• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

When did silver stacking become a thing?

Pampfan

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately as to why am I stacking silver?

For me - being in the USA- it started with “constitutional silver” - as it was stuff that I was familiar with cause my parents collected some when it was still in circulation - they put it in a jar and threw it in the basement on a shelf - were it sat for many years with out a thought given again by them. (Lucky for me - 😜)

I am sure that others did the same exact thing at the time. But is that when silver stacking began?

When it was used in circulation as money - people of course would save it and collect it because it had a monetary value - just like Dollars and quarters of today. - if we just happen to put away a box of copper pennies in 1981 - is that when stacking copper began- for comparison thinking.

My real question is why is the silver market so big and is being pushed by so many people and dealers when it obviously isn’t a  “rare” precious metal like gold? (No offense to all the silver stackers - but i Just don’t get it!)

(In addition - All this being said - I still find myself buying silver Pamp bars and American silver eagles for my collection.)

What do you think?

1 hour ago, Pampfan said:

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately as to why am I stacking silver?

For me - being in the USA- it started with “constitutional silver” - as it was stuff that I was familiar with cause my parents collected some when it was still in circulation - they put it in a jar and threw it in the basement on a shelf - were it sat for many years with out a thought given again by them. (Lucky for me - 😜)

I am sure that others did the same exact thing at the time. But is that when silver stacking began?

When it was used in circulation as money - people of course would save it and collect it because it had a monetary value - just like Dollars and quarters of today. - if we just happen to put away a box of copper pennies in 1981 - is that when stacking copper began- for comparison thinking.

My real question is why is the silver market so big and is being pushed by so many people and dealers when it obviously isn’t a  “rare” precious metal like gold? (No offense to all the silver stackers - but i Just don’t get it!)

(In addition - All this being said - I still find myself buying silver Pamp bars and American silver eagles for my collection.)

What do you think?

We are starting to do some pieces that are about historical and scientific points of interest, which relate to bullion https://www.bleyerbullion.co.uk/blog :) 

If we do some research into the historical origins of silver stacking, would an article on the subject be interesting for you? 

Bleyer Bullion is the South West's local bullion dealer, serving the whole of the UK by phone and online. Bleyer offers friendly, expert consultancy and welcomes face-to-face appointments with UK customers looking for a more personal service. Please visit us at: www.BleyerBullion.co.uk.

5 minutes ago, Pampfan said:

@BleyerBullion

I think an article on the topic would be great!

I have added it to our list of articles to research for and write :) 

Bleyer Bullion is the South West's local bullion dealer, serving the whole of the UK by phone and online. Bleyer offers friendly, expert consultancy and welcomes face-to-face appointments with UK customers looking for a more personal service. Please visit us at: www.BleyerBullion.co.uk.

2 hours ago, Pampfan said:

Silver is very definitely a rare metal and will become rarer, as the diagram below demonstrates in a funky manner.

image.png.61171b59b91264a4623c1c70d12748fd.png

4 hours ago, JunkBond said:

According to this article, a lot of interest was generated when in the late 1960s, the price of silver was freed from US Treasury control and the silver price doubled.

Art bars came first then these gave way to rounds and coins.

https://www.numismaticnews.net/buzz/belly-up-to-the-silver-art-bar

My guess is that when silver was "demonetized", in other words taken out of circulation and replaced with base metals, people realized that silver was valuable.  Too valuable for the gov'mint to be putting out there in low denominations like 10 cents, etc.

Also, people still understand that silver is money, just like gold is.  (Though I think it's understood today that gold is more a means of storing value, and less an actual currency, I think.) I believe people still think of silver as money.  And hence, here in the US of A, we like to stack the junk silver.  It was money in the past, and might still be used as money again at some point in the future.  So it's a way of keeping our wealth in the form of a precious metal that we can actually afford, which might have a practical use in the future.

I think 2011 changed A LOT of people's perspectives on the possibilities that can be found with holding silver.  Leading up to that point, the early 2000s saw the average price begin to consistently rise, disproportionate to inflation.  It hadn't been since the 80s that we had such a dramatic jump in value, thanks to the infamous Hunt brothers, so the generational gap that ensued left plenty of time for the spotlight to fade away.

Sure, we have plenty of stackers who have been doing it for decades, but imo the majority that we see today came after 2011.

2008 was I think the start of the modern si,very stashing, when people would run around and buy monster boxes of silver, when gold sellers were going to stadiums of gold buyers when gold hit $1000/oz.

Silver was the hiding place of people who had lost trust in the banks and government with their pensions, with the government stealing the people's money every year and banks being bailed out to 100 cents on the dollar trust was at its lowest and the reason behind si,very shooting to the moon, $1800 gold was one thing but compared to $800 was not as much as $10 silver going to almost $50 ... shame the greed of so many horders stopped them selling and now they are selling now at almost the level they bought in at.

I think I am older then a lot of you. I remember when I was 5 or 6 years old my dad going to the bank and bring home rolls of coin just to pull the 1964 and before silver coins out. All the coins impressed me at that age. My dad never paid more than face value for silver coins and he found some nice coins, 1896-s barber quarter is one such coin. When my son was 7 I started him searching rolls of half dollars. He still to this day buys rolls of half dollars to look for silver but like many his age he thinks the only thing to invest in is the stock market.

1 hour ago, blindguy said:

I think I am older then a lot of you. I remember when I was 5 or 6 years old my dad going to the bank and bring home rolls of coin just to pull the 1964 and before silver coins out. All the coins impressed me at that age. My dad never paid more than face value for silver coins and he found some nice coins, 1896-s barber quarter is one such coin. When my son was 7 I started him searching rolls of half dollars. He still to this day buys rolls of half dollars to look for silver but like many his age he thinks the only thing to invest in is the stock market.

I'm not young either and my dad did the same with sixpence when they were considered 2 1/2 pence pieces, my mother still baked them into cakes from tradition..once a 'friend' broke into our house and stole only the silver sixpences, not the old pennies etc, just the silver...that's when I learnt the value of silver...still never started collecting till abut 5 years ago....learnt the value of silver buy the Italian job taught me the value of gold and to not transport it on buses across the alps...lol.

Archived