• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2019 Peter Rabbit 50p

Anyone else receive an email from The Royal Mint announcing a new Peter Rabbit coin for 2019, launching 19 March 2019?03BDFB32-FBB8-491C-B474-B6576C51BF37.thumb.jpeg.298d5ccdffdd465a8aa3106b835f2651.jpeg

The word “exhaustion” comes to mind...I am sure there are others as well, but this is the best I could come up with. Also noting this was brought up in the Gold 50p Hawking post as well.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, I received the email, as did @AndrewSL76 who brought the matter up in the Stephen Hawking 50p discussion in the Gold section. Isn't it just wonderful that the Mint are flogging this series to death with a 4th annual issue. And I thought you could only skin a rabbit once. Let's hope that one of the characters is Mr Tod the fox and the coin design shows darling Peter disappearing down Mr Tod's throat. End of story. 

Just noticed that Peter Rabbit’s initials are PR and that this is yet another PR stunt from the mint. 

Anyone else also seen the ridiculous articles online? The journalism on these issues is garbage.

”Today, the most sought after ones are the Peter Rabbit editions - with the 2016 edition selling for upwards of £600 and the 2017 version, selling for £650.”

Utter nonsense.

What baffles me is the timing.

The Hawking 50p has only just been released, and we're already onto the next one. Does that suggest the RM have a busy release schedule for the rest of the year?

Also, the 'register your interest' for a release only five days away (at the time) seemed odd.

3 hours ago, longplay said:

The Hawking 50p has only just been released, and we're already onto the next one. Does that suggest the RM have a busy release schedule for the rest of the year?

Also, the 'register your interest' for a release only five days away (at the time) seemed odd.

I think we are coming up to the end of the Royal Mint's financial year (31/3) - kerching!

Of course the Royal Mint will have plenty of releases for the rest of the year - kerching!

I think short notice is because the Royal Mint is still deciding on its releases - kerching! 

14 hours ago, GoodAsGold said:

Yup, I received the email, as did @AndrewSL76 who brought the matter up in the Stephen Hawking 50p discussion in the Gold section. Isn't it just wonderful that the Mint are flogging this series to death with a 4th annual issue. And I thought you could only skin a rabbit once. Let's hope that one of the characters is Mr Tod the fox and the coin design shows darling Peter disappearing down Mr Tod's throat. End of story. 

I can't find a proclamation for this new coin. The only thing i could find that i mentioned before was about a possible 2019 dated Newton coin, is a proclamation that amends an existing older proclamation that a date change can be made!

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/3204639 which amends this one which has mention of Peter Rabbit and Newton https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/2929928

Doesn't give any description of a new design as they keep the proclamation very open-ended!

2 hours ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

Spotted this headline this morning which made me laugh for several reasons. Top reporting here no doubt!

bullshit.jpg

Precisely the type of headline that the Mint craves. Mass demand from Joe Public to buy the coins, long queue for a crashing website and some genuine collectors missing out. Solution? Just go to eBay and secure your BU coin for £840 😜

43 minutes ago, h103efa said:

I can't find a proclamation for this new coin. The only thing i could find that i mentioned before was about a possible 2019 dated Newton coin, is a proclamation that amends an existing older proclamation that a date change can be made!

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/3204639 which amends this one which has mention of Peter Rabbit and Newton https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/2929928

Doesn't give any description of a new design as they keep the proclamation very open-ended!

I wonder if a proclamation prior to the release of the first set of coins in 2016 might have stated something along the lines of it being an annual series?  That could perhaps get around further proclamations. Just a guess, that's all. You're my officially appointed Gazette proclamations expert, H 😁

15 minutes ago, GoodAsGold said:

Precisely the type of headline that the Mint craves. Mass demand from Joe Public to buy the coins, long queue for a crashing website and some genuine collectors missing out. Solution? Just go to eBay and secure your BU coin for £840 😜

I don't know...  with that headline you'll have a bunch of confused people scouring the Royal Mail's website looking for this clear bargain of the century! 😂

2 minutes ago, GoodAsGold said:

You're my officially appointed Gazette proclamations expert, H 😁

I'm definitely having that top of my CV!

Based on the proclamation i've seen previously, but by no means understand, it seems any coin that is to be released has to be proclaimed in the Gazette officially! Usually there isn't a mention of annual or coin series, but which type of coins (Gold, Silver, Piedfort, BUNC, circulated) could be made if required. I'll be interested in what does get released and if it can be referred back to a Gazette document. But that is just being geek chique!

5 hours ago, longplay said:

Maybe they are trying to determine how many to mint by people registering interest.

7 hours ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Just noticed that Peter Rabbit’s initials are PR and that this is yet another PR stunt from the mint. 

Anyone else also seen the ridiculous articles online? The journalism on these issues is garbage.

”Today, the most sought after ones are the Peter Rabbit editions - with the 2016 edition selling for upwards of £600 and the 2017 version, selling for £650.”

Utter nonsense.

Actually Andrew, on reflection the 2016 silver proof PR only had a limited edition issue of 15,000 and remains a hot coin. That particular silver proof is the only one in the previous 3 year series that HAS commanded such astronomical prices. Everything else is utter nonsense as you said.

9 minutes ago, Sal said:

Maybe they are trying to determine how many to mint by people registering interest.

Who knows, Sal? You would think the Mint should also have some idea of customer demand based on sales of this series of coins over the past 3 years.

3 minutes ago, GoodAsGold said:

Actually Andrew, on reflection the 2016 silver proof PR only had a limited edition issue of 15,000 and remains a hot coin. That particular silver proof is the only one in the previous 3 year series that HAS commanded such astronomical prices. Everything else is utter nonsense as you said.

Thanks for that - I wasn't aware that the mintage on that coin was so low. Always good to be told and understand proper facts!!

A side point - but how do the Mint actually decide on mintage figures? It seems that on one hand they issue low mintage (Hawking and 50 years) but then on the other hand it can be so high (Paddington Silver Proofs) that they are still for sale and could even have been bought at half price due to a recent voucher code that was doing the rounds.....

Given that the Mint are a public office and you can submit Freedom of Information Act requests, has anyone ever sought their mintage policy or their yearly strategy document(s). Could be an interesting question or two for the Mint to answer? I will do this now and start a new thread and update in due course.

Andrew.

3 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Thanks for that - I wasn't aware that the mintage on that coin was so low. Always good to be told and understand proper facts!!

A side point - but how do the Mint actually decide on mintage figures? It seems that on one hand they issue low mintage (Hawking and 50 years) but then on the other hand it can be so high (Paddington Silver Proofs) that they are still for sale and could even have been bought at half price due to a recent voucher code that was doing the rounds.....

Given that the Mint are a public office and you can submit Freedom of Information Act requests, has anyone ever sought their mintage policy or their yearly strategy document(s). Could be an interesting question or two for the Mint to answer? I will do this now and start a new thread and update in due course.

Andrew.

Sadly I only started collecting in 2016 with the sole intention of collecting cleaner coins than the ones I generally had in my pocket. So it was BU coins to start with, instead of dirty circulated ones, meaning I missed out on the 2016 silver proof Rabbit. I'd moved up to silver proofs by 2017 and onto a small collection of gold proofs since. I wouldn't pay the going rates for the 2016 silver when I can buy other gold coins for less. Sorry, I reminisce.

As for the Mint deciding on mintage figures, if they've got a policy then it's hit and miss. I'm sure you appreciate from posts on  @h103efa's Stephen Hawking 50p topic that the Mint gets some things wrong. I 'd be interested to hear an answer on that one should you go ahead with a FOI request though. I would guess you'd receive a response consisting of a couple of sentences, rather than a detailed breakdown, but who knows if you don't ask?

On 15/03/2019 at 19:52, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

Spotted this headline this morning which made me laugh for several reasons. Top reporting here no doubt!

bullshit.jpg

Anything with the words, could, might, may etc are what is  commonly called “opinion” not fact.

24 minutes ago, Oldun said:

Anything with the words, could, might, may etc are what is  commonly called “opinion” not fact.

Yep, I'm just about the last person that needs to be convinced of that. The article I am pretty sure (since I didn't actually read it) was sensationalist garbage. I just posted the headline because the absurd sensationalism combined with them screwing up the source (Royal Mail instead of Royal Mint) amused me and I thought might amuse others.

Archived