• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

If you could only stack one gold and/or silver coin

31 minutes ago, gustavus said:

Silver: morgan dollars

Gold: mexican 5 pesos

Hey, another forum fan of the 5 peso coin! That's actually the base of my gold stack, and seems to typically be the best bang for the buck.

I almost chose either this coin, or the 2 peso coin as my "only one choice" choice.

4 minutes ago, RacerCool said:

Hey, another forum fan of the 5 peso coin! That's actually the base of my gold stack, and seems to typically be the best bang for the buck.

Actually i dont own any 5 pesos (yet). But have few 2,5 pesos and one 2 pesos.

5 pesos just often seem most smart coin to buy in auctions etc.

• 3 months later...

As a newbie this short survey was useful to me. I counted up the votes to put together a clear ranking:

Gold

1. Sovereigns are the clear winner with 11 votes = 46% (48% if including the one vote for half-sovereign)
  2. Krugerrand and Mexian 5 Pesos each got 2 votes = 8% 
  3. Britannia also got 2 votes, but one is for 1/10oz
  4. 6 others got 1 vote each

Silver

1. Britannia ahead with 3 votes = 16%
  2. ASE, Krugerrand, and Morgan dollar each got 2 votes = 10.5%
  3. Perth Luna also got 2 votes, but one is for "Series II and III 10oz"
  4. 8 others each got 1 vote

On 05/06/2019 at 14:10, goldmember44 said:

For gold, that would have to be sovereigns. For silver... I'm thinking silver krugerrands are a good bet, they have global appeal, unlike ASE which are more American, and Britannia that are more British, etc.

I'm actually trying to do this. Accumulate sovereigns and silver krugerrands. I haven't yet started on the silver krugerrands, no funds available for that yet... still concentrating on getting a fair amount of sovereigns first. 😛

I thought sovereigns are more British than a Britannia myself and a strange amount of gold.

When I watch youtube videos from other countries they mention Britannias and Queens beasts but they don't seem to mention sovereigns.

Sovereigns have excellent premiums for their size better premiums to be had from 1 oz Britannia.

1 minute ago, RoughDog said:

I thought sovereigns are more British than a Britannia myself and a strange amount of gold.

When I watch youtube videos from other countries they mention Britannias and Queens beasts but they don't seem to mention sovereigns.

Sovereigns have excellent premiums for their size better premiums to be had from 1 oz Britannia.

Yes you are right! Here in the UK sovereigns are definitely much more popular and valued than Britannias. Also, sovereigns (esp proof ones) seem to attract and retain good secondary market collector premiums, which makes them very collectible. 

I think it would be beneficial for all sovereign collectors if overseas collectors and investors become more aware of sovereigns than they are at present... especially in America. There is a huge potential market. And modern proof sovereigns have very low mintages.... which could make them highly desirable going forward, should they attract sufficient American and other international attention. The Royal Mint can help this by doing some targeted advertising, I am sure... 

2 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

Yes you are right! Here in the UK sovereigns are definitely much more popular and valued than Britannias. Also, sovereigns (esp proof ones) seem to attract and retain good secondary market collector premiums, which makes them very collectible. 

I think it would be beneficial for all sovereign collectors if overseas collectors and investors become more aware of sovereigns than they are at present... especially in America. There is a huge potential market. And modern proof sovereigns have very low mintages.... which could make them highly desirable going forward, should they attract sufficient American and other international attention. The Royal Mint can help this by doing some targeted advertising, I am sure... 

As far as collectability of sovereigns goes it's seems unfathomable to me.  So many coins and issues and most look a like. 

Modern coins like queens beast and lunars are much easier to differentiate due to their being more distinct due the their very different images. 

The low premium sovereigns are very understandable, cheap gold.

7 minutes ago, RoughDog said:

As far as collectability of sovereigns goes it's seems unfathomable to me.  So many coins and issues and most look a like. 

Modern coins like queens beast and lunars are much easier to differentiate due to their being more distinct due the their very different images. 

The low premium sovereigns are very understandable, cheap gold.

Well, at first glance it might appear so, but in fact sovereign collecting is very rewarding :) When looking at modern proof sovereigns, there have been some years with special designs, for example. And then you have different Queen's portraits on different years, also BU strike-on-the-day releases inbetween. There is more variety than you'd expect :) And as for the older sovereigns, there are literally hundreds of different varieties to be collected. 

On 17/09/2019 at 08:32, AgD said:

I second that rich. Have you thought about Mexican gold ? I've got the set from the 2 to the 50 

Congratulations on the new arrival- fabulous news, best wishes to you and your family.    

Impressive Gold set the 2 to 50 Pesos- fabulous investment.  

I have some Mexican Gold- all weights 1/20th through to the 1onza, Proof 5 coin 2017 Libertad  'set'.  All bought individually from the Forum- the 1/20th, 1/10th and 1/4 all NGC PF70, the 1/2 Onza is a PF69- bought as a 69, but I'm considering sending it back to NGC for conservation and re-grade as it looks fabulous except some detritus on the surface of the coin.  My fingers are crossed as my Onza is in for grading currently.  

On 18/09/2019 at 19:50, richatthecroft said:

Congratulations on the new arrival- fabulous news, best wishes to you and your family.    

Impressive Gold set the 2 to 50 Pesos- fabulous investment.  

I have some Mexican Gold- all weights 1/20th through to the 1onza, Proof 5 coin 2017 Libertad  'set'.  All bought individually from the Forum- the 1/20th, 1/10th and 1/4 all NGC PF70, the 1/2 Onza is a PF69- bought as a 69, but I'm considering sending it back to NGC for conservation and re-grade as it looks fabulous except some detritus on the surface of the coin.  My fingers are crossed as my Onza is in for grading currently.  

Thank you rich.

And I did think to myself after I said that, that I've seen you post a lot of your gold 🤣 a lot going on lol

Archived