• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Stack for weight or quality 2019?

zoravarandranik

Hello, 

I am in a bit of a dilemma. Would like some opinions for 2019. When it comes to silver would you stack for weight or quality? 

Quality refers to something that is easily to flip for profit. 

I'm currently looking at either: 

2oz Queens Beasts and or Britannias. With the plan to fill a monster box over 2 to 3 months. 

OR

B

100oz, 50oz, 10oz and 1oz rounds and bars. From the Royal mint and other famous companies. 

A gives me approx 160oz VS B where I can get 175oz at the same price. 

(This is where I live and probably its different in your country. I am Canadian). 

What's your thoughts and opinions when it comes to sell or flip? I am torn between getting more weight or going for the possibility to make some profits. 

Let me know some feedback,

Thanks!

Surely it all depends on your objective and time horizons. Are you a collector or an investor? Are you buying with a view to selling in a short time period or looking to build up your stack? For me these decisions are dependent on your objectives.

I'd choose both - weight and quality. I mean split the money between high-premium items (such as QB, I adore them as well) and in future if you're going to trade them you'll get the premium paid back and second - buy some plain generic bars and rounds. As silver tends to grow, so you won't lose anyway.

The early QB’s are expensive nowadays but they are a good collection so long as you get the full set or sets.

You’re in Canada, look at the Maple or RCM bars. I’ve just had more Maple’s delivered this morning but I won’t be buying more.

1 hour ago, zoravarandranik said:

Quality refers to something that is easily to flip for profit

Lot of confidence in this statement - doesn't always work that way, perhaps different in China ?

You should stack with value in mind. Quality does not refer to something that is easy to flip for profit. The price you buy at and so the price you could sell at for profit determines how easy you can flip coins. A tube of milk spotted Maples with scratches, if you bought them for $5 a coin, these would be a piece of cake to flip for profit but they are not quality.

Nothing you mention in your list shouts out quality to me, having said that there are some quality bars and rounds - i am thinking of the Royal Mint Britannia bars and PAMP Lady Fortuna. There are some really  nice rounds - but they don't come cheap. The better the quality the higher the price. We see high quality items appear on the forum - often they stick and don't sell. The number who want to pay the price can be small.

i know of people who buy more of a certain coin than they want, hold them a year or two and then sell them. i recall Cyber Curtain Twitcher did some videos on this. It can be done but takes experience and some luck.

Silver is a long hold. Your Britannias and QB's may develop milk spot - it happens. It depends on the tax situation on silver. You might be able to find Chinese silver - there are some vintage bars as boats and the like. i guess there are fakes but if you could research that market i think if you are in China this might be a fruitful area to investigate for longer term profit.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

9 hours ago, HawkHybrid said:

it should depend on your exit strategy.

HH

8 hours ago, BullionBuyer said:

Surely it all depends on your objective and time horizons. Are you a collector or an investor? Are you buying with a view to selling in a short time period or looking to build up your stack? For me these decisions are dependent on your objectives.

I stack things I would pass down to children. I also buy things that I would sell for more real estate. Either way I dont need the money to live so I'm not concerned about waiting. 

8 hours ago, TonyS said:

The early QB’s are expensive nowadays but they are a good collection so long as you get the full set or sets.

You’re in Canada, look at the Maple or RCM bars. I’ve just had more Maple’s delivered this morning but I won’t be buying more.

Personally I hate everything made by RCM. I dont think I own a single piece from them 😅

7 hours ago, Pete said:

Lot of confidence in this statement - doesn't always work that way, perhaps different in China ?

Fortune favors the bold. 

I was actually looking at a 100oz Brittania bar, 2 10oz Brittania bars, 50 oz Silvertown Bar, and 5 Morgan rounds. Which comes out to 175oz. 

For the same price I can pick up

160oz of 2oz Queens Beasts. 

I am not sure if a future return on QB would make up for the extra 15-16oz I can get. Royal mint in general is terrible for milk spotting. I'm not worried so much as it's all bullion and not proofs. 

Which would you rather for let's say 2 years, 5 years and 10 years?

Id say the bars if you're going to be passing them down in the family later,over the queens beasts etc that may milk spot over time.or just drop in price as time goes by :)

however on the other hand how easy would it be to sell the 100oz,or just stick to 10oz bars :)

25 minutes ago, HawkHybrid said:

what's your experience when selling milk spotted coins?

HH

I dont have any milk spotted coins and I have been collecting over 10 years. The last time I sold was when silver was $50/oz. I remember having no problem asking premiums then. So that's why I ask these questions. 

9 hours ago, zoravarandranik said:

I stack things I would pass down to children. I also buy things that I would sell for more real estate. Either way I dont need the money to live so I'm not concerned about waiting. 

Sounds to me you are more of a stacker in which case you should be looking to buy at the lowest premium. This would suggest going for Strategy B - Rounds and Bars. As long as they are from a reputable mint you will not have any problems with reselling. 

I have 60 oz at the moment but it is all for my son, I only started collecting last September.

Maples I’ve decided I’ll not buy more. The rest of the QB’s along with Britannia 10 oz bars are on the to get list

Archived