• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

an asset with no maintenence costs

craig12

I now look on silver a little different , I went to the building society the other day for my 1% interest and thought , now what , that's rubbish, I know ill buy a property as an investment, or I could buy a place in spain , or I can get another classic car , which ever way you look at it theres a cost to maintain these investments , council tax , rates , elec , gas, service charge, ground rent, car tax , car insurance,  etc etc, , now looking at silver what are the maintenance costs 

zero , nothing yes it might not have performed well but you buy it store it forget about it , yes it can go down , but so can proprety and classic cars and Spanish property, im sticking with precious metals , £1000 spent requires no ongoing costs , and if I can secure for under £15.50 per oz cost average im well happy 

Sometimes i feel like putting money into precious metals is such a straight forward and dilligent thing to do, but when asking for peoples opinions they'll shrug their shoulders and tell you about the new Jag they're paying 500/600 a month for on a 28k wage. Blows my mind man.

It is so true, physical PM are simple and you really can't loose majority of your capital in it in current economy (except theft). People loose on PM in short term when try to speculate on them or buy paper which occurs worthless at some point. Never than less I love PM for that simplicity and their ability of store of value. That helps me to wait trough periods of uncertainty. 

48 minutes ago, craig12 said:

I now look on silver a little different , I went to the building society the other day for my 1% interest and thought , now what , that's rubbish, I know ill buy a property as an investment, or I could buy a place in spain , or I can get another classic car , which ever way you look at it theres a cost to maintain these investments , council tax , rates , elec , gas, service charge, ground rent, car tax , car insurance,  etc etc, , now looking at silver what are the maintenance costs 

zero , nothing yes it might not have performed well but you buy it store it forget about it , yes it can go down , but so can proprety and classic cars and Spanish property, im sticking with precious metals , £1000 spent requires no ongoing costs , and if I can secure for under £15.50 per oz cost average im well happy 

holding physical gold is better

HH

PMs tend to under perform other asset classes though. Sure it has a place in one's portfolio but some well chosen investment funds, some government bonds etc will all tend to see you much better than whatever counts as an interest rate in a bank account

3 hours ago, PansPurse said:

PMs tend to under perform other asset classes though.

gold-price-has-crushed-the-market-so-far-this-century.png.70cf9199a03c81d7e6723891b7bbb28d.png

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

23 minutes ago, sixgun said:

gold-price-has-crushed-the-market-so-far-this-century.png.70cf9199a03c81d7e6723891b7bbb28d.png

slightly biased considering:

1. year 2000 was close to a multi decade low for gold.

2. year 2000 was a multi year high for stocks.

(it's the odds of gold out performing stocks in the investment

time frame looking forward that counts. history is just a guide.

current data suggests that gold is likely to outperform stocks

over the next 10 years.)

HH

@HawkHybrid The comparison is what it is but agreed the stock market was in bubble territory in 2000 and the gold price had been thoroughly trashed. So with gold coming off bargain basement prlces and stock prices at dizzy heights you might expect gold to beat stocks.

We are now in a repeat of bubble territory prices for stocks with gold being lack luster since the peaks of 2011. i see this as a repeat 2000 scenario, so it would not be unreasonable to see the next 10 year performance chart produce a similar picture.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

The market is up again, the interest on bank accounts is pointless, bond payments are a joke, MUNI's are not great and not as iron clad as they used to be, silver pays nothing as does gold but the best part is they offer security to their owners, the French used to buy nuggets and stick them under the floor boards...not in enough weights to buy another house or even car but enough to give themselves a sense of security, a bit like a gun (and some people buy them by the dozen) for that very reason, like nuclear bunkers...for that a $15 oz coin is worth it for its public confidence.

As for maintainance , you need a safe or safe deposit box, both cost money, you may need a gun which is also not legally free, nothing is free...if it was somebody would be working on a way to change that.

4 minutes ago, Bdean316 said:

My portfolio is made up of:

20% hard assets (physical gold silver diamonds)

20% REIT fund for income / small growth

40% global equity income fund

20% global sovereign debt fund

Its a nice balance for me between income and risk

20% hard assets seems a little high, I wouldn't cross 15%...that way metals are not dragging down a growing market.

5 minutes ago, DarkChameleon said:

you need a safe or safe deposit box

Everyone circumstances different I already have a safety deposit box so adding gold bullion to it was at no extra cost. When it comes to PMs I am still on fence that is why I have a fixed amount of Gold/Silver that I will purchase when the right set circumstances and opportunities present themselves (i.e. the price of the metal and into a series that has potential to increase in premium and protect any significant adverse movement in PM price). The fixed amount will act as both insurance policy and portfolio diversification.

30 minutes ago, Bdean316 said:

Just in the current climate where we’re due the end of the current economic cycle - splitting the 20% out I have 10% gold 5% silver 5% diamonds 

I know some follow the rule that when times are good buy pms and when times are bad buy shares....sell greed and buy fear but I think the percentages should swing from 10% to 15% depending on the market...15% right now seems to be good for a market run over its time to fall as 2010 would be a time running late to drop down your ownership of commodities and buy into the market.

Archived