• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Do you keep buying?

JinKesef

Personally I would not be buying silver at $40 or higher, I think at that point in time I would likely be well into the process of offloading my stack while looking for a better return on my money.

This of course is due to my own goals from stacking silver which in my case is to hopefully cash in on a spike in silver while having a lot of fun stacking it all first. I think this will also be the biggest deciding factor for most people, what are your goals for stacking and how would $40 or higher silver effect that goal.

I personally do not see silver going to the moon in my lifetime, like most things in the world its highly manipulated. As to the whole end of days that people shout about and silver being real money, I do agree with some of it but can you eat your silver when you are starving and how do you plan on taking all your silver with you if Russia bomb your house?

Short version, no but it all depends on what your goals are.

Price has a sociological impact when making PM purchasing decisions. For twenty years my late dad kept buying gold in form of Jewellery but once prices broke above £250 ounce he stopped as he was accustomed to a lower price. I have bought the majority of my stack when silver $14 and Gold $1200 and even though prices today are not significantly higher the current prices are having impact on purchasing decisions. Silver above $20 I don’t think I would purchase anymore either let alone $40. Also other factors to the PM purchasing decision other than price but price has big role to play. Silver hit $40 gold maybe above €1800 and if everybody talking about gold (barbershops/people at work/next door neighbour) then PM entered into general public interest and it is time to exit your position not be sweep into buying frenzy generated by the general public.

I would consider buying silver at 40usd however most probably small amounts unless at that point I have vast amounts of disposable income. 

If Ag is at 40usd I would seriously consider using Ag in a barter system if possible.

i would buy depending on the circumstances at the time. We are discussing how we would respond to future circumstances using what we know today.

A price of $40 for silver could be a screaming buy.

In the year of 2003 silver was still in the $4 range at about $4.30. How would stackers at that time have responded to the question what if silver goes up 2.5x to $10.75?

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Thing is we are thinking in terms of fiat money, one of most unreliable and illusory things on this world, which fluctuates short term but depreciate in long term. People don't understand 'paper' money 😀

14 minutes ago, Michal said:

Thing is we are thinking in terms of fiat money, one of most unreliable and illusory things on this world, which fluctuates short term but depreciate in long term. People don't understand 'paper' money 😀

Yes, a price of $40 could mean silver is worth less than today.

Inflation is higher than the official numbers, governments adjust the basket of goods and services to keep the rate down. John Williams' Shadow Stats puts US inflation at over 5%. If you calculate the price of silver using 5% inflation, a price of $16 is $20.42 in 5 years, over 27% more. Fiat currency becomes worth less and less until it is worthless. ideally you should identify things that are tangible your silver is worth, then whatever currency goes to you know what value your silver has. i am not sure what i would use as a guide but at the end of the day a depreciating asset like fiat isn't the best guide.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Depends entirely on the circumstances and timeline. If it suddenly shot up to 40 over a short period of time with fiat not losing substantial value I would stay as far from it as possible. If however we are talking a slow increase over time in line with the devaluation of fiat then clearly it is worth the same so that number wouldn't put me off.

14 minutes ago, sixgun said:

Inflation is higher than the official numbers, governments adjust the basket of goods and services to keep the rate down. John Williams' Shadow Stats puts US inflation at over 5%...

You have no idea how much time I spend like week a go to check prices of bread, sugar and milk from 2014 sold in shops, there are no data about that. I do remember some prices but memory isn't reliable. I checked stock receipt pictures 😀 and it was about 5% per year. But there are stunning products like 1l banana juice 85p in 2012 now 1.65 pound. That is 94% price increase . But there are more examples like this. Cooking beckon in 2012 500g 17p now 56p

27 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

Depends entirely on the circumstances and timeline.

Hit the nail on the head it all depends entirely on the circumstances and timeline.

Uncertainty, will the next major recession be the one that brings down the fiat system? Is there Black Swan event nobody seen coming? Will there be another bubble in PMs? My position is that governments will continue to ever increase the debt for the next decade and maintain status quo and if this is the case then the manipulation in PMs will continue. I will be looking for price suppression to add significantly to the physical stack and don't think silver will get to $40 over the next decade.

It depends on several factors:

the gold price - if gold did not go up the same percentage, I would buy more gold instead of silver,

the general state of the economy - if buying silver (precious metals) would be the safest haven at that moment, I would still buy.

Then $40 an ounce is not the sum where I would sell, at least not the majority of my stack.

And all in all I am setting my precious metals budget in weight, not in price, so if I still could afford it, I would still buy.

8 hours ago, Robjw said:

Personally I would not be buying silver at $40 or higher, I think at that point in time I would likely be well into the process of offloading my stack while looking for a better return on my money.

This of course is due to my own goals from stacking silver which in my case is to hopefully cash in on a spike in silver while having a lot of fun stacking it all first. I think this will also be the biggest deciding factor for most people, what are your goals for stacking and how would $40 or higher silver effect that goal.

I personally do not see silver going to the moon in my lifetime, like most things in the world its highly manipulated. As to the whole end of days that people shout about and silver being real money, I do agree with some of it but can you eat your silver when you are starving and how do you plan on taking all your silver with you if Russia bomb your house?

Short version, no but it all depends on what your goals are.

I have a bit of a Collection and some investment round/bars. I already have silver that’s worth more than gold 

It's not too hard to know if you are over or under paying for precious metals. Over the long term, it trends with the inflation-adjusted value of the global reserve currency. If spot is at/under that trend line at $40 an ounce, there is probably still value there. Otherwise, hold put or reduce your holdings a bit.  

All bets are off should the reserve currency change from the USD, of course. But I don't see that happening anytime soon, and if it did the uncertainty it would create would likely make silver go up in value as governments pivoted away from US debt into some other reserve of value (i.e. precious metal and commodity baskets). 

Archived