• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Stephen Hawking 50p

h103efa

28 minutes ago, Sal said:

Seems pretty hefty to me. What percentage increase is that for the Piedfort? 25% from the issue price.

Might be a high percentage,but only up a very low amount £25!!. As a business they have to make a profit (don’t forget) ..I think that is a very reasonable asking price..everyone will have their own opinion on ‘reasonable’ but in my world...I think it’s a good price.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I purchased the silver Piedfort and regular silver proof from the Coin Connection for £110 and £75 respectively. They  have increased the prices since I confirmed my order and applied the March NUMISTACKER discount code and so saved £3.70 (thanks Mr Numistacker). 

See the link below to my coin dedicated YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC32DEmDzkaZCBTBVTDiYr0A

2 hours ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Any thoughts on this? I’m confused...

They could offer it in another type of presentation at a later date, perhaps a two set with the Newton 50p. With the Paddington they recently issued more with a copy of the book in a different presentation, though not up to the maximum mintage limit.

Westminster started there sales at midnight that's when my brother got his so just the bunc for me as I'm not paying ebays "flipping" prices 😂

22 minutes ago, Kookaburracollector said:

Might be a high percentage,but only up a very low amount £25!!. As a business they have to make a profit (don’t forget) ..I think that is a very reasonable asking price..everyone will have their own opinion on ‘reasonable’ but in my world...I think it’s a good price.

Yes think its fair. Look at e bay prices and they have to make a profit. 

27 minutes ago, Kookaburracollector said:

So they didn’t get the coins at a discount from the Royal Mint you are saying? Of course they did and they had a profit at the mint list price I am sure. They just wanted MORE profit.

19 minutes ago, kimchi said:

They could offer it in another type of presentation at a later date, perhaps a two set with the Newton 50p. With the Paddington they recently issued more with a copy of the book in a different presentation, though not up to the maximum mintage limit.

The year 2019 would be the 350th anniversary of Isaac Newton writing De analysi per aequationes numero terminorum infinitas (Analysis by Equations with an infinite number of terms) though it was not published until 1711.  So, this could provide a possible link for the Royal Mint having a joint issue. 

Just now, Sal said:

So they didn’t get the coins at a discount from the Royal Mint you are saying? Of course they did and they had a profit at the mint list price I am sure. They just wanted MORE profit.

My last comment on this..

As you got yours at cost price..why do you concern yourself with the aftermarket price..you are the winner here.

If they got a discount then good for them..not sure if you have ever run a business but I have..the overheads are expensive..

Each to their own as I said, but most people do understand a business needs to make a profit..(AOC supporters excluded) they may make what you consider to be an excess profit on this item ,but this may allow them to offer other things at a lower price..or even just stay in business.

Anyway..I genuinely hope you do get your full order, as I know the wait for the next few days is a long one..I went through it not long ago..

best wishes..

1 hour ago, Sal said:

Don’t forget they gave quite a few to their dealer nerwork. Coin connection has some but you going to pay a premium over the mints price.

Yeah, thank, but I'm not going to pay silly money for it. £55 is silly enough imo.

I feel another whingy email to the mint coming on!

27 minutes ago, zeusss4 said:

https://www.islandstampsandcoins.co.uk/celebrating-the-life-of-stephen-hawking-2019-uk-50p-silver-proof-coin.html

£65 for anyone who missed out. Reasonable price, never used them until now. 

I've used them on @arshimo2012's recommendation to buy a Silver 50p Gruffalo- Fab service from start to finish.

9 minutes ago, Shinus73 said:

Everybody’s favourite - the London Coin Company - has the gold for £1500, piedfort for £250 and the Proof for £150.

Nice work if you can get it.

Just about to post that. Bargain 😄

Archived