• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Selling silver gold etc. regrets on purchases? Portfolio of stacking?

Selling stack

So for those of you who have sold part or all of your stack what were your major regrets or changes you would have done to your stack?

like for me I’m in the USA seems like you get a good size premium if you sell American silver eagles (ASE) here so would it make sense to stack mainly that

how about mainly generic so you kind of buy low sell low premiums?

whay are your major regrets of how you stacked or how you’d change the majority? Would you have stacked more gold? More silver?

50:50 or keep to the ratios like 85 silver to 1 gold as it is now?

any major regrets when you did have to sell?

Would u have stacke more bars since they’re lowere premium?

like do you get minimal premiums on things like kookaburras or other collector coins etc?

In Europe things are quite different, bars and rounds are usually more expensive due to VAT. My silver stack is broken in pure bullion, junk and some premium. The last one as an alternative of spot price not increasing much in the next years. 

As for gold my target is 100:1 but I am behind, as I think that silver is more undervalued at the present. 

Instagram: gildeon_67

9 hours ago, intelinside said:

So for those of you who have sold part or all of your stack what were your major regrets or changes you would have done to your stack?

like for me I’m in the USA seems like you get a good size premium if you sell American silver eagles (ASE) here so would it make sense to stack mainly that

For me (also in the USA) ASEs were the very first silver I purchased, but I've now switched primarily to Queen's Beasts.  You can buy the new issue bullion at a lower per oz premium than an ASE, and there is potential for premium increase.  In my opinion the downside is the same between these two choices (spot price of silver), but a series such as the Queen's Beasts have the potential for upside beyond the price of the metal as a premium develops.  Of course there won't always be Queen's Beasts, but the concept is the same with other bullion silver and gold.  I've sold some of both on eBay and back to a dealer, and even though they won't give you anywhere near the the enormous premium they now sell older versions of these coins, silver was a few dollars higher when I bought them, and when you buy the new issues in the $15 to $20 range, and even dealers are paying $45, you can see the appeal relative to generic bullion.  

When I sold griffins and lions recently, I rolled the proceeds into new issue Yales and Falcons.  I'm happy with the silver sales, but I do actually have fairly substantial regrets about selling some of the gold griffins.  I think I got attached to them as I really do enjoy the designs, and this is a downside of buying any kind of non-generics.  You can end up making irrational and non-economic decisions more easily 🙂

...and as a counter-example to my post above, I sold some of the Landmarks series bullion and the dealer paid spot+5 cents (they sell them for spot plus $8).  I certainly don't want to create the impression the all series will work out the way the Queen's Beasts have.  My point was that if I could "re-start" my buying, I would focus on bullion that has a chance to development a premium at some point in the future, as long as they can be purchased inexpensively at the outset.

3 hours ago, Lr103 said:

I think I got attached to them as I really do enjoy the designs, and this is a downside of buying any kind of non-generics.  You can end up making irrational and non-economic decisions more easily 

That's why it's a good idea to collect a few things at the same time, to satisfy this side of yourself as well. And knowing that you may take a loss in some of them. 

Instagram: gildeon_67

I try to buy as low premium as I can but I like pandas so I get one of them in 30g Silver each year. Satisfied the collection side of things for me. 

I do have an interest in Francs of different nationalities and Pamp silver bars but not enough to want to collect them as such, just snap them up when the price is right if I don't have the money allocated for something else. 

My only regret really is not joining this forum sooner as I could have picked up the 1oz silver coins and bars in my early days a fair bit cheaper than off ebay and some bullion websites. 

Archived