• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereigns from Heubach Edelmetalle

silenceissilver

I guess chances are low anyone here has, but who knows, I'll give it a shot:

Has anyone bought Sovereigns from Heubach Edelmetalle - maybe even several ones?

If so, what is the quality of their Sovereigns compared to the well known names in the UK?

Are they like Chard's C grade, for example?

I have bought silver from them before but that was straight from the mint so to speak, thus it doesn't tell me anything about their (old) Sovereigns.

https://www.heubach-edelmetalle.de/catalog/europa-goldmunzen-sovereign

As far as I see, Heubach nor anyone else here has quality categories for Sovereigns. So, you can be lucky but don't count on it. 

I buy my Sovereigns from a bank where I can actually see and check them, and where I can select minting years. They are more expensive than Heubach, though. 

Thus, I have never bought from Heubach. 

20 hours ago, xthomasx said:

At BW-Bank in Stuttgart, Germany. 

I go to Stuttgart 3-4 times a year. I didn't know you could buy PM's in/at/from a bank!

They have a special PM department. They are a 3 min walk from the world famous central train station (or the ruin of, or the construction site of...). 

There are more banks here selling simple PM, such as Krugers, Lunars, Philharmoniker, Maples etc. but that BW-Bank branch has an outright numismatic department. 

Seems like a beautiful excuse to visit Stuttgart. Some culture, time away from London, and importantly, a bit of cheeky coin shopping!

"Darling, I have decided to take you away for a weekend trip! How does Germany sound - something different, no? What about Stuttgart? I have always wanted to go..........'

Cheers!!

Andrew

15 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Seems like a beautiful excuse to visit Stuttgart. Some culture, time away from London, and importantly, a bit of cheeky coin shopping!

"Darling, I have decided to take you away for a weekend trip! How does Germany sound - something different, no? What about Stuttgart? I have always wanted to go..........'

Cheers!!

Andrew

Banks here are always closed on weekends, so you'd need to add Friday or Monday to your trip... 

On 14/05/2019 at 07:30, xthomasx said:

I buy my Sovereigns from a bank where I can actually see and check them, and where I can select minting years. They are more expensive than Heubach, though.

There are a lot of PM dealers in Stuttgart. Is there any particular reason you buy from a bank rather than from any of them?

https://www.gold.de/haendler/in/stuttgart/

Seen YT videos where German dealers recommend not to buy from banks as they are more expensive. Of course you could argue that's just the opinion of the competitors. But you can also see the coins at these dealers, before you buy them. Have you tried any of them, too? I really like how many dealers there are in Germany where you can buy physically rather than online. I wish it was like that in the UK. I think I have seen also another map with many more physical dealers than shown in this one, also only serious dealers, thus not including let's say pawn shops. I think in this map below you can only see the head quarters and some of them have several branches accross Germany.

https://www.gold.de/haendler/

You need to click on "Karte" on the right, to see the map.

Also, it shows only two for Vienna -  when I was there for holidays not too long ago, I found about 10 that made a serious impression, at least online, and the 2 I was at turned out to be serious dealers indeed, when I bought coins there.

I wish there was such an abundance of physical shops in the UK. I guess German private housholds buy more gold because of the several hyperinflations and new currencies Germany went through in the 20th century.

Edit: Also, could it be that Germans buy less PMs online, in comparison to Britons?

On 15/05/2019 at 14:30, silenceissilver said:

There are a lot of PM dealers in Stuttgart. Is there any particular reason you buy from a bank rather than from any of them?

https://www.gold.de/haendler/in/stuttgart/

Seen YT videos where German dealers recommend not to buy from banks as they are more expensive. Of course you could argue that's just the opinion of the competitors. But you can also see the coins at these dealers, before you buy them. Have you tried any of them, too? I really like how many dealers there are in Germany where you can buy physically rather than online. I wish it was like that in the UK.

The assumption that the above-mentioned bank is more expensive than PM shops is certainly correct for bars and many of the better-known bullion coins. Actually, I haven't bought from any of the Stuttgart locations in about a year - RM proofs of Sovereign and Beasts took much of my money. Before that, the bank was the best choice for sovs. in terms of supply and service. Before I go for my next goal (completing Edward VII, except Canada) I'll definitely shop around a bit. 

Archived