• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

So, who got a grufallo?

lightjaw

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, lightjaw said:

42988 as of now. I wonder how many of these are buyers and how many just curious. If they were buyers I would have expected everything to have sold out by now. Probably a professional flipper with 42000 tabs open on their pc :)

I had a couple of tabs open last night that I had opened at different times but the queue positions were in sync.  Guess they know because of your IP address.

Added 0 minutes later...
9 minutes ago, shawy2510 said:

If anyone doesn't like the golds once arrived hit me up :)

You can have mine for £1200 :D 

1 minute ago, Goldhooked said:

I had a couple of tabs open last night that I had opened at different times but the queue positions were in sync.  Guess they know because of your IP address.

Added 0 minutes later...

You can have mine for £1200 :D 

Meh £750 as it will be 2nd hand by then

1 minute ago, Goldhooked said:

Because this is the first time I have bought in to the gold version, it will tank and you'll get one for £100 in a few weeks :( 

Just checked with the Royal Mint - I’ve managed to stop your purchase @Goldhooked, to preserve value for the rest of us 👍👍👍

I’m feeling slightly worried about the “subject to availability” in my email confirmation.  I can’t believe that with the 10s of 000s of people that were in front of me, there were still coins left!

Just now, Mike said:

I’m feeling slightly worried about the “subject to availability” in my email confirmation.  I can’t believe that with the 10s of 000s of people that were in front of me, there were still coins left!

They all say that.  Even for people who got in early.

Just now, Mike said:

I think this is a routine and in the t&c’s it cites this. I purchased the Silver Proof Anniversay 50p Set- it took them around 2 weeks to confirm and close my order and I don’t get delivery until ‘late March’. If you were in early- odds are you will have the order fulfilled.

This was the PERFECT opportunity to boycott these kind of products. But no, now they'll carry on minting these flops. They'll lose half their value in a years time. Nothing collectable about it.

Each to their own - that's part of the attraction of coin collecting, I reckon.

Coins such as the Snowman, The Grufallo, and the Beatrix Potter series are a cracking way of introducing the younger generation to collecting, and it's great that there's such a wide range for people to choose from - even though none of the above floated my particular boat.

1 minute ago, Harry said:

This was the PERFECT opportunity to boycott these kind of products. But no, now they'll carry on minting these flops. They'll lose half their value in a years time. Nothing collectable about it.

I beg to differ with this one. It has the child appeal factor which I think will see it command a premium at least for 6 months or so. These are exactly the kind of thing parents would buy for children, unlike the snowman which I think is hampered by the seasonality of it. I think it comes down to if this sells out in the silver version. If it sells out today, I can see £250+ on eBay by next week. There seems to be that kind of Buzz around it, and the last time I saw that was with Peter rabbit.

Could also be completely wrong.

1 hour ago, Fastnick said:

Each to their own - that's part of the attraction of coin collecting, I reckon.

Coins such as the Snowman, The Grufallo, and the Beatrix Potter series are a cracking way of introducing the younger generation to collecting, and it's great that there's such a wide range for people to choose from - even though none of the above floated my particular boat.

Agree

If attracting a new generation of collectors (parents & kids), the Gruffalo design in my house at least has had the most appeal, over the snowman, Beatrix and Paddington.

22 minutes ago, terakris said:

Just noticed that too, gotta say I'm surprised with such a high mintage.

Same. Must be the snowman affect. People are just hoovering up for a quick profit.

Don't get me wrong if they actually start selling for silly money one of mine will end up on eBay. Look at these more as a hand me down though.

2 hours ago, lightjaw said:

42988 as of now. I wonder how many of these are buyers and how many just curious. If they were buyers I would have expected everything to have sold out by now. Probably a professional flipper with 42000 tabs open on their pc :)

Just looked now; I'm number 151625 with 14904 ahead of me. Earlier on I was around number 135000 with 33000 ahead of me. Presumably they alocate a consequtive number to everyone in the queue. Therefore, there have been well over 100k people queuing since midnight. If only a fraction of people actually stayed on and visited the site, you'd have expected the silver proofs to have sold out well before now. Must have been quite an attrition rate overnight😂

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

9 hours ago, Kookaburracollector said:

Having spent the last 5 years of my PAYE life working in Process Improvement, I am astounded at how an organisation like The Royal Mint can be so bad. I don’t think the Lean Six Sigma boys and girls have ever set foot in the building!

they most likely did all this on purpose :)

Archived