• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

A friend found this in his garden

Curious1

If that was dropped by a gold bug - then I would get a metal detector FIRST - you can hire them cheaper and a bit more discreet - will also allow you to scan the building itself, especially if they stashed away other stuff in the walls, bricks or flooring - eve the attic sometimes. I have heard of weird places stuff like this was found. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

If that was dropped by a gold bug - then I would get a metal detector FIRST - you can hire them cheaper and a bit more discreet - will also allow you to scan the building itself, especially if they stashed away other stuff in the walls, bricks or flooring - eve the attic sometimes. I have heard of weird places stuff like this was found. 

He has a cheap one, that’s how this whole thing started. But he thinks it’s not good enough for gold. It’s going nuts all over his garden. There’s a lot of buried iron and copper too. He decided to investigate that one spot because nothing was growing there, not even weeds

9 minutes ago, Cornishfarmer said:

Don’t advise the fact  too much, if it’s found to be stollen or same can prove it’s theirs you may wave good bye to 18000€ +

if I was him I’d sell on the quiet may be a €1k down but it will be in the bank

Yeah I think he will end up selling it for spot price. He can really use the money so he’s looking to sell fast.

I contacted rarebullion.com to see what they have to say. They’re also from Belgium so they might know more about the history or even the stamp. It’s still possible PCB lied about the age and it is in fact WW2 gold

6 minutes ago, Curious1 said:

He has a cheap one, that’s how this whole thing started. But he thinks it’s not good enough for gold. It’s going nuts all over his garden. There’s a lot of buried iron and copper too. He decided to investigate that one spot because nothing was growing there, not even weeds

Iron and copper? Now I WANT to dig up his garden. Sounds like interesting. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

11 minutes ago, kimchi said:

The far more lucrative and lazy man's option would have been to sell the garden I reckon :ph34r:

His kids and dog would not be happy 😃 Besides, how to prove you actually dug it up there. Anyone can dig a hole in his garden and claim they found gold...

If you want to make an offer I can get you in touch though 😏

1 minute ago, Curious1 said:

His kids and dog would not be happy 😃

He could have sold temporary digging rights for a decent amount, plus I'll bet his kids aren't too happy at the moment judging by the state of that, his dog might be though! And what is his missus going to say once he starts taking the house apart brick by brick and then excavating the foundations (as he'll have to)?

7 minutes ago, Curious1 said:

If you want to make an offer I can get you in touch though 😏

I think it's a bit late for that for the garden but if he has a cellar I might be tempted to put an offer in 🤣

All well-meant jokes :) Brilliant thread, love it, keep us posted please and good luck to your friend!!!

1 minute ago, kimchi said:

And what is his missus going to say once he starts taking the house apart brick by brick and then excavating the foundations (as he'll have to)

Oh she’s the one who’s been calling around  all day for digging machines. Don’t forget what gold does to women 🤣

20 hours ago, Curious1 said:

He's a bit paranoid about taking it anywhere 😛

He's seeing a chimney too, I see a 'C' & a 'B', not sure about the first character though. 

I lol'd way too hard at this 😂 He has a metal detector but that thing goes nuts in all of his garden because there's a lot of buried junk. One spot was special though, grass or weeds were not growing so he decided to investigate. He found some rocks and debris and the gold bar was in there. He's been digging all day after that, you should see the 'garden' 😂

21 hours ago, Curious1 said:

Can anyone tell me more about the stamp/origin? 

2152CC0D-91F9-4DE2-8EC3-853E833CBC9C.thumb.jpeg.3541632b2b197a973c9af0e5fbf1b03e.jpeg

9474ABFD-E85A-463D-8704-8577FB41165F.jpeg

66280397-4F35-452D-AF03-A56B5A583D79.jpeg

172D43C8-F0BC-41A2-96E2-3CE81C69AF9C.jpeg

Get a magnet, a rare earth magnet....then you can check density ... a metal detector would give you the numbers you need to see if it's in the ag range...but the best way is a coin shop, they have the bees knees in checking...one of mine got a dude in with a treasure ingot which was gold and as long as your forearm and barely able to lift.

It would be worth investing in an XP Deus metal detector for about £650 don't worry about a fancy controller . Also hire a mini digger to take the soil level down 6" at a time checking with the detector at each stage and don't forget to recheck the spoil heap :) 

On 12/05/2019 at 21:08, Curious1 said:

Can anyone tell me more about the stamp/origin? 

2152CC0D-91F9-4DE2-8EC3-853E833CBC9C.thumb.jpeg.3541632b2b197a973c9af0e5fbf1b03e.jpeg

9474ABFD-E85A-463D-8704-8577FB41165F.jpeg

66280397-4F35-452D-AF03-A56B5A583D79.jpeg

172D43C8-F0BC-41A2-96E2-3CE81C69AF9C.jpeg

Hopefully for your friend it is real, but to me it looks a little fake, though could just be the camera used and my computer colour resolutions etc. Certainly get it XRF tested.

I bet your friend's garden looks like an archaeology site now!

18 minutes ago, RichRock said:

Hopefully for your friend it is real, but to me it looks a little fake, though could just be the camera used and my computer colour resolutions etc. Certainly get it XRF tested.

I bet your friend's garden looks like an archaeology site now!

i believe it was taken to a pawn or jewellery shop and an offer was made, they would have checked its authenticity first

2 minutes ago, DaveWheat89 said:

i believe it was taken to a pawn or jewellery shop and an offer was made, they would have checked its authenticity first

Excellent! Sorry but for some reason I didn't see the 2nd two pages of the thread before posting, but looking at the pics I can see that yes, his garden does resemble an archaeological dig now!

I bet metal detector sales have increased in that area in the last few days!

A lot of animal bodies?  Now that’s a little worrying.  Was the owner attacking and killing animals?  Sacrificing them and the gold?  Is it a witches cauldron or a pot that he’s dug up?

It’s all very strange.  Sounds like someone is setting up a found footage horror film background story!

19 minutes ago, Murph said:

A lot of animal bodies?  Now that’s a little worrying.  Was the owner attacking and killing animals?  Sacrificing them and the gold?  Is it a witches cauldron or a pot that he’s dug up?

It’s all very strange.  Sounds like someone is setting up a found footage horror film background story!

Probably pets over the years mate. A lot of people bury them in the Garden. 

Archived