• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Why Newbies Need to do their Research

Pete

To all newbies joining the addictive silver forum spend some time doing your research before diving in and assuming you get the best bargains on eBay.

Here is a screen shot of some bullion silver Kangaroos spotted today on eBay.
This seller is a real chancer praying on the ill-informed as all of these coins can be picked up elsewhere for about £20 or close.
I am a Roo collector so always looking out for decent priced coins but this is really taking the p*ss.

1856493321_Screenshot2019-01-27at15_21_23.png.bc5963f049a576b6e19e961337f46908.png

You get this with everything on eBay though...  not just coins. I sell for a living on eBay and even within what I sell (in no way related to coins, silver, etc) you get the chancers that list everything for 5 times its actual value.

I agree though that people do need to educate themselves before shopping on ebay because as much as there are over priced items there are also a lot of fakes. That being said once you know what you are looking for there are some bargains to be had on there. I've had a good week this week getting some under spot Canadian Voyageur dollars and some very cheap 1oz silver proofs.

I have one guy I’ll deal with on E-Bay, to the point I’ve bought coins before he’s listed them. He’s honest with me and I am with him.

Otherwise I deal with Atkinson’s.

Caveat emptor.

I gave up on buying silver on eBay after 3 purchases. People seem to use it to sell their tarnished and spotted coins. Had a Perth mint dragon bar that was just one big milk spot and a Germania that had a massive spot in the middle. Neither of these defects were shown in the photos or mentioned in the post. Its the risk you take 

8 minutes ago, Wackattak924 said:

I gave up on buying silver on eBay after 3 purchases. People seem to use it to sell their tarnished and spotted coins. Had a Perth mint dragon bar that was just one big milk spot and a Germania that had a massive spot in the middle. Neither of these defects were shown in the photos or mentioned in the post. Its the risk you take 

Did you send them back ? Not as per picture.

1 minute ago, Kookaburracollector said:

Just got another newbie.. Joined 10 mins ago and wants to sell a £4K sov straight away.

Is there a template anywhere which we can copy paste into the sale item advising what to do...this happens soooo many times.

and a 6k coin I noticed

2 minutes ago, Kookaburracollector said:

Just got another newbie.. Joined 10 mins ago and wants to sell a £4K sov straight away.

Is there a template anywhere which we can copy paste into the sale item advising what to do...this happens soooo many times.

I just saw this thinking the same. 

Not even an introduction or anything straight to the buy & sell. 

3 minutes ago, Kookaburracollector said:

This was discussed on another thread last week..I suggested that newbies should earn the right to sell/buy by accumulating community reputation points first...Too tired tonight to expend any energy on this one...

Agree. 

I remember just before Xmas there was an influx of new members, listing items. Comments about the issues of first time selling etc. No sign of some of these members now. It's like TSF was mentioned elsewhere as a good trading place and people thought they would have a go! 

Sorry for possible off thread title comments. 

As long as there it demand there will be supply. You can't forbid someone form buying overpriced things. That reminds me story of chair sold on ebay like 100x more then its value and guy was still happy with purchasing it.

I always remember someone buying a picture of a xbox console for double the price of an actual console.

But i digress. Yes im new. And thats why im trading a few 50p and £2 doubles at the mo to build trust between me and other members. 

I wouldnt wanna part with lots of silver and gold with people i dont know and have no reputation

8 hours ago, ScroogeMcDuck said:

I wouldnt wanna part with lots of silver and gold with people i dont know and have no reputation

But you wouldn’t be parting with anything until you were paid, no one sends anything out until the cash hits the bank account.

Well if you realy wonder about this matter it all about trust in any transaction not only here but in general. As I speak with sellers they always claim reputation is most important and they prefer to take lost than harm on their good name.

Archived