• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1 gram silver "bars" worth the $$$?

SmoggyPluto

Hello, I am new to collecting precious metals and I have a few questions. First I have located 27 1g silver bars for the price of about $1.50 each. I know the current price of silver is about $15 roughly. Basically I would be paying the price for a little over 2 ounces of silver for same amount of money but only walking away with roughly 1oz.

Why are these little bars so expensive? Is it worth buying them to have smaller amounts to trade and barter with? Are they more of s novelty? Is there a cheaper place to buy them at the cost of weight? I am looking into investing and collecting. Thank you for your time.

20190712_095904.jpg

The cost to manuf a 1g bar is basically the same as it is for a 100g or a 1000g bar.

Whether it is worth it or not, really depends on why you are buying them.  If investing, you probably should avoid these micro weights.  The price of silver will have to make a big move for you to recover those premiums.  If buying them because you like them and want to enjoy them without worrying about selling, it doesn't matter that much.

3 minutes ago, Slowhand said:

The cost to manuf a 1g bar is basically the same as it is for a 100g or a 1000g bar.

Whether it is worth it or not, really depends on why you are buying them.  If investing, you probably should avoid these micro weights.  The price of silver will have to make a big move for you to recover those premiums.  If buying them because you like them and want to enjoy them without worrying about selling, it doesn't matter that much.

I see.  Still learning how things work here, if I did not reply in the proper way i apologize. That's the conclusion I also came up with, just needed that confirmation from someone knowledgeable on this topic. Thank you. 

i think if you are serious about stacking these are not worth bothering with. You might be able to sell them on for a small profit but it would only be pennies. So from a stacking point of view and a trading point of view i don't think they are worth the bother. If they particularly appeal to you that is another matter but don't expect them to be worth more than you paid any time soon.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

7 minutes ago, sixgun said:

i think if you are serious about stacking these are not worth bothering with. You might be able to sell them on for a small profit but it would only be pennies. So from a stacking point of view and a trading point of view i don't think they are worth the bother. If they particularly appeal to you that is another matter but don't expect them to be worth more than you paid any time soon.

Understood. Thank you very much. I am serious about getting into stacking. I will not be investing in these unless I find them at an incredible price for my side collection. 

Unless someone likes them ore maybe as present, they only make sense if you want very small fractional pieces for a SHTF scenario and if you think silver will go up to the moon in such a scenario and thus the small pieces be practical for making daily purchases.

I think that's a very unlikely scenario, even in a reset, but I don't think it's wrong to apply this strategy if you want to be prepared for all eventualities. Even then, I would only ever consider buying a very small fraction of my total silver in this form, though. And certainly, there are better fractional pieces for this purpose, the so called junk silver you have in the US, e.g. dimes, which are also a pretty small fraction of one ounce.

So, actually, they only really make sense a potential presents, to me, for occasions where something of higher value would be inappropriate - or if you like them.

12 minutes ago, silenceissilver said:

Unless someone likes them ore maybe as present, they only make sense if you want very small fractional pieces for a SHTF scenario and if you think silver will go up to the moon in such a scenario and thus the small pieces be practical for making daily purchases.

I think that's a very unlikely scenario, even in a reset, but I don't think it's wrong to apply this strategy if you want to be prepared for all eventualities. Even then, I would only ever consider buying a very small fraction of my total silver in this form, though. And certainly, there are better fractional pieces for this purpose, the so called junk silver you have in the US, e.g. dimes, which are also a pretty small fraction of one ounce.

So, actually, they only really make sense a potential presents, to me, for occasions where something of higher value would be inappropriate - or if you like them.

After more and more research and feedback I understand these to be a novelty. These are not for me. I have a lot to learn about stacking. Thank you!

Living in the US I would encourage you to stick to a minimum weight of 1oz like Eagles and generic rounds or bars - Buffalos etc. You can get great deals on 1oz silver very close to spot. Great for stacking and great for SHTF scenarios (if you’re into that kinda thing).

💷 💷 Check out my Wanted adds and message me direct if you can help 💷 💷 

7 minutes ago, KitboyE17 said:

Living in the US I would encourage you to stick to a minimum weight of 1oz like Eagles and generic rounds or bars - Buffalos etc. You can get great deals on 1oz silver very close to spot. Great for stacking and great for SHTF scenarios (if you’re into that kinda thing).

Other than adding to my personal side collection (making a little treasure chest as a future gift) I will do just this and stick to 1oz bars and rounds. Thanks!

Hi,  I have bought 1 gram bars from a dealer for .70 cents each last year. He dose not have them all the time but if you call him and tell him what you are looking for he will call you when he gets them in. He has shops in Iowa and Neb. Call J & J coins and collectables.  Sioux City, Iowa  If you have trouble finding the number you can call me at 605-381-4625  Jim

Maybe consider the circulated silver (or part silver) coins? Known as “constitutional silver” or “junk” silver in the USA. Not sure what we call them in the UK but so long as the weight of pure silver in each coin is good for the price, it might be better than small bars with bigger premiums.

Wiki has some good info on which ones and years are silver etc

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

In the us Dimes, quarters and halves are reasonably cheap to stack fractional silver. 

In the UK 3pence, sixpence, shillings, florins And half crowns. 50% silver are often available at or just above spot. 

Much better value than these

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

3 minutes ago, MancunianStacker said:

Maybe consider the circulated silver (or part silver) coins? Known as “constitutional silver” or “junk” silver in the USA. Not sure what we call them in the UK but so long as the weight of pure silver in each coin is good for the price, it might be better than small bars with bigger premiums.

Wiki has some good info on which ones and years are silver etc

This is a good idea. I like the Wing liberty dimes aka Mercury dimes as they can be bought not much over melt and will not look like the Roosevelt dimes which are silver to 1964 and clad 1965 and later.

1 hour ago, KitboyE17 said:

Thank you for the input. 

50 minutes ago, blindguy said:

Hi,  I have bought 1 gram bars from a dealer for .70 cents each last year. He dose not have them all the time but if you call him and tell him what you are looking for he will call you when he gets them in. He has shops in Iowa and Neb. Call J & J coins and collectables.  Sioux City, Iowa  If you have trouble finding the number you can call me at 605-381-4625  Jim

Excellent! I do like these for a collection, I will contact them. Thank you.

There is always junk silver for small weight silver coins.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

On 12/07/2019 at 12:29, SmoggyPluto said:

Other than adding to my personal side collection (making a little treasure chest as a future gift) I will do just this and stick to 1oz bars and rounds. Thanks!

you have a side collection? I barely have a collection.

8 minutes ago, 999magnum said:

you have a side collection? I barely have a collection.

every time when I buy a coin I will get at least 2 IF it is one ounce or two ounce ,I will  put one into collection box 

after a while you will have a decent size collection . 

I think I  have gathered around 100 ounce per year , these are  saving from  the  small change 😁

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

You've got great advice already but don't even consider it imvho. You want recognisable and easily tested (specific gravity test etc) coins/rounds for bullion. Silver is cheap enough not to mess around with such silly fractionals at such a premium, ever, unless they are for pure pleasure.

• 3 weeks later...

Since my last post(still not sure if I am doing this right) I have learned a lot using the information you all provided for me. I am stacking some generic rounds and bars as well as ASE's.  There is another question now though!

How about the 1 gram bars of gold? I am looking to diversify my PM stack abit.  Are the 1g bars of gold worth the current price? Just to add maybe 10-20 grams for diversity? Or fractional platinum coins? Your input is very valuable and is much respected. Thank you for your time.

If you are going to stack fractional gold I would recommend 5g bars minimum - lower premium than 5 x 1g bars and still affordable. Also, consider 1/10 gold coins - Pandas, Krugerrands, Maples -  popular for flipping 😎

💷 💷 Check out my Wanted adds and message me direct if you can help 💷 💷 

5 hours ago, KitboyE17 said:

If you are going to stack fractional gold I would recommend 5g bars minimum - lower premium than 5 x 1g bars and still affordable. Also, consider 1/10 gold coins - Pandas, Krugerrands, Maples -  popular for flipping 😎

That sounds like pretty solid advice! What about fractional platinum? Thanks!

Archived