• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2014 proof sovereign rare?

blindguy

2 minutes ago, JunkBond said:

Interesting, got my mintage figure from Marsh, which does not include those in sets.

Yep i see the same figure in the Marsh book too... how confusing.

Could just go to the mint and see which one is right...

https://www.royalmint.com/discover/uk-coins/circulation-coin-mintage-figures/2014-dated-uk-commemorative-coin-sales/

Ok... all 3 have different numbers lol 

So Marsh are quoting max mintage figures (although it also states that sets are not included, so they got that wrong). 🙄

@terakris I would be interested to know the mintage figure in Spink for a 1993 proof half sovereign, when you have time. 👍

• 5 months later...
On 22/05/2019 at 19:43, HawkHybrid said:

9725 is maximum mintage possible.

4613 is actual mintage from data.

HH

Yes, this seems to be correct. So, it seems that the 2014 sovereign did not sell out at full capacity, and in actual fact less than 5,000 made it into circulation. This makes it one of the rarest modern proof sovereigns, and it's no surprise that they seem to be so expensive...at times the same dealer charges more for a 2014 than for a 2016, for example. Can't get a boxed 2014 proof for under £600 it seems. 

I'm looking for one myself for my date run. Should hopefully get one within the next few weeks (budget fully spent now).

The NGC graded population for them is also extremely low compared to other years. I suspect their prices will go up more when more collectors become aware of the coin's actual status.

Archived