• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

GOLD DEALS - (UK & Europe) See a deal, post it here

ChrisSilver
Message added by ChrisSilver,

Please do not use this section to share affiliate links, this is against forum rules. We do not want the forum to become full of spam links. Please note the announcement here, which explains in more detail

3 minutes ago, Mysstree said:

More from the point that the quarter sovereign being discussed is not a coin as such so its got no face value. Not doubting the gold content.

The Royal Mint do not hold any rights over the name “sovereign” so any company can produce a round called a sovereign.

Although the actual sovereign has no face value and that's considered a coin?

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

A Royal Mint produced Sovereign has a face value of a pound, the quarter sovereign has a face value of 25p.

Obviously no one is going to try and buy something from a pound shop with a Sovereign unless they are an idiot, but technically its legal tender is £1. i do believe thats how VAT and CGT are not applied?

You could not buy anything with the quarter sovereign under discussion as its not legal tender.

I would guess that were you to sell this to a bullion dealer you would only get spot or under.

2 minutes ago, Mysstree said:

A Royal Mint produced Sovereign has a face value of a pound, the quarter sovereign has a face value of 25p.

Obviously no one is going to try and buy something from a pound shop with a Sovereign unless they are an idiot, but technically its legal tender is £1. i do believe thats how VAT and CGT are not applied?

You could not buy anything with the quarter sovereign under discussion as its not legal tender.

I would guess that were you to sell this to a bullion dealer you would only get spot or under.

It is legal tender in Gibraltar. That doesn't make it not a coin.

4 minutes ago, Mysstree said:

Gold is VAT exempt regardless of where it's from and CGT status.

Most seasoned Gold investors are probably aware of the CGT (in terms of Royal Mint vs others). When it comes to non-Royal Mint we (myself and @FriedrichVonHayek in this case) purchased because it's a bargain. If it was a larger investment (1oz for example) I would probably focus more towards a CGT free product. But when it's a bargain - that's below spot + free delivery - it's more of a "why not" purchase. When it comes to selling non-CGT-free items, I would ensure the financial year's allowance concerned doesn't go above the limit. e.g. if selling some PMs this financial year, I'd sell the non tax free items up to a profit of 3k (current allowance) then move on to the CGT free items so there's no tax on both CGT free and non-CGT-free items :) 

1 hour ago, FriedrichVonHayek said:

I've bit the bullet and bought two quarters for £216🫣.

Hahhaha in fairness you won’t find a new half sovereign / carded/ and delivered for that price , just pray they don’t lose your payment and have to call you everyday like they did to me first time 🤣

51 minutes ago, Mysstree said:

Probably yes, but trust me H&T is selling them for 170£ each 🥹(the audacity) 

25 minutes ago, Ram95 said:

Hahhaha in fairness you won’t find a new half sovereign / carded/ and delivered for that price , just pray they don’t lose your payment and have to call you everyday like they did to me first time 🤣

I have used the PayPal 3 month payment thing of 3 monthly payments of £72.

Any problems and I can set PayPal on them.

Those guys can get sh*t done.

Edited by FriedrichVonHayek

1 hour ago, katyc said:

Me too 😬

I'll look forward to pressing the "block" button if they call me 😊

I have a second pay as you go mobile number and  email just for this type of buys.  If that numbers rings, I just don't bother after I have had my goods.

Never Chase and Never Regret 

43 minutes ago, Spyder said:

I have a second pay as you go mobile number and  email just for this type of buys.  If that numbers rings, I just don't bother after I have had my goods.

Sometimes blocking a spammers number doesn't work (they call from different numbers). So they soon stop when I wind them up. 

Accident compensation: "I had a boob job but instead they removed my left toe so now I only have 9 toes and still want bigger boobs" (they never called again)

Mobile phone providers who sometimes won't stop no matter how many times I tell them I'm not interested: "Herro? Herrrroooowwwww? Sorry? Sorry? Can I have a pound of sausages please? Sorry? Is that you Michael? I love you. Sorry? Herrow? Pickled Onions" (they soon give up if you act weird enough).

Or the good old "Are you aware this number is registered with TPS? It's illegal to call me" (8/10 apologise profusely and don't bother again. 2/10 will still try).

Edited by katyc

On 11/09/2024 at 13:20, katyc said:

I think below spot and free delivery makes it a steal :) 

Max purchase of one. They also have the Team GB one available:

The Official Team GB Brilliant Uncirculated Gold Quarter Sovereign - Shop - The London Mint Office

This one isn't working for me, "a problem adding to basket" :(

Progress is a myth. Democracy is a sham. Dumbing down is real.
Throw your mobile 'phone in the bin, it will free you!
Turn your TV off, cancel your licence.
USE CASH WHEREVER POSSIBLE.

3 minutes ago, katyc said:

Accident compensation: "I had a boob job but instead they removed my left toe so now I only have 9 toes and still want bigger boobs" (they never called again)

Nine toes? I'm ooot

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

5 minutes ago, katyc said:

They must have sold out. Just blame @James32. 9/10 times anyone misses out on anything, it's usually his fault.

Showing as "medium" availability, whatever that means. Possibly that I need to make contact with 'the other side' to obtain one?

31 minutes ago, Earthmetal said:

This one isn't working for me, "a problem adding to basket" :(

I've just tried. Wouldn't let me add (probably because I ordered mine yesterday). But then I logged out. It let me add. So perhaps register with a different email, wink wink (although they may recognise your address if you have ordered from them before so it may not work)

Just now, katyc said:

I've just tried. Wouldn't let me add (probably because I ordered mine yesterday). But then I logged out. It let me add. So perhaps register with a different email, wink wink (although they may recognise your address if you have ordered from them before so it may not work)

Got it now. Tried logging out and in again, but this time did a password change too, and it worked. Go figure. I think my Dad might get a couple more now, he just won't know about it... :)

3 minutes ago, Spyder said:

I have put two in my basket and are allowing me to check out. I have no interest in them

At £436 for a full Sov equivalent in four quarters I'm deffo interested!
Current spot for a quarter sov is £114.80p, these are £6.80 less, including post.

Edited by Earthmetal

56 minutes ago, Earthmetal said:

Showing as "medium" availability, whatever that means. Possibly that I need to make contact with 'the other side' to obtain one?

Just ordered, no problem my end it must be you. 😊

36 minutes ago, katyc said:

Pretty sure a different email works OK 🙄