• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

At what point do you stop buying?

ilovesilverireallydo

I usually stop at £1000 an ounce. Is it soon going to be time to wait and see? The highest I believe it’s been around the £1150 an ounce mark or $1800.

i am glad I stopped the last time it went that high, though annoyed I didn’t have funds when it dipped to the £750 mark a few years later, and only had founds around the time it hit £920 when I started buying. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

Not so much determined by price, I have reached my core stack target so now only purchase the odd piece now and again. That said, if the price dropped significantly I may be tempted to increase the quantity. Like a few folks, I have been getting the odd platinum piece, it appears to be a reasonable punt at the moment.

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

@ilovesilverireallydo same here I would stop buying gold when over £1,000 oz and it is the reason not pulled trigger 1 oz Gold Yales. @KDave same boat I cannot stop until the beasts finished because made them the foundation of my stack in gold/silver.

When comes to Silver don't think I will completely stop always be unique and interesting designs in the future. Also need to understand a lot of collectors/stackers purchased Gold at much higher prices in the past and at some point in the future they will get back to break even. Technical analysis perspective see bull market developing in Gold or central banks unable to contain inflation then I would be purchasing gold at much higher prices.

8 hours ago, Stu said:

Not so much determined by price, I have reached my core stack target so now only purchase the odd piece now and again. That said, if the price dropped significantly I may be tempted to increase the quantity. Like a few folks, I have been getting the odd platinum piece, it appears to be a reasonable punt at the moment.

Wise on the platinum, it's the obvious choice now palladium is almost twice the price for the same industrial uses.

Stop buying when you need the fiat.

Stop buying when there is something better to buy and then consider selling.

If fiat is going down the sh1tter then the price of gold in fiat will rise. The reason the price is rising is b/c fiat is doing what it does and tending to zero. So this would be even more reason to swap out of fiat and into real money.

The real question is not 'a price' but value. You would stop when gold became overvalued - but you have to decide how you would  decide on the value of gold - i might say the last thing to measure the value of gold against is fiat paper. You might decide it is a basket of items you need or think you need to live. If you only need 10g of gold to buy this basket where 6 months before you needed 20g, perhaps gold is becoming over valued. On the other hand many here believe gold is undervalued so such a situation might reflect a move to fair value or fairer value. To sell out could be premature.

Seriously i think this is something members should think about - there will come a time when it is in your best interests to swap out at least some of your gold and silver for something else, so you should have it in your mind how you are going to come to that decision in a logical and calculated way.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

3 minutes ago, sixgun said:

Seriously i think this is something members should think about - there will come a time when it is in your best interests to swap out at least some of your gold and silver for something else, so you should have it in your mind how you are going to come to that decision in a logical and calculated way.

Thats what I really consider on most days. Realistically most my stack is made up of retirement savings - I just dont want to hold fiat for that, and not in high risk investments. So the goal is to buy as much as possible, but at the lowest present cost, hoping for a higher 10-20 year average. At over £1000 an ounce, I feel its the highest area its been in my lifetime, and having seen sub £800 an ounce very recently after an initial £1100 an oz, I much rather average the buying such that I leave funds for higher dip buying.  

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

4 minutes ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

Thats what I really consider on most days. Realistically most my stack is made up of retirement savings - I just dont want to hold fiat for that, and not in high risk investments. So the goal is to buy as much as possible, but at the lowest present cost, hoping for a higher 10-20 year average. At over £1000 an ounce, I feel its the highest area its been in my lifetime, and having seen sub £800 an ounce very recently after an initial £1100 an oz, I much rather average the buying such that I leave funds for higher dip buying.  

Right now platinum is the best buy I'd say, it's dropped off a cliff and been replaced by palladium but they are cousins and each one can be used for almost the same industrial uses and palladium price has risen as investors and manufacturers bought futures to keep their prices relatively stable, one reason palladium was almost unheard of for ages...but now it's almost double platinum and so the circle will reversewhen the futures come time to renew, gold has hit its high of $1700 and fallen back but not a long way historically, silver has dropped two thirds but still nowhere near its $5/oz days...there would have to be a high demand for silver for it torisesubstancially and I think there are a lot of stacks to be shaken out from those heady days of 08 and 09 and the hording of monstrous boxes ... I'd look to see if there was a glut of 07, 08 and 09 coins hitting the market by dealer or private sales to fj d that base of silver investment which would scream horder sell off and drive the prices to the floor....those peopLe are going to be hitting retirement soon..it tends to be the 50 somethings who worry about the future to that level of buying...buy in moderation, don't cross 1000 and keep your ratios in tow..if you want to go into one metal keep it platinum and not to much, there might be a year or so before paladin falls off the mountain top.

very interesting question. I always set myself limits...for example I don't want to buy when gold is over 36 EUR/Gramm , 1120 EUR/ounce, which equals to about 955 Pounds...

But I always see nice coins and continue buying...

24 minutes ago, whuamai said:

very interesting question. I always set myself limits...for example I don't want to buy when gold is over 36 EUR/Gramm , 1120 EUR/ounce, which equals to about 955 Pounds...

But I always see nice coins and continue buying...

To be honest if I was in Germany or Belgium I would be broke constantly. The shops there seem to have such an amazing variety of old gold coins reasonably priced

yea we got quite a competition which brings us good prices ;) But I also order alot from other EU countries. 

For example all the replies in the LMU thread  about 20 Francs angels various years....people wanting them... I can get loads of them for 3-4 Euros over spot....

15 minutes ago, whuamai said:

yea we got quite a competition which brings us good prices ;) But I also order alot from other EU countries. 

For example all the replies in the LMU thread  about 20 Francs angels various years....people wanting them... I can get loads of them for 3-4 Euros over spot....

If you accepted ppff I would be ordering a lot each month off you lol

god I wish I had such a defined plan, as to what if sh*t happens, when & how things will pan out as I approach retirement .

I buy what I like & when I can afford it , bit like everything I collect, have a interest in , e.g watches, collectables  etc ( not having a mortgage for the last 15 years have helped a lot! paid off with redundancies, bonus payments in my younger years) .

dean.m

20 minutes ago, Augustus1 said:

god I wish I had such a defined plan, as to what if sh*t happens, when & how things will pan out as I approach retirement .

I buy what I like & when I can afford it , bit like everything I collect, have a interest in , e.g watches, collectables  etc ( not having a mortgage for the last 15 years have helped a lot! paid off with redundancies, bonus payments in my younger years) .

dean.m

I was the same, but quickly realised most other “collectibles” I bought weren’t really retaining value or appreciating. So I switched to pms. It scratched the itch to spend money, collect cool stuff while at least preserving some future value.

4 hours ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

I was the same, but quickly realised most other “collectibles” I bought weren’t really retaining value or appreciating. So I switched to pms. It scratched the itch to spend money, collect cool stuff while at least preserving some future value.

I've got that history too but it was alongside gold...but if I have a  cupboard full of baseball cards, boxes of antiques and cornishware ... well ... everywhere.

• 2 months later...

Very good question! I don’t think I’ll ever stop stacking and collecting till the day I die. I have sold some of my coins, of course. I guess I’m one of those stackers and collectors whose hoard you’ll read about in the Daily Mail being discovered in some piano case someday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4428868/Haul-gold-coins-stashed-piano-worth-500-000.html

A2372AB9-783D-4AEF-83B3-D6A23299C367.jpeg

1 hour ago, Serendipity said:

Very good question! I don’t I’ll ever stop stacking and collecting till the day I die. I have sold some of my coins, of course. I guess I’m one of those stackers and collectors whose hoard you’ll read about in the Daily Mail being discovered in some piano case someday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4428868/Haul-gold-coins-stashed-piano-worth-500-000.html

A2372AB9-783D-4AEF-83B3-D6A23299C367.jpeg

Feed the horde, Feed the horde!.

Archived