• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

A quandary:

TonyS

The bullion I buy is for my son and he knows it’s for the long run. I’m now looking at buying Sovereigns but he knows I can get 10oz plus of silver for less than a ¼oz full Sovereign. See where the problem lies? He likes chunky silver and I know he’ll sit on it for ten plus years, I like………….

Personally I would stick with trying to mix it up with both gold and silver, fair enough you are going to feel silly if silver does outperform gold in the years to come but you are also going to feel pig sick if it's gold that completely outperforms silver, gold is after all what all the banks and new silk road countries seem to be bulking up on so it would look to be a sensible move to do likewise.

20 minutes ago, TonyS said:

but he knows I can get 10oz plus of silver for less than a ¼oz full Sovereign.

it's not about what looks cheap, it's about what

best fits your purpose. gold is completely

different from silver. they are not interchangeable.

20 minutes ago, TonyS said:

he’ll sit on it for ten plus years,

and then what?

will he sell it?

will he time his sales to make it worthwhile

choosing silver over gold? does he know that

he has to time his sales in silver accurately?

(silver is far from a no brainer choice)

(one of the best things you can offer to your

children is knowledge and guidance to help

them deal with this ever changing world)

HH 

24 minutes ago, TonyS said:

The bullion I buy is for my son and he knows it’s for the long run. I’m now looking at buying Sovereigns but he knows I can get 10oz plus of silver for less than a ¼oz full Sovereign. See where the problem lies? He likes chunky silver and I know he’ll sit on it for ten plus years, I like………….

My kids will end up with my collection but they don't get a say in what I get and how much...unless they want to start chipping in...I know there's a big chance that my kids or grandkids will sell the lot, buy some car that becomes worthless inside ten years but unless I put everything into a foundation I can't stop that...maybe I'll leave in my will that it all has to be liquidated then the money put into a college fund for whichever kid hasn't been yet.

Well i think it is important to get your son to get involved. How old is he?
If he were involved he will potentially develop an interest and knowledge of money, currency and investment. This will help him throughout life. There are arguments for both gold and silver and as pointed out they are very different creatures.

There is certainly a draw with silver when you can get so much more of it. i don't have that issue so much now as i think i have enough silver. When you reach that stage you realise silver creates problems of storage and moving the stuff. It can sit in boxes and you never see it from one month or year to the next.

You could have 500 sovereigns in trays - you could look at all of them and would have say £125k in coins  a decent sum. You could look through all of your collection and have a decent amount of value. Silver in tubes and boxes and wrapped up - no chance of that.

As i have said elsewhere today, silver has been a bad investment for many of the forum - there are relatively high premiums, there is VAT, there are issues of tarnishing and milk spot whilst gold is gold. i have seen sovereigns dug up by metal detector enthusiasts which look like new. If you buy sovereigns around the lower end of the price range you are more likely to get your money back in the short term. As i have said my silver stack does not get sold - it sits there waiting for the reset - it might be 5 years, 10 years, 15 years - i don't believe it will be as long as 10 years but i don't know. For some of my silver stack i am locked in at this time without making a small loss. i don't think any of my gold is so affected - i think i am in profit with gold. That very fact colours your thinking on future buys.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

47 minutes ago, sixgun said:

Well i think it is important to get your son to get involved. How old is he?
If he were involved he will potentially develop an interest and knowledge of money, currency and investment. This will help him throughout life. There are arguments for both gold and silver and as pointed out they are very different creatures.

There is certainly a draw with silver when you can get so much more of it. i don't have that issue so much now as i think i have enough silver. When you reach that stage you realise silver creates problems of storage and moving the stuff. It can sit in boxes and you never see it from one month or year to the next.

You could have 500 sovereigns in trays - you could look at all of them and would have say £125k in coins  a decent sum. You could look through all of your collection and have a decent amount of value. Silver in tubes and boxes and wrapped up - no chance of that.

As i have said elsewhere today, silver has been a bad investment for many of the forum - there are relatively high premiums, there is VAT, there are issues of tarnishing and milk spot whilst gold is gold. i have seen sovereigns dug up by metal detector enthusiasts which look like new. If you buy sovereigns around the lower end of the price range you are more likely to get your money back in the short term. As i have said my silver stack does not get sold - it sits there waiting for the reset - it might be 5 years, 10 years, 15 years - i don't believe it will be as long as 10 years but i don't know. For some of my silver stack i am locked in at this time without making a small loss. i don't think any of my gold is so affected - i think i am in profit with gold. That very fact colours your thinking on future buys.

When I see the super stacks of people on you tube I stop thinking it's a great achievement and more about the fact they have whole trunks full of silver in their basement behind false walls that will never see the light of day again perhaps until their inheritor breaks through and stands in awe...one reason I have a few sovs in a velvet bag to play with while everything else is sdb'd and I have a few silvrr coins on my side board to admire instead of a solid silver couch to sit on..lol.

4 minutes ago, DarkChameleon said:

When I see the super stacks of people on you tube I stop thinking it's a great achievement and more about the fact they have whole trunks full of silver in their basement behind false walls that will never see the light of day again perhaps until their inheritor breaks through and stands in awe...one reason I have a few sovs in a velvet bag to play with while everything else is sdb'd and I have a few silvrr coins on my side board to admire instead of a solid silver couch to sit on..lol.

Yes - when you have multiples of your body weight there are issues. There are stories of people who have to run and sewed gold coins into coats. You can put quite a few $1000 worth of sovereigns in a purse and they pass as pennies. i have had $1000's of gold in a purse - (completely unnoticed) and at the same time been questioned about a couple of bars of silver.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

4 minutes ago, sixgun said:

Yes - when you have multiples of your body weight there are issues. There are stories of people who have to run and sewed gold coins into coats. You can put quite a few $1000 dollars of sovereigns in a purse and they could pass as pennies. i have had $1000's of gold in a purse and been questioned about a couple of bars of silver.

When it becomes trunks it's time to dig a whole in your basement and bury them then concrete over it...then your friends think your a serial killer...lol....and your stash becomes the thing of legend...I don't fancy reaching a point of buying a 45 gallon drum of generics under my bird bath...it just sounds so damn hoacky...lol.

Carl is 36. The monetary value doesn’t bother him, it’s the athetics he likes. He has a good job, a house with no mortgage, no children. Life is good for him, so the silver/gold argument is a bit of a non starter.

We’ve spoken about having a table made with silver embedded under glass. Something like a Valiant flanked by Britannia bars surrounded by Beasts, Maples and Britannia’s. How practical it would be, I don’t know but he likes the idea.

2 minutes ago, TonyS said:

Carl is 36. The monetary value doesn’t bother him, it’s the athetics he likes. He has a good job, a house with no mortgage, no children. Life is good for him, so the silver/gold argument is a bit of a non starter.

We’ve spoken about having a table made with silver embedded under glass. Something like a Valiant flanked by Britannia bars surrounded by Beasts, Maples and Britannia’s. How practical it would be, I don’t know but he likes the idea.

When BYB brought out his 'jig saw' of bars which fit in a wooden frame. At some point if my means allowed I have thought such a table with a glass top - i think it would look great.

8 minutes ago, sixgun said:

When BYB brought out his 'jig saw' of bars which fit in a wooden frame. At some point if my means allowed I have thought such a table with a glass top - i think it would look great.

Would be nice if a mint brought out a 9 or 10 coin set that was a jigsaw puzzle.

3 hours ago, sixgun said:

I’ll have to do an engineering drawing so I have an idea just what coins and bars I need. Obviously there will be blank holes for when the last of the beasts are issued. A rough guess would be about 180oz of silver. 30oz for the Valiant and Britannia bars, 40oz for two sets of beasts. The Maples will be a mish-mash of three types and there in lies a problem as I have to work out the depth of 1oz and 1½oz coins. At least the Britannia’s will only need a standard depth.

The worrying bit is any reaction between wood and silver. Gold I’m keeping out of this.

Buy a kg coin a year to get silver fix and rest gold.     I started with silver.  But when you have ten tubes you realise the weight that will accumulate.     Then look into one tube and realise they have started to milk spot, wiping the premium that you have paid off. Making a tube worth £60 odd less than paid for it.

Archived