• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

fake ebay seller warning

Sovereign

Hi people 

a new seller on ebay with some good feedback i believe selling coins that don’t have 

have asked him for more photos for the 1838 sovereign and the 1937 set !

(no photos been sent) 

i’m sure i have seen this 1838 sovereign before ..

C88EA76C-5A6C-4744-891B-B956A9CF0BF3.png

EBF9AD91-9F1F-4673-BE1C-4252B3C9A6D0.png

088CC19D-5BE6-4FD2-B8CB-31E0F691D1A9.jpeg

I was thinking the same thing about this seller. The feedback looks suspect  as most have 1 or 2 feedback and they are listing a lot of coins (before ebay are on to them ?) 1937 four coin sovereign set looks nice. But i will wait and see on this seller

2 minutes ago, Gordon said:

I was thinking the same thing about this seller. The feedback looks suspect  as most have 1 or 2 feedback and they are listing a lot of coins (before ebay are on to them ?) 1937 four coin sovereign set looks nice. But i will wait and see on this seller

all 24h auctions lol

15 minutes ago, Sovereign said:

6x half sovereigns sold on the 12/02/2019 not even halfs looking at the picture 

Why are ebay letting him list 10s ot thousands of pounds or coins when he is a new account ?

All new accounts these days have funds held for 28 days so no money will ever reach this person. There was a period where people were able to use eBay to essentially get a free loan - list and sell an item they don't have and it takes weeks before ebay or PayPal take action and force the return of funds. Some tits haven't yet learned you can't do that any more.

Edit - if you are ever in doubt one thing you can try is reverse searching the images. I had one a few weeks ago I thought was suspect and sure enough the image used in the listing was just one that had been found by the "seller" on Google.

7 minutes ago, Fivepoundfred said:

It's possible that  the seller could be  using mates or colleagues to " bid up " the prices on these coins, the bidding patterns and buyer profiles are unusual.

This happens a lot on eBay and they know it..! don’t think for a minute that they do not have computer algorithms that detect buyer / seller relationships because they do...BUT..they very rarely do anything about it.

Several months ago I noticed that I had been outbid by someone (on a coin) by a bidder who had (the previous month) bought a microwave from the same seller for £1..think about it...what are the chances of someone being the highest bidder on a microwave and then the following month buying a coin from the same seller,,ZERO!

I foolishly presented this ‘slam dunk’ evidence to Ebay who listened, understood and did sweet FA cup final about it.

I have learnt over time..too late really ..to just let things go..we all want to play the role of the righteous man, but remember this...’a bad system will always beat a good person’. Sometimes in life you know you are right but you have to let it go...(like being married😩)

Accept the fact that Ebay does work 95% of the time, if you are careful and don’t deal with newbies that % may rise to 97. Build this into your business model and accept the fact that 3% will xxxxxx you up!

I have been on the receiving end of some absolute howling decisions in the past from Ebay, but have always ended up on the winning end so far. Fortunately for me, I have CCTV on my house to prove that the van driver really did not deliver that coin to my address and I also studied law at university.

Try the forum first, eBay second. That said, the 1900 20 francs rooster I just posted on ‘Today I Received’ came from eBay and it is a gem.

Juat take care, and don’t let your personal desire for a bargain overwhelm your common sense.

2 minutes ago, zeusss4 said:

I bid £550 on his lot of 6 half sheildbacks. 

Within 10 minutes I was offered a cash deal!

I offered to pay using goods and services and heard nothing back. 

that’s how they doing it now !

i’m glad you didn’t pay 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Founder & Administrator

Topic moved to gold section

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Archived