• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Introduction StevenDS

StevenDS

Hello all,

I know it’s appreciated when joining a forum to give an introduction.

After having reached my exposure target to crypto I have started looking for alternative investments which can weather a likely economic crisis in the near future. This led me to precious metals.

Apart from gold I looked into silver, palladium and platinum. Platinum, catalyst for diesel engines, doesn’t seem like a safe bet. Palladium, catalyst for petrol engines, is at an all-time high which I stay away from. This left gold and silver. The gold vs silver ratio currently leads me more towards silver, which I would turn into gold if/when the ratio becomes much smaller. Then the final decision is between paper or physical. I don’t trust paper, so the choice for physical is evident for me.

I just recently started, so I’m still figuring out my strategy, but I also care about the fun factor, which you will see reflected in the choices I have made so far. To better understand my choices, it’s important to note that I live in Belgium. I will therefore stay away from silver non-coin bars, because these are subject to 21% VAT in Europe. Only for silver, not for gold. For gold I will only look for bars. These are highly liquid and closest to spot.

My choices so far:

Preferred silver bullion coin with lowest premium: Canadian Maple Leaves 1oz

Silver bullion coins with higher premiums: Queen’s Beast series both 2oz and 10 oz, Dragon and Phoenix/Tiger/… 1oz, Rectangle Dragon coin bar 1oz, Silver Valiant 10oz, Libertad 2oz, and a few more I like visually (R.A.O.E 2018 Gibraltar, spade Guinea 2018 East Indian Company)

Belgian circulated silver (83,5 and 90%) and gold (90%) coins

The higher premium bullion coins and the Belgian circulated coins are the once I consider for fun. The future will tell whether these can also generate a decent profit.

Let me know if anyone is interested in seeing the Belgian coins. I will then create a separate post with pictures. I focus on below 6 coins.

5 frank Leopold I 1833 (90% silver)

5 frank Leopold I 1849-1851 (90% silver)

20 frank Leopold I 1865 (90% gold)

5 frank Leopold II 1868-1873 (90% silver)

20 frank Leopold II 1878 (90% gold)

50 frank Regent Karel 1948-1950 (83,5% silver)

Archived