• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

There is NO silver shortage - Stop the myth - WHY are you still stacking silver ???

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is not a myth is that technology, automation and robotics will have a major impact in every industry in the next 10 years that includes the mining industry. What will be the price/purchasing power of PMs in 2030 anyone guess. Not everybody stacks PMs for a lot of individuals is just a hobby and are collectors. PMs insurance policy I would rather have them and not need them than be in the other boat.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gregsatell/2016/08/12/5-technologies-for-2031/#6053966a334f

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbestechcouncil/2019/03/01/tech-experts-predict-13-jobs-that-will-be-automated-by-2030/#5b919d5122bf

33 minutes ago, Abyss said:

What is not a myth is that technology, automation and robotics will have a major impact in every industry in the next 10 years that includes the mining industry. What will be the price/purchasing power of PMs in 2030 anyone guess. Not everybody stacks PMs for a lot of individuals is just a hobby and are collectors. PMs insurance policy I would rather have them and not need them than be in the other boat.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gregsatell/2016/08/12/5-technologies-for-2031/#6053966a334f

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbestechcouncil/2019/03/01/tech-experts-predict-13-jobs-that-will-be-automated-by-2030/#5b919d5122bf

The one thing we know for sure is getting cheaper to produce is fiat.

From base metals, silver and gold to just base metal then paper to polymer and soon just "0"s and "1"s with no physcial production required at all.

2 minutes ago, mr-dead said:

The one thing we know for sure is getting cheaper to produce is fiat.

From base metals, silver and gold to just base metal then paper to polymer and soon just "0"s and "1"s with no physcial production required at all. 

Any central bank can create billions Dollars/Yen/Euros/Pounds not getting cheaper to create fiat it the same price as it has been for a while a stroke of a keyboard. A lot of trust and faith in fiat because the government has citizens/business it can tax. Government debt highest rated bond because guaranteed revenue stream through taxation. During the next recession / financial crisis / interest rates need raised significantly the Federal Reserve and other central banks can provide governments interest freeze suspension option and buy all the treasury notes/government bonds held by commercial banks. How can a government go bankrupt paying zero percent on its debt?

All QE taken place inflated stock/property markets but failed to have impact on inflation for day to day goods and services (yes the numbers manipulated even so). Central banks don't want any competition with their fiat currency and with this level of power one must ask the question will PMs ever see their true intrinsic value?

As pointed out the thing with silver, and most other "rare" earth metals is not necessarily the abundance per-se but rather the infrastructure of extraction. I don't think silver is ever going to shoot the moon (so to speak). If anything, beyond production/mining, silver probably has a lot more vulnerability to being usurped as an industrial metal by emerging materials like carbon nanomaterials.

Platinum probably has a more secure future as an industrial metal (it's such a potent catalyst, it's vital for most forms of hydrogen fuel cells and various other applications beyond just car catalytic converters). As for something that's a traditional money substitute, well just look at how gold has performed during the recent Brexit turmoil. Silver seems to be a weird halfway house that's neither fully industrial nor a reliable go-to for financial stability.

On 16/03/2019 at 23:26, DarkChameleon said:

Why do you assume that the people of silver forum stack?...if we did then we'd buy and not care what they were but how many we can afford...we don't seem to see many of us buying monster boxes...because we collect more then we stack.

Well I don't collect... I have no interest in coins what so ever.

I guess that makes me a stacker 🙂

On 16/03/2019 at 17:47, mr-dead said:

In 1980 silver hit just under $50 oz ($153 adjusted for inflation in todays money)

39 years later there is obviously a lot less to pull out of the ground but we are now at just over $15 oz, seems there is a significant upside potential.

Some interesting pricing information that shows silver is currently on sale:

image.png.0769fd6ed094953159b611626d704e94.png

That was due to the Hunt bros manipulation. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

imo it's as david morgan says: the current market for silver

is demand driven, supply has little affect on price.

many suppliers of silver talk about how supply is tight etc.

but then when was the last time a supplier told you that

you can't buy silver because it's currently out of stock?

I believe that there is plenty of supply of silver accessible at

current prices. they always compare it to gold. it's nothing

like gold. gold is increasingly harder to mine. a significant

percentage of the silver supply is as a by product of mining

other metals. read, silver is so abundant and accessible in

areas of other metal mining that recovering this unintentional

by product makes up more supply than from silver mines.

where does the lower grade silver as by products originate

from?

many silver investors/stackers etc won't accept the data. it

goes against their understanding of silver as a rare precious

metal. silver can rise in price despite it's abundance. but then

that would make it speculative and more of a gamble than an

investment.

HH

• 1 year later...
On 24/03/2020 at 20:07, rusikkk said:

found a 20kg piece of silver:)))  Me and my family were over the moon.

Yes silver is going to Moon.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

There's definitely a silver shortage at the moment due to the explosion in demand. But even before the panic there was a silver bar shortage going back a year. Most premium bar brands were out of stock at most dealers, in the 1 oz and 10 oz sizes. Now they're completely gone.

a silver bullion shortage and a silver bar shortage are two

different things. there is never a silicon shortage but there

could well be a silicon chip shortage at points in time. my

current guess is that the silver that industry no longer

needs for the year will make it's way into silver coins and

bars. with the way production/delivery is at the moment,

this may take some time.

it's more likely that we are looking at a logistics problem as

opposed to an r5 rarity problem.

HH

17 hours ago, HawkHybrid said:

a silver bullion shortage and a silver bar shortage are two

different things. there is never a silicon shortage but there

could well be a silicon chip shortage at points in time. my

current guess is that the silver that industry no longer

needs for the year will make it's way into silver coins and

bars. with the way production/delivery is at the moment,

this may take some time.

it's more likely that we are looking at a logistics problem as

opposed to an r5 rarity problem.

HH

despicable me what GIF - Keith Neumeyer -  OWNS the one of the largest PRIME SILVER MINERS -WHAT would HE KNOW??

Bert wert duz aye NO!?

22 minutes ago, 5huggy said:

Keith Neumeyer -  OWNS the one of the largest PRIME SILVER MINERS -WHAT would HE KNOW??

it's never what you know. it's what you're willing to tell people.

fact is the 60% demand from industry for silver is not going

to be 60% this year. count in tens of millions of troy ounces.

I never said they don't know their stuff. I've always said they

have reason to not be forthcoming with data that might affect

their personal interests.

maybe an interviewer can ask keith neumeyer(or any other mine

owner expert) if they believe world industrial demand for silver

that accounts for 60% of total world demand is likely to reduce

this year?

why do you think they are all so desperate to remind people that

silver coins and bars(20% world demand) have run out at local

coin shops?

(carefully ignoring the likely reduction in industrial demand which

accounts for 60% world demand, there is a reason for the recent

price drop in silver.)

HH

Unlike EBCs (Electronic Bank Claims) that can be conjured at the push of a button, Silver can’t be made to magically appear. Knowing this I rather take my chances with Silver than ECBs that aren’t even with currency paper notes (fiat).

All of this is a confidence game of musical chairs where the music has been playing for far too long and with more chairs being out on the floor than there are people participating. In a scenario such as this the game either goes on but with a massive reduction of chairs and shorter music playing sections or the game is terminated.

When the deflation ends and all the new EBCs and currencies come out to purchase goods and services, prices will go to the moon. It does not really matter what you hold given it has some usage that people desire it for.

Silver is wanted more for industrial purposes than monetary ones at the moment, yet who knows if that will change? Maybe it will and mayhaps it won’t, but it is certainly better to have something physical that people want or need rather than empty promises tied to general confidence during uncertain times.  

History is quite clear on this matter, so much that it is even presented in cartoons.

1 hour ago, Platinum said:

Unlike EBCs (Electronic Bank Claims) that can be conjured at the push of a button, Silver can’t be made to magically appear. Knowing this I rather take my chances with Silver than ECBs that aren’t even with currency paper notes (fiat).

All of this is a confidence game of musical chairs where the music has been playing for far too long and with more chairs being out on the floor than there are people participating. In a scenario such as this the game either goes on but with a massive reduction of chairs and shorter music playing sections or the game is terminated.

When the deflation ends and all the new EBCs and currencies come out to purchase goods and services, prices will go to the moon. It does not really matter what you hold given it has some usage that people desire it for.

Silver is wanted more for industrial purposes than monetary ones at the moment, yet who knows if that will change? Maybe it will and mayhaps it won’t, but it is certainly better to have something physical that people want or need rather than empty promises tied to general confidence during uncertain times.  

History is quite clear on this matter, so much that it is even presented in cartoons.

having something that is worth something in the future is not

good enough.

you want something that is likely to be worth equal or more

in the future than what you gave up to acquire it today.

if you are unwilling to hold fiat currency because it value

would be eroded over time by inflation, then would you be

equally unhappy holding any item that has it's value eroded

over time? what if that item was silver?

(if you think this cannot happen with a commodity such as

silver then you need to think of commodities that have done

so in the past. eg salt, sugar, steel. improvements in technology

makes commodities more accessible and thus cheaper.

more useful commodities such as gold are less/not affected)

imo it's usually better to choose gold than silver.

(with the recent drops silver does look tempting)

HH

2 hours ago, HawkHybrid said:

having something that is worth something in the future is not good enough. you want something that is likely to be worth equal or more in the future than what you gave up to acquire it today. if you are unwilling to hold fiat currency because it value would be eroded over time by inflation, then would you be equally unhappy holding any item that has it's value eroded over time? what if that item was silver?(if you think this cannot happen with a commodity such as silver then you need to think of commodities that have done so in the past. eg salt, sugar, steel. improvements in technology makes commodities more accessible and thus cheaper.

more useful commodities such as gold are less/not affected) imo it's usually better to choose gold than silver. (with the recent drops silver does look tempting)

HH

If having something that is worth something in the future is not good enough, then by all means, what is?

Your logic here is a bit hard to interpret. A currency will be worth less in the future assuming normal inflation and no fluctuations like with the Swiss Franc. However here we are talking a complete lack of faith in the currency (which historically has happened to every fiat). Hence why any commodity is preferable over a fiat.

It is true that commodities can go down, anything can, yet silver is a handy commodity unlike the one you listed due to its properties. Now technology has certainly aided the work of getting certain commodities but mining is still today very resource intensive. In fact it is a horrible business. And at these prices silver is more of a by product from other metal mining.

I reckon it is good to have both metals in your portfolio. Only having gold has its downsides and unlike silver its industrial uses are far fewer. So in essence I rather sit with silver as an addition to gold rather than fiat in the form of EBCs. Some dry powder is good to have though.

Been constantly buying 60% silver coins at spot plus shipping no problem at all on a regular monthly, yearly basis where I am.....and no problem now either.....I dont blame the big dealers. They have a product to sell and a business torun and mouths to feed just like us. If I were a car salesman, I would be trying to sell cars....I dont blame them, it is normal.

Just go and look for older, ordinary, recognisable in your own country silver coins and you should be fine.

Or go buy old silver cutlery....if that floats your boat. Hallmarked and proof of being silver.

One thing you cannot ignore is the gold to silver ratio which has reached all time highs...it was about 120 ozs of silver to buy 1oz of gold.....so a no brainer really.

Archived