounce Britannias? They seem to have the lowest premium of the one ounce Royal Mint offerings.

1 minute ago, goldmember44 said:

Serendipity, when you talk about getting the 1/4 Queen's Beast, you are talking about the bullion version, right? Or the proof? Assuming both would come out in September...

Oh, yes, I forgot to clarify which 1/4oz Queen’s Beast I’ll be getting in September. The White Lion I’m referring to is the bullion version. All the 1/4oz Queen’s Beasts I’ve collected so far are the bullion versions.

3 minutes ago, Serendipity said:

Oh, yes, I forgot to clarify which 1/4oz Queen’s Beast I’ll be getting in September. The White Lion I’m referring to is the bullion version. All the 1/4oz Queen’s Beasts I’ve collected so far are the bullion versions.

I see, thanks. I wonder which outlet would have the best prices. Or straight from the Mint's bullion site?

18 minutes ago, Midasfrog said:

1/4 oz Queens Beast and a couple of 1oz Beasts all in Bullion would be the way to go 😉

I agree with you that anyone would be crazy to miss out on the magnificent Queen’s Beasts series which ends next year which is why I’ve heavily invested in all the 1/4oz bullion versions. The good news is that I already own two 1oz gold bullion coins - the American gold Buffalo and the Lion of England. I’ve never regretted buying the Lion of England despite its hefty premium.

Although the Queens Beasts appear to have a higher premium than a Britannia , remember that the resale price on a Queens Beast will be higher than the Britannia if sold privately .

If the Gold spot is higher when you come to sell its a win win 

1 minute ago, Midasfrog said:

Although the Queens Beasts appear to have a higher premium than a Britannia , remember that the resale price on a Queens Beast will be higher than the Britannia if sold privately .

If the Gold spot is higher when you come to sell its a win win 

Good point. My thought was that maybe he was thinking something other than Queen's beasts. But I think you're right about resale value.

I've purchased additional 1/4oz queens beast in case the premiums start to rise with the spot price.  Then If I need to I can just buy the cheapest 1oz gold bullion in september and trade an older queens beast for the new one.  Thats the theory anyway.

19 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

I see, thanks. I wonder which outlet would have the best prices. Or straight from the Mint's bullion site?

I’ll be honest with you about that. I get all my Queen’s Beasts direct from the Royal Mint Bullion after one reputable bullion sent me a defective 2018 sovereign which looked like the Queen had grown a beard.

29 minutes ago, Guybrush said:

I've purchased additional 1/4oz queens beast in case the premiums start to rise with the spot price.  Then If I need to I can just buy the cheapest 1oz gold bullion in september and trade an older queens beast for the new one.  Thats the theory anyway.

I think you’re absolutely right. The Royal Mint has finally got its act together with the Queen’s Beasts. The series will probably go down in numismatic history as the last and greatest series in the Queen’s reign. I can’t think of any bullion series which has acquired the same semi-numismatic aura as the Queen’s Beasts.

1 hour ago, goldmember44 said:

I think Atkinsons has been the cheapest, then Royal Mint.  Actually, i've noted fewer dealers selling the 1/4 oz than the 1 oz, so there's not a lot of choice. 

4 hours ago, Serendipity said:

I think you’re absolutely right. The Royal Mint has finally got its act together with the Queen’s Beasts. The series will probably go down in numismatic history as the last and greatest series in the Queen’s reign. I can’t think of any bullion series which has acquired the same semi-numismatic aura as the Queen’s Beasts.

don't u worry about these...……. they will ALWAYS come up with something 

for example 

QUEEN BEAST 2<<<<<<<<

for the first time royal mint offers second series 

for the first time royal mint offers the queen beast underwear 😊

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

2 hours ago, fehk2001 said:

don't u worry about these...……. they will ALWAYS come up with something 

for example 

QUEEN BEAST 2<<<<<<<<

for the first time royal mint offers second series 

for the first time royal mint offers the queen beast underwear 😊

Yes, I can see the funny side of it. The Royal Mint has already started the Queen’s Beasts jewellery range. I can’t see it catching on somehow. Reminds me of those overpriced Batman and Superman money clips that you see in Forbidden Planet.

https://www.royalmint.com/gifts/by-range/queens-beasts-accessories/

10 hours ago, Martlet said:

I think Atkinsons has been the cheapest, then Royal Mint.  Actually, i've noted fewer dealers selling the 1/4 oz than the 1 oz, so there's not a lot of choice. 

You can use FindCoinOnline.com for price reference

25 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

I had a look at this site, it seems to be more geared towards American dealers unfortunately.

yes, there are more US dealers listed than UK, but you can filter by country. Chards, Atkinsons, Bleyer, ABC Bullion, BullionByPost, Bullion for less, BNT Coins are presenter there.

Archived