• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

If money was no object, how would you sort your stack?

bluemoon

I've been stacking for years (mostly silver AKA gold in waiting) but getting the order right for the long term will no doubt have different opinions. This is how I would do it, you may agree or you may not, the purpose of this thread is to bounce opinions and ideas around:

• 35% Sovereigns - liquid if you want some fiat to hand, treat it a bit like a saver's account
  • 35% 1oz coins or coin sets - still liquid if needed, but stands as a savings stack more akin to an ISA that you leave for years before even thinking of selling them.
  • 30% bullion bars of 100g-1KG+ - These form your untouchable pension pot or property stack that you only liquidate if you need it to buy a house  or some other major life investment.

If I could start again with hindsight I would try to get a stack looking like that along with more platinum and palladium amongst it. I already have more silver than is optimal, just waiting for the right time to switch them to the higher metals.

1 hour ago, UKStacker said:

I'd buy the lowest premium available. So likely end up with a shed load of sovs.

Would mix in some PGMs as the markets dictated.

I'd be the opposite. If I had the money I wouldnt buy low premium, I'd buy the best coins money could buy. ie condition, rarity etc.

The only lowish preminum coins I'd buy would be tubes full of Sovereigns. I'd get bored of only having one type of coin.

I think I would have 25% in the lowest premium bullion sovereigns I could find.  As you say, easily to liquidate in units of £200 (ish).

I probably would have 50% in 1 oz gold bullion coins.  As I'm in the UK, these would be Britannias, Queen's Beasts and any other UK coins that took my fancy.  I'd buy them when they were newly or currently released and hope for (but not bank on) some premium appreciation as per the early Queen's Beasts so far.

The remaining 25% would go into the paper market, especially if I wanted to diversify into Silver and Platinum.  I'd currently go something like 60/40 Platinum to Silver for this proportion of the stack.

This is what I'd stack:

- a few dozen tubes of Mexican 50 pesos coins

- a few hundred tubes each of pre-1933 US double Eagles, Eagles, half Eagles, Indian head quarter Eagles, 5 pesos coins, and 2 pesos coins.

- a few hundred tubes of 1/10 ounce newer gold Eagles.

- thousands of tubes of US 90% silver, in halves, quarters, and dimes, and at least a hundred tubes of Morgan dollars.

- a room full of 400 oz silver bars, with a sizeable pile of gold 400 oz bars.

Then my very nice and roomy house would have a lot of fine art, and a wonderful kitchen.

Archived