• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What's your average silver price

silverdocket

I've just finished working out the total amount of money spent on my silver to date including  postage  and money transfer fees.

It's coming in at a average of €16.77 an  ounce 

Thats a mixture of bars and coins 

Has anybody else done this?

i have little idea on what the average price is.

My silver stack is a heterogeneous thing - Some is proof and collectible silver that is in the £30's - would you include this? i don't think that would be helpful or relevant.

I would guess that excluding proof, vintage collecter bars, special coins etc etc, my price is something like yours. Some was bought in the £12's and i doubt much if any was bought when spot was above $17 - $18.

In the end i don't intend to sell off until silver is much higher - in a bubble and it makes sense to swap out for something i think has potential and has a bombed out price.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

I do track mine because I think it's important to know how much of your income and net worth you have in PMs as well as in anything, but i's not all that important if you are cost-averaging because it's just a function of spot price.

I cringe a bit when I see people say "I want to get my average price down below $x amount." Why? It's not under your control. 

I pity the fool who sells up as soon as spot climbs 1% above his average price.

I have a sterling engagement ring in there, that cost me €80,00 for 6,75g fine 😥

But let's see... Most of my silver is bought over the counter, and I do not have the shipping costs for the few online transactions I do listed, so I come to €15.88

That includes a couple of more expensive collector's pieces.

And I did not calculate the silverware my parents 'donated' when sorting out their kitchen (melt one day).

I also track price by spot, and I'm afraid, I'm not at a break even yet 😐

I have many average prices as there are numerous different types of silver to collect and sell. Comparing to spot is rarely important unless you are selling scrap in large amounts IMHO.

My average for bars and rounds is much lower than my average for pandas. I doubt many people here would ever expect to sell any of their collections with the spot price in mind...only a sucker would sell for spot on silver...gold is a different of course.

It’s all about about what you can sell for, and that to some extent is determined by the supply of, and demand for what you are trying to sell.

I do track on a spreadsheet the selling prices of many of the items I hold. Spot for me, on both gold and silver is far more important for trading puproses (equities/ ETF’s etc).

I'm currently at £16.61 and it's crept steadily upwards ever since I went overboard with the big purchases of £1000's or more from Silver-to-go or Goldsilver.Be where my average was nearer £13.  I have only been stacking since the beginning of 2015 and I went too hard too fast to the extent that I can no longer afford the big orders so am placing more smaller orders from UK sellers so now every time I buy coins my averge creeps up a few pence.  My stack has some low mintage bullion silver that holds decent premium that I bought to complete collections - half oz lunar rabbits for £50 or the first Chiwoo Cheongwangs for £60 etc, stuff like this does your cost average no favours but when selling I should get back what I laid out as the going rate then is still the going rate now.

The really premium stuff like proofs and graded coins I don't even include in my bullion silvers stack I have a premium silver spreadsheet for these instead where the average is £33.00 an oz

7 hours ago, sixgun said:

i have little idea on what the average price is.

My silver stack is a heterogeneous thing - Some is proof and collectible silver that is in the £30's - would you include this? i don't think that would be helpful or relevant.

I would guess that excluding proof, vintage collecter bars, special coins etc etc, my price is something like yours. Some was bought in the £12's and i doubt much if any was bought when spot was above $17 - $18.

In the end i don't intend to sell off until silver is much higher - in a bubble and it makes sense to swap out for something i think has potential and has a bombed out price.

Completely forgot about vintage  and proof coins...

I only have bullion at the moment 

I suppose you might have to work out two averages lol lol 

1 hour ago, vand said:

I do track mine because I think it's important to know how much of your income and net worth you have in PMs as well as in anything, but i's not all that important if you are cost-averaging because it's just a function of spot price.

I cringe a bit when I see people say "I want to get my average price down below $x amount." Why? It's not under your control. 

I pity the fool who sells up as soon as spot climbs 1% above his average price.

Two ways I'm selling 

When the gold to silver ratio corrects itself  or when I'm stuck for cash 

1 hour ago, KevinFlynn said:

I have a sterling engagement ring in there, that cost me €80,00 for 6,75g fine 😥

But let's see... Most of my silver is bought over the counter, and I do not have the shipping costs for the few online transactions I do listed, so I come to €15.88

That includes a couple of more expensive collector's pieces.

And I did not calculate the silverware my parents 'donated' when sorting out their kitchen (melt one day).

I also track price by spot, and I'm afraid, I'm not at a break even yet 😐

I think to safe zone is around two euro above spot.

My first purchase of four 1 kg bars  

From the UK  killed me paying tax 

Greenhorn mistake.....

33 minutes ago, Scuzzle said:

I'm currently at £16.61 and it's crept steadily upwards ever since I went overboard with the big purchases of £1000's or more from Silver-to-go or Goldsilver.Be where my average was nearer £13.  I have only been stacking since the beginning of 2015 and I went too hard too fast to the extent that I can no longer afford the big orders so am placing more smaller orders from UK sellers so now every time I buy coins my averge creeps up a few pence.  My stack has some low mintage bullion silver that holds decent premium that I bought to complete collections - half oz lunar rabbits for £50 or the first Chiwoo Cheongwangs for £60 etc, stuff like this does your cost average no favours but when selling I should get back what I laid out as the going rate then is still the going rate now.

The really premium stuff like proofs and graded coins I don't even include in my bullion silvers stack I have a premium silver spreadsheet for these instead where the average is £33.00 an oz

Sounds like you're well organised,

I do keep track of all my purchases  because the day will come when you choose to sell them and I won't be able to remember back all those years.

lol 

43 minutes ago, silverdocket said:

I think to safe zone is around two euro above spot.

My first purchase of four 1 kg bars  

From the UK  killed me paying tax 

Greenhorn mistake.....

I have some 1kg and 500g bars with full VAT as well.

I wanted them...

It was stronger...

I'm feeling the urge to calculate averages for pure bullion, collector's bullion and junk (melt at 80%).

Along with with VAT and without VAT, with shipping overhead and without shipping overheadPremium factor, worst case melt and variable percentage trade bonus.

Everything worth doing is worth overdoing 😁

Whilst I do track every purchase I make including cost of delivery, fees if applicable, etc I don't then work out the average per oz. @sixgun explains perfectly why I don't do this. My buying strategy for the most part is based upon what I think is cheap and what I can get a good deal on. It is mostly bullion coins and I suppose it could make sense to separate those out and work out average cost/oz but I do also buy proof coins when I feel they are undervalued as well as semi numismatics and I just don't see how an average which included those coins could be a fair reflection of anything.

1 hour ago, Guybrush said:

I can tell you exactly its £17.69 per oz or £0.57 per gram.

I created a tool so I can see this information as my stack changes.  I can also see the exact breakdown per country of origin (Mainly UK coins)

silver-by-country.png

Yeah I was looking at that the other day pretty cool I'm going to pull out on the laptop 

2 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

Whilst I do track every purchase I make including cost of delivery, fees if applicable, etc I don't then work out the average per oz. @sixgun explains perfectly why I don't do this. My buying strategy for the most part is based upon what I think is cheap and what I can get a good deal on. It is mostly bullion coins and I suppose it could make sense to separate those out and work out average cost/oz but I do also buy proof coins when I feel they are undervalued as well as semi numismatics and I just don't see how an average which included those coins could be a fair reflection of anything.

It's quite simply a post just to see what peoples averages are...

I thought it might be an  interesting topic.

Added 0 minutes later...
1 hour ago, KevinFlynn said:

I'm feeling the urge to calculate averages for pure bullion, collector's bullion and junk (melt at 80%).

Along with with VAT and without VAT, with shipping overhead and without shipping overheadPremium factor, worst case melt and variable percentage trade bonus.

Everything worth doing is worth overdoing 😁

You're going to be a busy boy 

1 minute ago, silverdocket said:

It's quite simply a post just to see what peoples averages are...

I thought it might be an  interesting topic.

Yeah I nearly didn't respond on that basis but you got me to answer based on asking if anyone else did this. It is an interesting topic and you do have me thinking what my average would be for the pure bullion coins/bars that I have. When you worked yours out was it based solely on bullion coins/bars? I might have a go of separating those out on my spreadsheet just to see how things compare.

17 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

Yeah I nearly didn't respond on that basis but you got me to answer based on asking if anyone else did this. It is an interesting topic and you do have me thinking what my average would be for the pure bullion coins/bars that I have. When you worked yours out was it based solely on bullion coins/bars? I might have a go of separating those out on my spreadsheet just to see how things compare.

Yes bullion bars and coins 

I'd love to see some of the long-term stacker prices 

Unfortunately I'm not experienced enough to be buying premium coins Yet.

lol

On a related note,  more "mistakes I made when I started stacking" kind of thing.  I kept all receipts either that came with metal or email receipts but some (Like ebay purchases) I never bothered.  Didnt matter until I wanted to work things like this out and some coins like the uk lunar horse/sheep I had to estimate what I paid for them because I only remember the ballpark and didnt keep the details.

Lesson learned.. Track your stack :D

Archived