• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Another fake?

sixgun

i got 2 x 20 Mark coins from HGM last week. i have no experience of these coins but thought it would be nice to get some.

i have not examined them myself - this is photos my brother took. i asked @augur for his opinion as i know he is interested in this era of coin and would know a lot more than me. The first lot of coins were in flips so i asked my brother to take photos out. The coins was as follows.

1906 coin

IMG_5274.JPG

IMG_5272.JPG

Added 0 minutes later...

Now an 1890IMG_5275.thumb.JPG.ad104f982fd09ab7e90b19d53f4f0839.JPG

IMG_5276.JPG

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Side-by-side IMG_5264.thumb.JPG.e4870e8c921fb1ddb7f22e9f17ecf362.JPG

IMG_5265.JPG

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

7 hours ago, Murph said:

What's your problem with them?

ya, they look okay to me (but I'm not an expert) did you buy in eBay, I was watching the same coin I think. I'll check.  
I keep asking the same thing today, did you weighted/measured them. 

There are fakes from these coins which are very easy to detect and there are some which are very hard to detect. They have been made out of the right gold content and size.

Here is a link on german, maybe you guys can translate the website with your browser:

http://goldankaufstelle-bayern.de/topics/20-goldmark-faelschungen-deutsches-kaiserreich-1-goldkrone-20reichsmark.php

Interestingly the coin on @whuamai link uses a 1906 gold double crown (20 Mark) as reference coin for a genuine Prussian gold coin; and this coin also has a wider rim in the obverse...

However:

your 1906 rim isn't flat but convex, there is even a little ledge on the reverse at 12 o'clock

your edge inscription has a too small font, isn't sharply struck and isn't centred but varies from top to the bottom of the edge

Therefore I would conclude that this is not a genuine 20 Mark but a copy. Subject to the correct dimensions it should still have the correct amount of gold and should therefore be worth the spot price you paid. 

Archived