• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Coin Auctions ‘Up North’

As most things numismatic in the UK seem to be London centric, I thought it may be useful to have a thread to alert those, fortunate enough to live in the YORKSHIRE area of what’s coming up for sale.

This auction in North Yorkshire has loads of sovereigns / 20 francs / proof sets etc for sale, but lots of other interesting lots as well.

It would be nice to think that if a forum member is going to attend,then they might view on behalf of another member who can’t attend, if they are interested in the condition of a particular lot. 

If there is ever an auction close to me, I would not mind sending the odd photo or two is asked nicely...

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/tennants-auctioneers/catalogue-id-srten10589?utm_source=auction-alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=auction-alert&utm_content=catlink

If this thread breaches forum rules forgiveness is sought.. @morezone

03F23942-6C2B-4512-A996-4065C181AD56.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, HelpingHands said:

You have to be careful buying proofs at these regular auctions.

A lot of times people are handling coins out of capsules to weigh them.

Yes that is true, I buy blind quite often. If finger prints are visable on the pictures you can usually get a good price then I just send to numi to have them removed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 08/02/2019 at 03:58, HelpingHands said:

You have to be careful buying proofs at these regular auctions.

A lot of times people are handling coins out of capsules to weigh them.

Or opening capsules & mauling the proof coins to get a better look, I saw someone do exactly that at Laidlaws auction in Carlisle last year. No one stop bidders doing stuff like that, so buying blind is not a good idea IMHO

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

3 hours ago, Kookaburracollector said:

I reckon most of those coins are from one collection, probably some old boy who has passed.  A lifetime of collecting sold off for a fraction of their worth I would imagine.  Makes you think about your own stack and what would happen to it.  Maybe it’s best to sell it off for maximum value before you lose your faculties and either enjoy the proceeds or have cold hard cash to hand down in your will.

14 minutes ago, Goldhooked said:

I reckon most of those coins are from one collection, probably some old boy who has passed.  A lifetime of collecting sold off for a fraction of their worth I would imagine.  Makes you think about your own stack and what would happen to it.  Maybe it’s best to sell it off for maximum value before you lose your faculties and either enjoy the proceeds or have cold hard cash to hand down in your will.

Thanks for that @Goldhooked ..I’m hoping not to depart this world just yet! 😂 

Should the worst happen, and I have time to plan... my children will be contacted by a trusted friend who is a secondary key holder to a very nice safe storage facility in Central London. There they will find my stash.. a stash which for all intents and purposes ‘does not exist’.

As inheritance tax is a problem, other tactics will also be employed, ones not to be discussed on a public forum though!

Hope I live long enough to catch your future posts!

1 minute ago, Kookaburracollector said:

Thanks for that @Goldhooked ..I’m hoping not to depart this world just yet! 😂 

Should the worst happen, and I have time to plan... my children will be contacted by a trusted friend who is a secondary key holder to a very nice safe storage facility in Central London. There they will find my stash.. a stash which for all intents and purposes ‘does not exist’.

As inheritance tax is a problem, other tactics will also be employed, ones not to be discussed on a public forum though!

Hope I live long enough to catch your future posts!

When I said ‘you’ I didn’t mean you personally, I meant all of us :D 

My worry is that my kids won’t be interested in any remaining stack enough to want to try and sell them for maximum value and will just get rid of them to a dealer.  

On a very small scale my neighbour did this recently with a couple of sovereigns he’d acquired from a recently passed family member.  He told me he had them and I said if he ever considered selling them I would be interested.  A couple of weeks later he proudly told me he had sold them to a local dealer for less than £200 per sov :( 

• Founder & Administrator

I have edited your title to make it fit in more with the forum formatting design, (Generally I remove all uppercase titles as it loose like shouting and other formatting that can make it appear as shouting) I hope you don't mind. :)

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

6 hours ago, ChrisSIlver said:

I have edited your title to make it fit in more with the forum formatting design, (Generally I remove all uppercase titles as it loose like shouting and other formatting that can make it appear as shouting) I hope you don't mind. :)

But that’s how we talk in Yorkshire! 😂 

They are normally bang in estimate to be honest, especially the bullion. 

Its the fees that take the price up so the seller is losing out big time. 

Especially after the selling commission is taking off. 

• 4 weeks later...

I saw this for auction a couple of weeks ago but didn't have time to go for a look.

784f4538-3f0b-43d8-8a30-aa0000e8c486.jpg?w=540&h=360

Somebody must have asked for some extra photos which weren't there earlier.

I wonder if it looked like this before the viewing days.

638c756f-403a-463c-b41d-aa0000e56ecd.jpg?w=540&h=360

39e23605-e384-4797-b4f1-aa0000e56cd5.jpg?w=540&h=360

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/bolton-auction-rooms/catalogue-id-srbolt10264/lot-43c0964c-46b4-4e4d-9edf-a9ff0113ae3f

The half sov sold for £260 before fees.

It looks like it’s been at the bottom of an ashtray...who would buy that !

I remember when full sovereigns were £50 plus commission at auction...how things change. 

Auctions are places to buy not sell, I think most coins sold at auctions are from deceased estates..I hope my kids know not to sell my stash at auction..I think i will have words with them in the morning!..plus tell them where the loot is hidden😂 

Archived